• Page:

TOPIC: Lake Powell in April Anyone?

Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 11 months ago #49159

• John3
  • John3's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
It's been too long since I've had my Boat on Powell. Claire & I are planning on going for a week, on the water, in April starting the 15th. Our plan is to launch at Wahweap and we should be able to get to Bullfrog. We'll need to find a different beach every night. Claire and I will camp on the Boat, others may want to do the same or pitch a tent on shore.
Years ago, when I belonged to the Power Squadron we had an Active Trailer Boating Group. I've attached a couple of pictures from our 1976 Cruise (Please excuse the quality. I had to scan old pictures to get them). We would have 20 or 30 Boats on a Cruise and had to breakup into small groups of 4 or 5 to avoid traffic jams.
Powell is one of the most beautiful places on earth and best seen on the water. If you don't want to trailer your boat. There are plenty of places to rent anything from a Canoe to a Houseboat.
The Dates are still flexible. Anyone want to join us?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 11 months ago #49184

John,

First, nice pictures! What make/year is your cruiser? I'd like to take you up on the offer but it's a bit of a drive for me from Virginia!

Maybe when I retire I can tour the USA with my glassic in tow.

Ken

Hello, World!!

Re: Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 11 months ago #49266

• John3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Ken,
It's a 1967 Dorsett. I bought it in January of 70. I've had it all over the Western US, Puget Sound to San Diego & of course the Colorado River. Even given some thought to hauling it to St Louis. That would be a trip.
There are so many waterways, touring the Country with a boat could be a real kick. Everything looks better from a Boat. Hope you do it.
John

Re:Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 11 months ago #49454

That's a beautiful lake. Good idea for a trip. How about stopping by Lake Mead before or after Powell. Las Vegas Boat Harbor is a great place and I can lead you around. Look close at my avitar and you will see Hoover Dam and the new bypass bridge.

Re:Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 11 months ago #49461

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Morning John3,

That is some beautiful scenery and a beautiful boat. I can see why you escape there to enjoy yourself. Thanks for sharign the pics. As the weather gets colder, pics like this help us all remember the good parts of boating.

Re:Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 10 months ago #49668

• John3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Todd,
Thanks for the good wishes.
John

Re:Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 10 months ago #50759

lake powell is too far from salt lake but i will go out on jordanelle or somewhere closer to sandy

Re:Lake Powell in April Anyone? 12 years 10 months ago #51760

• John3
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Just an update. The trip is Looking Good. As of now there are 3 perhaps 4 Boats going. We're planning on 7 days on the water starting April 15, at Wawheap. I got a new, 2010, Stan Jones Map to go with my 1969 & 1974 versions. A few slight changes over the years. Lake Level was at 3580 ft elevation in 1969, 3660 in 1974, 3638 in 2010 & they're predicting 3627.84 ft in April 2012. Beaches & things change with lake level so we'll have to keep an eye out for overnight locations & Lunch stops.
Also, I got me a new Hand Held GPS, no map in it, just Waypoints that I program in by Lat & Lon. It points directly towards the waypoint, doesn't know about Beaches, Rocks or Sand Bars so we still must keep a sharp lookout. But it tells you your speed, how far it is including when your there, within about 20 feet. So far I've plugged in about 10 spots on Powell. If anyone has a particular site they want to see I can enter it in from my computer.
See you at Powell.
Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays, Happy & Prosperous New Year to All.
John
:laugh:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online