• Page:

TOPIC: GPS android app

GPS android app 12 years 10 months ago #49684

• 59Hustler
  • 59Hustler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Does any one know of an android app that will allow navigation on the water. I tried google and AT&T today and they wanted to put me on the road. even when I went to walking mode.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:GPS android app 12 years 10 months ago #49687

I use one on my I-phone, cost $10, covers the southern us including salt water. It's by navonics. Chances are there is one for other phones.

Re:GPS android app 12 years 10 months ago #50760

speed tracker free version works great and its exact i tried it in my car and it told me exact speed and it worked on the water too

Re:GPS android app 12 years 10 months ago #51229

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I have long been a fan of Memory-Map used on the Window OS, because I could generate routes on the desktop and transfer to handhelds using Topographic maps, or nautical charts. However they haven't yet produced a version for the Android OS.

I have just recently installed, on my Samsung Fascinate, MM Tracker. It reads topo maps and nautical charts, those with *.qct files. I haven't used the charts yet, but they do load. Topo maps work just fine using them in the car. If MM Tracker works like Memory-Map, you should get accurate locations.

None of the topo maps I loaded have names, but with the GPS locked the correct map was loaded, so finding the correct map from a list of numbered files wasn't a problem. When my position ran off the edge of the map, the correct map loaded automatically. My charts are named making the loading of the correct chart easier. It will be some time before I can check out the charts, however if they perform differently I will report back.

Dennis

Re:GPS android app 12 years 10 months ago #51260

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I tried GPS essentials This last week up at Clear Lake. It worked okay But I am still looking.. Boat ramps by USboats proved good for finding a ,.llaunch ramp and also helped me to find where I launched from when I came back in. My first time out on a lake that big.

Re:GPS android app 12 years 10 months ago #51868

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I'm retracting my recommendation of MM Tracker as a software for Android. There may be a question about the legality of this software. There is a possibility that there was an inappropriate use of Memory-Map software in the creation of MM Tracker.

I'm currently using a Beta version of Memory-Map on a Samsung Fascinate. With topographic maps it works as well as it did on windows. I haven't had a chance to use it with nautical charts yet but I would image it is going to perform as well.

I would recommend you contact Memory-Map via their website or call Ron at 607 216 9195. tell him I sent you.

Regards

Dennis W. Wright

Re:GPS android app 12 years 9 months ago #51897

• 59Hustler
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks I will check out there Webb site. If I decide to buy I will definitely give them your name. :)

Re:GPS android app 12 years 9 months ago #51903

GOOGLE MAPS
accurate to 2 meters
use it on the water all the time

Re:GPS android app 12 years 9 months ago #51909

I don't know if this helps or if they have Apps. I have a laptop with a Delorme GPS ant that came with a Rand McNally map software. For reading & plotting with the BBS marine charts I use Maptech software. They both work well for live navigation. When I picked up the King Cat I had to use it to get home, 4 days cruising, when the 3 chartplotters on the boat didn't work for one reason or another. It's also handy to plot without having to be on the boat, just transfer info. Worldwide BBS marine charts can be downloaded free from the Coast Guard site.

Re:GPS android app 12 years 9 months ago #52123

• Anura16
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The advantage I find with Memory-Map is all of the maps/charts are loaded on my phone I don't have to have a data connection, internet, to download the maps/charts. The only data connection required is for the initial download. Of course the gps radio on the phone cannot be aGPS.

I can purchase only the maps that I need. With the new applications maps are also less expensive.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online