Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat

Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49192

Hi! I am trying to identify my late Grandfather's FG boat. I thought it was an MFG from the 60's but based on the research I have done it does not appear to be (see attached photo). Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49194

I am not sure on the make and year, but I think you might be able to research it by the registration # on the side of the boat?

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49203

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard JM. Have you had a look thru the FG Library yet? I'm sure one of the other members will chime in with suggestions, I'm lousy at this "game" myself. Got a bad case of "CRS"! If I had to guess, I'd say '60-'62 range though?

Mark

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49209

It looks a lot like MFG's Lap strake hull but I see a split windshield. I would say early sixties also.

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49210

Welcome aboard!

Is that you on the deck?

Starcraft, Stuery, MFG, ?????

Andreas

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49255

I agree with Mark also, definitely looks like '60 to '62. Looks like a nice Fatty v4 on the back too!

Bob

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49259

robert-lorigan wrote:

It looks a lot like MFG's Lap strake hull but I see a split windshield. I would say early sixties also.

I gotta agree. The reverse lap on the hull is definitely a MFG characteristic :)

Maybe this one?

www.fiberglassics.com/wiki/images/4/47/Mfgb60005.jpg

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49688

I contacted the Ohio DNR and they said it was a 1961 MFG based on the OH #. As of now I am disputing that based on the pictures I saw online for several reasons. One, at the end of the stern (forgive my novice nomenclature) there is a distinct curve pattern not consistent with MFG boats and two, the windshield is in two pieces. I will continue my research. I was able to find the last person the boat was titled to so I may try to contact him.

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 12 years 11 months ago #49695

hi jmc,as for the windshield ,it could have gotten cracked or was bowing,and someone added the center piece for strength,the same had happened to my cruser by the po,so it might be an add on,just a thought,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 9 years 6 days ago #115770

It has been a few years because I gave up but according to the ODNR the "MFG serial number" is N601173. I just do not see this boat being made by MFG but am desperate to find the manufacturer. A couple of other photos are attached. And yeah that was me 45 years ago in Conneaut, OH...
Attachments:

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 9 years 6 days ago #115772

jmcintee,

WELCOME ABOARD. = NICE period photos/boat, too.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 9 years 5 days ago #115826

It's clearly an MFG Edinboro, probably a 1960. No other boats of that era had that exact hull shape with reversed lapstrake. The Fiberglassics Library clearly shows a split windshield on the 1960 brochure picture. The Westfield was not introduced until 1961 and the Niagara not until 1962, and the Seaway is bigger yet.

The transom curve was on all of the second generation hulls: Corry (1958-1963), Edinboro (1959-1970), Seaway (1960-1967), Westfield (1961-1972), Niagara (1962-1973) and Erie (1965-1966).plus the Sea Cruiser.

Also, MFG was (and still is) based in Ashtabula, OH, and the boat division was in Union City, PA, and most of those early dealers were in PA and OH. You saw those boats everywhere in those areas when I was a kid in the 60's. The picture was taken in Conneaut. Anywhere else than NE Ohio or Western PA, then maybe, but Conneaut is right in the heart of old MFG territory.

Those early ones also had wood floors with aluminum keelsons, along with little fiberglass ribs bonded to the inside of the hull. If you've got those ribs, it's a dead giveaway for an MFG. The ribs were phased out by 1962, except for the Corry. Most of the MFG dealers in those areas sold Johnsons or Evinrudes and the most common motor sold would have been an OMC 75hp V4 on the 1960-1965 Edinboro. Also, measure it. If 16' 6" long, it's an Edinboro.

My brother has our family's last MFG, a 1965 Edinboro with 75hp Evinrude, so I know them well. We've had it in the family for 46 years now. My 1966 Niagara was purchased from a seller in St. Mary's, PA two years ago.

So, definitely an MFG Edinboro. If you have the boat and are anywhere near Cleveland, OH, I'd love to drive out and take a look at it. I have yet to see a 1960 Edinboro; only from pictures.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 9 years 4 days ago #115859

• morris
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
jmcintee,

First welcome aboard. It must be a good feeling to have Granddad's boat. I agree with Dave it appears to be a 60 Edinboro. Ohio like most states back in the early days registered the boat the year it was sold. So it is likely that a 60 was sold and registered as a 61.
I remember the MFG's and have a MFG Sea Cruiser. I am an old Lake county boy myself and at one time you would have thought MFG owned Fairport Harbor with all the MFG's running around. You and Dave ought to get together. It would be cool seeing two MFG's on the lake together.

Al

Glasspar g-3 Owners Club, Marque Club Representative ACBS
www.g3owners.com

Re:Trying to identify my Grandfather's old FG Boat 9 years 4 days ago #115861

Forgot to mention I love the picture of you on the deck of the boat. I have a new granddaughter, and when she's bigger, I'd love to get a similar shot of her on the bow of our Niagara.

Dave Nau - 1966 MFG Niagara with 1963 Mercury 350 (35hp) outboard and 1966 Tee Nee trailer. Second boat is a 1962 MFG Edinboro with a 1984 Evinrude 70hp and Holsclaw trailer.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online