Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '66 Larson All American Windshield

'66 Larson All American Windshield 12 years 11 months ago #48745

Hi all,

I just inherited an old '66 All American 166 (I think). It has been sitting under a shed for the last 20 years but looks to be in pretty good shape. The only thing that is standing out is that there is a big crack in the windshield. I'm sure finding a replacement windshield would be tough so I'm hoping it can be repaired. It appears to be plexiglass. Are there any tricks to fixing this? There don't appear to be any pieces broken off - just some big cracks (around 6 inches long). I figure I'd ask before I try to do something crazy :) Thanks for your help,

Drew

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'66 Larson All American Windshield 12 years 11 months ago #48749

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard Drew. Although there are several epoxy glues on the market that would secure the cracks, they're still going to appear as cracks in the windshield I believe. Some folks drill a very small hole at the end of the crack to keep it from spreading further.

I'm in the process of researching the processes for bending or "molding" plexiglass or acrylic for fabricating your own replacements. The Glastron gang in Minnesota (CGOAMN) has provided a lot of info, and I remember an extensive thread with a lot of useful information on this site several years ago. (Prior to the re-launch of the Super-Site, if I'm not mistaken.) I've got to dig through the archives to see if I can find it.

In the meantime, please share some pics of your new inheritance when you get a chance, and keep us posted on your progress. Lots of helpful folks here with years of experience and knowledge you just can't buy!

Mark

Re:'66 Larson All American Windshield 12 years 11 months ago #48763

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Perhaps "we" could group some of that windshield bending info into and easy to find link. I'm in need of bending new windshields for my Larson Sea lion Cruiser.

Re:'66 Larson All American Windshield 12 years 11 months ago #48766

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Funny you should post this today... I spent the day working on this very thing!!

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/46731-1959-lake-n-sea-restoration.html?limit=40&start=40#48764

-Andrew

Re:'66 Larson All American Windshield 12 years 11 months ago #48769

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Good idea Jeepstr, Windshield Fabricaton 101 !!! Looks like Andrew is teaching the first lesson for us. Ironic timing - works for me. :)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.173 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle