Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Question for Dorsett Catalina owners

Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50308

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
As a new owner of a Dorsett Catalina I would like recommendations concerning fuel tank size and locations. I don't want to trim to low in the stern.

Thanks
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50314

Can't help you on tank replacement....but beautiful boat! This is my favorite and missed out on bidding on one that was on ebay located in Joplin Mo. in October. Again, love the boat!

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50325

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
This is the one from Joplin. It had been completely restored by an owner in WA. I haven't had a chance to get it in the water, illness and etc. I'm hoping for next week.

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50327

I can now say I have one but it is a long way from being ready for a motor or gas tanks. I think much of this question can only be answered by you on the water. If you already have the motor start with a 6 gallon in the back and get some bags of salt or whatever to put the weight where you think you would want to put the tanks. IF you don't like the performance don't put it there. It also depends on your use. Short trips are better suited to small tanks that you can rotate. I like them because I can mix at a pump when I fill and also use the fuel for other boats too.

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50330

now that I look at the picture more closely I should have seen that it was myself. You not a fan of the bow tank in the cabin huh? What motor are you putting on her?

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50331

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I had two 6 Gal portables in the rear and I would put another in the cabin on the deck for longer cruises , if you have enough H.P. it does not really matter. When I first got the boat it had an Evenrude 40 H.P. it would get up on a plane but had to get everything forward including the first Mate. When I stepped up to an 85 H.P.(Franken) Merc. had no issues at all , jumped right out of the water . They are a bit tippy from side to side because you are up so high so when people move around it is really noticeable.
Attachments:

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50332

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm going to remove the bow tank. No empirical evidence, but it just didn't seem right. It also took away the berths. One of my interests was in finding a boat similar to a VW camper. I put a Nissan 30 hp 4 stroke on, because that is what I had on a small river boat. It is probably to small but I wanted to try it out. I don't really want to spend a lot of money on an engine. I have been looking at some in the 70 hp range. I was also concerned about weight in the stern. I'll take the advise already given about moving portable tanks around.

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50333

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I had read your earlier posts concerning the HP which caused me to conclude that 30 HP wasn't going to be sufficient, but I wanted to try prior to investing in a larger motor. I really like the looks of your boat the way you have fitted out the forward cabin. Thanks for your reply. Dennis

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50342

Great restoration.

I use an 18 gallon tank that fits under the spash well. It feeds a 60 HP Mercury 4-stroke. It has worked perfectly for two seasons. (Picture from early in the 2008 restoration)
Attachments:

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50354

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I like the looks of this installation. Are you satisfied with the performance of your 60 HP? What is your fuel consumption and miles per hour. I like your yellow color.

Thanks

Dennis

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50355

I love the 60 HP Mercury. Jumps up on plain and has the slowest trolling speed. Very quite. I fill-up twice a summer. Trolls all day and I can't see any change on the gas gauge. I don't know the MPG, but it beats my old 115 HP 2-stroke Suzuki by a mile.
Attachments:

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 10 months ago #50361

wow i like this thread,some beautiful cruisers here,and welcome ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 2 months ago #65053

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I have been able to go boating in the Dorsett Catalina several times. I get many thumbs up as this is one good looking boat. However I have concluded that this just isn't the boat for me and I want to sell it.

How do I establish a selling price? The boat is water ready, completely rebuilt by the previous owner.

Thanks

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 2 months ago #65064

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Try the classified section here or your local Craigs list. You know what you paid for it and in the boating world if you get what you have into it back, then you have done great.Usually I can get most of my money back but get nothing for hundreds of hours of Labor. I guess that's why it's called a "Labor of Love " I sold that one above in the pictures for $4000 Boat, motor & trailer and felt good getting it ??? Good Luck !! [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/Rear_shot_Me [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/891.JPG

Re:Question for Dorsett Catalina owners 12 years 2 months ago #65138

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
bhamrick

Thanks. This boat is unique around here. I guess I should check the WA and OR Craig's list.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online