• Page:

TOPIC: Does this boat need stringers??

Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #49976

• TWIZLR
  • TWIZLR's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Forum is great and I get a lot of info from lurking, now it's time to ask a question. I got this 1964 14' flat bottom International Fiberglass Eliminator from a friend on the site. My question is "Did this boat originally come with stringers?" Phil had put some in and they're in good shape, but they where coming up in a few spots, so I decided to take them out and prep it for better bonding with the floor. After removal, it appears as if it never had them. Phil had a giant E-Tec motor on this prior to me. I'm looking to put a 65hp-100hp on it. Any help would be appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #49982

• TWIZLR
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
some pics to help out. I'm just curious if it came with them. Most likly going to install them again unless there are reasons not too.

before removal

after

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #49983

• TWIZLR
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
The boat as Phil owned it

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #49987

Unless you are doing a 100% pure restoration, I would consider adding them. It will really stiffen the hull and could be helpful on a boat that has been around a while. Especially with a large, high hp outboard. There could be a lot of flex without it.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #50041

Looks like you are making good progress, Mike. It had three-foot long jump seats behind the front seats. The bases helped a little I suppose to add strength to the floor. Is the floor still in good shape? Please put the stringers back in. I ran the boat without them at first. The floor looked like a flag blowing in the wind. I put the access panels in the floor so I could inspect the stringers from time to time. Have any luck on finding a motor? See ya at the lake! Phil

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #50163

• TWIZLR
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Gabe has been working on it every weekend, and is making progress. I am going to put them back in. I have a couple of ideas to modify it a bit incase I get a big motor. Yes Phil the floor is in really good shape especially for an old boat. Motor wise, when a deal comes up, I'll pounce on it. Like the looks of the older Mercs or Rudes but will try to get the best and newest O/B that I can afford. I'll be at the lake next weekend at the houseboat to help work on it. See you out there.

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #50177

Keep in mind that I chizzled out he old floor and glassed in all new plywood. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy since flat wood had to bond to the curved hull. Most boats have the stringers bonded to the hull and then the floor on top of the stringers.

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #50179

Keep in mind that I chizzled out he old floor and glassed in all new plywood. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy since flat wood had to bond to the curved hull. Most boats have the stringers bonded to the hull and then the floor on top of the stringers.

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 10 months ago #50180

Re:Does this boat need stringers?? 12 years 7 months ago #56190

Hello,
I'm new to this site and to "Glassic" boats.
I picked up a 1965 Eliminator last year and have been working on it.
It doesn't have stringers and the floor seems pretty sturdy although I haven't had it on the water yet. It was a barn find that had been sitting for 30 years so it hasn't seen that much use. It has the original 1965 100hp "Tower of Power" Merc with a 2 blade prop. I would imagine it will move out.

What are you using for seats? The mice completely ate mine.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online