Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I'm back, have a new el cheapo project (NEW PICS)

I'm back, have a new el cheapo project (NEW PICS) 12 years 10 months ago #50089

Hey folks- I have not posted for about 2-3 years, on the old site.

The economy was/still is pretty rough on my boating endeavors. I sold my '59 Glasspar Lido after getting about 25% into the resto, and sold my '57 Lone Star Nassau after getting it to about 40%. Sadly, eating was more important than boat projects. But as I say, "treading water is the new success", so I reckon I'm successful!

I have a project boat slowly coming along- but I'm not sure you will like it. It's not the first time it's been done, but there are not many out there.

I have a 1977 MacGregor 25' sailboat that I am converting into an economical cruiser. There is really not much work involved, the boat and trailer were very solid, but the mast was bent. I got it for $250, and after selling the mast, sails, rigging, rudder, and motor mount, it is now free. I found a 2001 Evinrude 8 HP 4 stroke that was only used for one weekend and put away, bought it for $350. Sometimes my little Craigslist habit pays off.

This boat has a 600 lb swing keel that I will fix in the up position, as such it only draws 16". So far I have built a motor well for the outboard and begun to reinforce the cabin roof where the original plywood core was weak. The rest of the work involves mostly minor repairs, cleaning, and painting. (I'll be rolling and tipping as I learned here.) One neat feature is the 4' x 4' "pop top" on the cabin roof that allows standing headroom.

So, I will have a 25' econo-cruiser that sips maybe a half-gallon per hour, sleeps 5, has a potty for the wife, and a rudimentary galley- for under $1000 total. The most expensive component will be a 6' wide x 8' long bimini over the cockpit.

I know this is not a classic in any sense, and I'll post in the disco section if that is desired, or not at all if folks think this is stupid. I got a lot of info from the MacGregor forums, but made the mistake of mentioning what I was doing- that was dropping a turd in the punchbowl, believe me! But it is a cheap way for my and the family to get on the lake, a river or two, and periodically the ICW. Besides, it's not rare or anything, it would take thousands to get it in sailing condition... and sailing is way too much like work!!

This pic is soon after I got it home and powerwashed it.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50096

Should be a fun boat. If you don't need to go 40, this is a great way to get out there cheap. Perfect for rivers where speed is restricted.

Being a long time sailor and having experience with trailerable cruisers, I think you should take the boat out and try it before you fix the keel in place. There is little if any skeg on a lot of those boats and they can be a little squirrely without anything. Drop the keel 6-8" and the handling should improve remarkably.

Good luck with it.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50104

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Well you're right about one thing. Sailing IS way too much like work. And it's all fun work to the max!! I couldn't agree with thetudor any more about NOT fixing the keel in the upright position. If you have the means to hold it up there in a temporary fashion then what's the difference? You may want to drop it at some point. IMHO. Good luck with her.
Shipster

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50105

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looks like an interesting project.

I'm not surprised that you caught some flak from the boys on the Macgregor forums about the 'conversion', it seems to be one of those boats that people get defensive about... They are OK sailboats- Not great quality, not great handlers... Not great ANYTHING, but cheap and not BAD. I've sailed a few, and owned one of the smaller models. They are perfect for what they were intended for- a cheap way to get out on the water for those who otherwise probably couldn't.

And, loosing the sailing rig isn't such a bad thing... It's a lot of work, and not the best sailboat out there anyway. If you were doing this to a nice classic Tartan or something, I'd be on the next plane over there to personally slap you. But, a MacGregor- No problem :)

I'll 3rd the keep the keel as is for now vote... That is one of the most tender boats I have ever sailed- The day will come when you're glad you've got that extra weight down low!

-Andrew

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50125

Thanks for the comments! I'm looking forward to cheap weekends on the lakes next spring. Slow is cool, it should do about 8 MPH tops.

I am going to splash the boat and see how it does before I make any permanent changes to the keel. In the up position, it hangs down close to a foot and is about 4-5 feet long- seems like that would provide enough keel to make her go fairly straight, without making it hard to turn.

The keel is kind of a problem issue for these boats, around the pivot bolt and with the cable and winch used to raise and lower. Lots of stories about folks loosing them! Seems to me like 600 lbs mounted low would make it fairly stable (even in the up position), despite the round bottom. My thoughts at this point are to add a second bolt to hold the keel up, fill the trunk with foam, and fiberglass it in smoothly, fairing the blunt ends a little.

I know she will rock a bit, but 95% of my time will be in protected waters, mostly NC lakes. I'd be pretty silly to think a $1000 boat would have no minor drawbacks. The big plus is a 25' boat that is light and easy to tow and launch. At some point I want to roll over to Tennessee and check out some of the larger rivers. But a trip on the ICW is in the cards once she is sorted out.

It was a little scary taking a skillsaw to the transom and cutting out for the motor well, but with 3/4" ply and West System (coolest stuff ever!) the motor well is the strongest part of the boat now. I'll post a pic of it shortly.

Re: I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50126

chris simes.

welcome back.

interesting project! your boat should go about 6.25MPH & probably use about (according to my calculations/SWAG) about ONE GALLON every SIX hours at that speed.

yours, sat

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re: I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50127

chris simes.

welcome back.

interesting project! your boat should go about 6.25MPH & probably use about (according to my calculations/SWAG) about ONE GALLON every SIX hours at that speed.

yours, sat

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50134

chris it doesnt matter what you are using ,as long as you get on the water.
i had a 17 foot cabin cruiser with a 9.9 on it ,because the lakes around my area are 10 hp limit lakes,it did pretty well,just have great days on the lake,with your family,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50136

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Chris, I think you are doing what a lot of us thought about at one time or another, I know I have. Some of the older sailboats can really be picked up on the cheap and are quite comfortable inside. Cool rainy days on the water make a cabin inviting. Good luck, keep us posted with PICTURES.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project- PHOTOS 12 years 10 months ago #50203

sat: I love that fuel economy projection!! The motor only came with a 3-gallon tank, but that's a lot of cruising.

OOPS- My pics are too big... I set up a Photobucket album: s1124.photobucket.com/albums/l572/chrisinraleigh/

Here are some pics I took today, some older. Several show my outdoor workshop with the tarp roof. I'm fixing to rework the "roof" to lower it some, since with the leaves falling it is more visible. But the fence keeps the boat from looking sketchy to the neighbors. I think the boat has nice lines, and will not look too strange as a powerboat.

Several pics of the motor well. The old motor mount would have me reaching way over the edge to steer (originally you would use the rudder), my motor was too heavy, plus I couldn't tilt the motor up. This arrangement is very comfortable to tiller-steer the motor, and the low cabin is easy to see over sitting down. And yes, once the skillsaw comes out, it's the point of no return!

Pic of the cabin roof reinforcement. The mast post stays, since the wall dividing the dinette from the head attaches to it. I fitted the boards to the roof and epoxied them in, and will have a layer of 1/4" plywood epoxied between them. You'll be able to dance up there.

The trailer bunks were shot, several pics of that project.

One shot of the day it came home, all nasty. Some interior pics.

Finally a shot of the keel- you see it is almost 12" deep, and 5 feet long, but kind of blunt, not streamlined at all.

Other pics as well...

Re:I'm back, have a new el cheapo project 12 years 10 months ago #50206

Chris,
Sorry late to this post. Great idea for that hull. It will be a unique cruiser and it will get you out there. i totally agree with the sailing being to much like work. Had to do it for the Navy for a class and I learned I just want to turn the key, hit the throttle and take off!!!!!!!!!! :woohoo:

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.398 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online