Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: start on the Cobra Commando

start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 11 months ago #48913

Or should I say Commando Cobra?

The gel coat was gone on the decks when I bought it from Ole Red a few - maybe 4 or 5 - years ago. It was just cloth showing and I knew I needed a bit of work on the tops.

Today I pulled it over, got out the pressure washer expecting to take off the moss and crud down in the cloth showing. I didn't expect to be able to wash off the top layer of cloth!

The good news is I think I can just fair it out and gel coat it. I'll probably add a layer on the inside to replace the strength that it's lost.

The sides still have some gelcoat on them. Where it doesn't, the washer is taking off a bit of fuzz, leaving some strands hanging in the breeze. But I think a sanding and gelcoat will fix that.

All in all, it's a pretty cool boat. Unlike a lot of them, it's hand laid, well done and very light. A similar chopper gun boat would be at least twice as thick, probably 3 times, and weigh that much more.

The picture with the wedge shaped area is where I pressure washed off the moss, and the top layer of cloth came along. Took a little longer to get the cloth than the moss, but if the pressure washer can take it off, it must go.

The side view has the washed area to the left, the right wasn't touched yet.

Got started this afternoon, will finish in the morning. Then this winter it'll be ready to work on when I'm stuck inside.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 11 months ago #48914

Austinsailor wrote:

Or should I say Commando Cobra?

The gel coat was gone on the decks when I bought it from Ole Red a few - maybe 4 or 5 - years ago. It was just cloth showing and I knew I needed a bit of work on the tops.

Today I pulled it over, got out the pressure washer expecting to take off the moss and crud down in the cloth that was showing. I didn't expect to be able to wash off the top layer of cloth!

The good news is I think I can just fair it out and gel coat it. I'll probably add a layer on the inside to replace the strength that it's lost.

The sides still have some gelcoat on them. Where it doesn't, the washer is taking off a bit of fuzz, leaving some strands hanging in the breeze. But I think a sanding and gelcoat will fix that.

All in all, it's a pretty cool boat. Unlike a lot of them, it's hand laid, well done and very light. A similar chopper gun boat would be at least twice as thick, probably 3 times, and weigh that much more.

The picture with the wedge shaped area is where I pressure washed off the moss, and the top layer of cloth came along. Took a little longer to get the cloth than the moss, but if the pressure washer can take it off, it must go.

The side view has the washed area to the left, the right wasn't touched yet.

Got started this afternoon, will finish in the morning. Then this winter it'll be ready to work on when I'm stuck inside.

Re:start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 11 months ago #48930

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
That must be some pressure washer, Austin! "We don't need no stinking stripper". (PAINT stripper) :laugh:

Mark

Re:start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 11 months ago #48931

The black is mildew/moss. The white is the first layer of cloth. Gelcoat was gone long before I bought it.

Re:start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 11 months ago #49160

Got a little more done today. 75 degrees the first of November is hard to pass up.

Cut out most of the old floor skin, seat mounts and separated the hull and deck. Since it was glassed over on the inside it was a lot of fun.

It'll probably stay this way until mid winter. Heated shop will make for a winter project. I'll probably roll it outside to have extreme pot life, then when I'm happy, roll it in and turn up the heat.
Attachments:

Re:start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 11 months ago #49180

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Looking good- Love those fins!!

Re:start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 11 months ago #49188

Great progress so far.

Bob

Re:start on the Cobra Commando 12 years 1 month ago #66874

It's been a bit, but it's floated to the top for a bit. Cut out some of the junk, got a little more grinding of old stuff to clean it up.

Got enough 1" end core balsa to do the floor, plenty of cloth, and today ordered a 55 gallon drum of laminating resin. That should get me through several projects.

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.192 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online