• Page:

TOPIC: Reading Material

Reading Material 12 years 11 months ago #48828

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been looking around on magazine stands for mags on boating or even 'Glassic stuff?

Does this not exist?

Looking for something that has the same great tips as the like Hot Rod or Classic Car but all for our Glassic boats!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Reading Material 12 years 11 months ago #48829

You will not find any classic/vintage boating magaines on racks in the store. "Wooden Boat" maagzine is the only exception. However, there are many published which you can only obtain thru subscription or membership in a group..

"Classic Boating" magazine published at Oconomowoc, WI
"The Brass Bell" published by the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Society ( www.chris-craft.org ). This is a top knotch publication.
"The Rudder" magazine published by the Antique & Classic Boat Society ( www.acbs.org )
virtually every chapter of the ACBS has some type of newsletter or magazine. The Bob Speltz Land-O-Lakes chapter's "Boathouse" magazine is very good - it's a glossy magazine, not a mimeographed newsletter. There are 55 or so chapters in North America.
"Wooden Boat" magazine is excellent
"The Thoroughbred" magazine published by the Century Boat Club

There are numerous magazines dealing with the current boat industry.

Andreas

Re:Reading Material 12 years 11 months ago #48831

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
There is a mag called Classic Boating but it deals mostly with woodies, they delve into glass on occasion. Here's the info on it.

280 Lac La Belle Drive
Oconomowoc, WI. 53066-1648
(262) 567-4800
Fax: (262) 567-5545
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

That email might be old, I took it off an March 2008 issue I have.

Might be a good idea to start up a mag dedicated to glassics. Cover shows, events, repairs, and put in print some of the topics that come up on this site. I'm interested.
Cal

Re:Reading Material 12 years 11 months ago #48843

Submit articles and event schedules to the existing magazines. Starting a new printed magazine is extemely difficult and certainly not profitable today. Sadly, print media is a dying art.

"Classic Boating" will publish items on classic fiberglass and aluminum. WE must submit stuff to them. The Sept/Oct 2011 issue has a 4 page illustrated article on the history of Crownline boats (the orignal 1950s-1960s firm - not the one currently in business). The same issue has a 12 page illustrated article on the development of fiberglass boats at Chris-Craft.

Andreas

Re:Reading Material 12 years 11 months ago #48869

If anyone wants to submit articles, materiel that would be suitable for an online magazine, we'll publish them here at FG. I can put them on the frontpage and also in the "News" sections.

Hello, World!!

Re:Reading Material 12 years 11 months ago #48883

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
For anyone who hasn't visited the "Research / Restoration" section, there is plenty of good reading in there as well. I drop in there every no and again for reference material, and just the other day noticed Brian Lawson's write up on the Power Cat 18DC. (Part 1, but I had never noticed it in there before!) Hopefully we can add more content now that boating season is winding down, or at least slowing up some, for most of us. I think Andreas and Cal have a great idea as well, support the publications that do exist now, as well as building our own library. ;)

Mark

Re:Reading Material 12 years 11 months ago #48921

• Matt
  • Matt's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
these are some great ideas..i like mags that I can take to work or maybe in the car if i'm going to be on the road for a while..

perhaps if the site was able to use the knowledgeable folks here, one could print off the articles they wanted..perhaps the administrator could protect them so that only members can view ?

get it rolling...

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online