• Page:

TOPIC: New tool...

New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50046

• Andgott
  • Andgott's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have wanted one of these for YEARS... It will make lifting motors and caps off boats SO much easier-

It was nasty and rusted when I got it- So it was the perfect chance for me to try out my other 'new' tool- The Compressor that I picked up a few months back at a garage sale (for $40!)...

The compressor did a GREAT job with the LPLV sprayer that I used. It was the first time I used the gun, this made a great thing to practice on. It is a LOT better than what I was using before to spray, for sure. I've got two trailers, my '66 ford truck, and the roof of my jeep to spray- And once I've practiced on all those, I can spray my Volksboat and Lake N Sea... By then, I'll be a pro!!

I'll rig a 1 ton chainfall on the gantry- Which should be enough to lift pretty much anything I need to. It's 10 feet tall- Luckily, my garage has 11 foot ceilings ;)

-Andrew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50051

Boy, that is really cool Andrew! Where did you get it? I have a 1 ton chain hoist I don't use much now that I have low ceilings. You'll get a lot of use out of that baby!

Frank

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50056

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It was a Craigslist find... I've been meaning to make one of them for a while, But finding one premade and ready to go is MUCH better- And, it cost less than buying the steel would have- Let alone the casters, etc.

It was a lot uglier when it got here, though- I pressure washed it, hit it with a grinder with a wire brush, and primed and painted it. I probably didn't NEED to clean it up like that, But- I like my tools to look & function as well as the items I fix with them!!

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50058

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Good score buddy. Like that three lung compressor, my oldie is a two lunger and has a hard time keeping up with the hvlp. A chainfall on that baby will complete the set.
PS. You have a good eye for vehicles. I see the Cherokee in the background.
Attachments:

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50059

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
63 Sabre wrote:

You have a good eye for vehicles. I see the Cherokee in the background.

Yup- That's my $1000 special- Yet another craigslist find! 2dr '96, w/ 4.0L I-6... One of the BEST engines an American Automaker ever built... The only thing 'wrong' with it was that the clearcoat was peeling, and the interior was BEYOND disgusting- Cats had even been living in it! A few days of heavy cleaning and a new headliner, and she's as good as new. Only 180K miles, too- Which is nothing for those badboys... I keep finding them on CL with 250-300k on them going strong!

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50071

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice score Andrew, that ought to make life a lot easier in the restoration business! I'm jealous! :laugh:

Mark

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50086

Andrew,
Great new toys!!!!!! I just made a hoist/gantry out of 2"x4"'s. It's posted in my "what's been keeping me busy" thread. Excellent find on both of those finds. Great price on the 3 lunger! Haven't seen one of those before.

Bob

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50101

One thing I can vouch for all here. Between boats and tools and you have our full attention.

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50107

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Bob- I saw that thread, Nice! I had a wood one like that I have used for several projects... Mine wasn't quite that nice, and I didn't really trust it for heavier things like outboards.

This was a lucky find, for sure. I was going to build another wooden one like yours, or possibly weld one of these up, but when I found this for $100, I jumped on it. I could hardly buy the wood/hardware to make one, and couldn't have bought the steel, for that- Let alone those massive locking casters. Plus, I feel a little better about lifting on a steel frame!

The compressor is actually a two cylinder, the third 'cylinder' is where the valves are. It is showing signs of it's age, and probably will need a rebuild in the near future, but that's fine with me. It's a Dayton Speedaire pump, and Grainger has parts for them. It is a slightly older model- But when it was last sold a few years ago, the pump alone was over $1300.... So, If I've got to drop a few bucks into fixing it, I still end up ahead.

The hope is, however, she'll make it through the projects I've got :)

-Andrew\

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50124

Yeah if I could have found a gantry for that price I would have jumped on it also. Dayton made/make good compressors and it's nice to have Grainger's for the parts. That should last you a long time, even if it needs a quick rebuild.

Bob

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50144

I want one. I want one. I want one.

Andreas

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50157

nice compressor buddy,i have rebuilt my "oilless" cambell housefeild once ,i now spray fogging oil in the air filter,so far ive been lucky since then,but i think the old girl will give it up soon,(hey lorraine, guess what i want for christmas,lol)john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50167

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I did my first 'lift' today- Not for the boat, but I was able to lift the truck cab with no problem-

It only took a few minutes- as opposed to when I was 'manhandling' it myself... This thing is heavy- Just ask Mark :)

I lifted myself, too... Right up to the top :)

-Andrew

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50173

Man o man Andrew, that is SO cool! Good for you, heck of a deal, and sure looks purty...

What year truck ya got there?

Frank

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50181

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
PC1000 wrote:

Man o man Andrew, that is SO cool! Good for you, heck of a deal, and sure looks purty...

What year truck ya got there?

Thanks, Frank...

That is a new cab for my '66 Ford-

(Sorry, Everyone is probably tired of seeing that photo- But I love it :) )

It had rusted out floors, and I discovered that the cab mounts had 'issues' as well. Turns out it was cheaper to replace the cab than to buy all the replacement sheet metal and weld it in to the old one...

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50200

Works great buddy, good on ya!

Bob

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50243

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..A.: How did you get it home.? Seller delivery , or use a boat trailer.?.... Spent all Sunday afternoon on drive, grinding, prime & bolting along with ya.. To make the Merc parts metal rack , that a church friend at the lake here gave... I put a few more angle braces, & mark for my wall.

Got three sets of caster Dolly's at the Flea mkt $ 2 each. Helped move it around.. Circular saw blades $ 1 each... Got it bolted upwards this am,& LOOKS SWEET. . Young customer came & bought a
40 tiller motor... Demo in tank started & re-started on 1st pull .!

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50246

-Andrew[/quote]

After???
Attachments:

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50247

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I did the first 'boat related' lift today... I wheeled the cap from the Lake N sea up from the basement shop, and flipped it over so I could clean and work on the underside. This made it super easy- I had it flipped and ready to go in 10 minutes, without any help!

I'm actually looking forward to flipping the hull now. EVERYONE needs one of these :)

-Andrew

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50255

What search term did you use in Craigslist?
Gantry?
Crane?

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50258

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
jim18611865 wrote:

What search term did you use in Craigslist?
Gantry?
Crane?

I've seen them listed as-

Gantry
Crane
A-Frame
Engine lift/hoist

This one was listed as an A-Frame... I didn't search it, though- I 'stumbled' on it browsing the local CL in the tools section. I've run across them a few times before, but usually they were MUCH more pricey!

-Andrew

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50259

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
CAT*FIN*k wrote:

Hmmm... The cab in the photo is a replacement for the one that's on my truck now- BUT, I'll have the old cab to get rid of...Other than the mounts and floor, it's in great shape. Now you've got me thinking :)

-Andrew

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50261

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Andrew and Cat,

I'm all for everyone having the boat of their dreams and doing it up their way, but that pontoon truck says Redneck to me - loud and clear!!!

Hey listen...I hear Ned Beatty humming dueling banjos in the background.....

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50262

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I was tinkering with the compressor today- I thought that the rings were leaking, causing 'blowback' into the oil reservoir. It turns out that the oil level was just WAY too high in the sump. She's running like new now-

I am AMAZED at how quiet it is compared to the oilless 'Pancake' compressor that I've got- Especially considering how much more air this thing is putting out. It has no problem keeping up with the sprayer- Only cycles on every couple of minutes when I'm painting.

-Andrew

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50263

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Todd wrote:

Hey Andrew and Cat,

I'm all for everyone having the boat of their dreams and doing it up their way, but that pontoon truck says Redneck to me - loud and clear!!!

Hey listen...I hear Ned Beatty humming dueling banjos in the background.....

C'mon now, I DO live in S.E. Tennessee... Deliverance was filmed not to far from me :)

Besides- That 'rig' doesn't have NEARLY the redneckery involved as this one-

Now THAT is a redneck...

Re:New tool... 12 years 10 months ago #50306

andrew, put your old cab on CL i bet there is some one out there looking for one.

woosterken

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online