Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Anyone put a radio in thier boat?

Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48618

• tey1967
  • tey1967's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I was thinking about a radio for the boat, but I really don't want a new one that is visible. Any good place for mounting? Just under the dash? How about a vintage AM/FM Radio from a car?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48619

yep, i have a cd player/radio. its in a console john g. made for me. ron
Attachments:

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48620

With today's digital technolgy, why bother with a radio? Get an iphone or ipad or one of the other technoligies such as cyber radio. You don't need to mount anything. Mount some speakers in an out of the way spot (don't cut holes in any of the original construction), get an adapter for the device and away ya go.

Andreas

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48622

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yes, I could use my droid and strean Pandora or use my list of songs, but I really like AM radio.

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48623

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
These folks offer both the old style face but modern electronics, and the "stealth" hidden systems;
www.casmfg.com/

Mark

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48626

I don't own or want to own any of those gadgets. I had a cell phone all I wanted was to make and receive calls. I've been planning on putting one in. I don't even have a cell phone and just very recently got our first regular phone in about six years. Now I have that noisy ringing to listen too. DAMN

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48627

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Most of my boats had radios/casette. That's old. Go to a boneyard and pick one up cheap. I've seen them mounted in the glovebox, under the dash and under seats. The antenna can be horizontal under the dash or gunwale, doesn't have to stick up. My Sabre has an infinity system from a 96 Chrysler. Just don't sink the boat...the radio will stop working.
Attachments:

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48630

What I have for my golf cart, can transfer to the boat. I picked up a mp3 player cheap and a set of speakers at walmart. Runs on AA batteries, gets plenty loud, cost me about 40.00 total. It also has am/fm radio.

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48631

I bought a i-pod system from i-boats for my project.
The only thing that will show is the speakers.
I plan on having all the controls on a folding dash under the dash.
I will post some more info on it once i get that far !

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48633

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I have a gps that plays mp3. The Gps is what I would need on a golf cart with one of those ball tracking devices. My woods are actually WOOD! Had one guy offer to buy them so he could make them into duck head carvings. What a schmo....

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48637

those persimmon woods will be collectors items soon enough

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48638

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow, a lot of great ideas!

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48675

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
i can't remember where I saw it at, thinking a You Tube video, they had radio mounted on a hide away system that tucked up under the dash when not in use...it was slick.

Awesome set up is with a power antenna that sits flush with the deck.

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48700

to all,

since some here seem reluctant to put a "new looking" entertainment system in their antique boats, may i ask what you are doing about hiding your FM MARINE radio?
(fyi,i would NOT go anywhere out on the rivers, bays or out into the Gulf in south TX without a working/modern Marine FM radio.)

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48708

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
satx78247 wrote:

working/modern Marine FM radio.

now your talking one that you can actually call out on if distressed? not one you can listen to your favorite tunes?

Matt in Illinois

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48713

Matt,

a TWO WAY marine radio to reach the Coast Guard, naval militia, game wardens, harbor patrol, bridge & locks operators, sheriff's boat patrol & other commercial/recreational boaters, should you have a LIFE-THREATENING problem.
(in the Gulf of Mexico, you also NEED a marine FM radio, with dedicated weather channels, to get the latest info on "rapidly changing" marine weather conditions.- the Gulf can be TREACHEROUS!)

i regard a Marine FM radio (and a GOOD QUALITY coax/antenna) as a piece of safety equipment that is as NECESSARY as quality PFDs in EVERY watercraft, if you are ever "out of sight" of solid land.

note: i do NOT mean one of the little "rinkydink" portable radios, but rather a HIGH QUALITY 25watt dedicated marine FM radio with a "hardwired" half-wave antenna that has a good radio-ground!

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48725

There are lots of options today for music.

I think satx is refering to a VHF marine radio. There are vintage ones out there. The tube radio's are large, even the early transistor ones are big. New ones are much smaller, some can be mounted hidden and operated by Bluetooth phones. Others just the mike show's. I picked up one of these for the King Cat, just in case. www.basspro.com/Standard-Horizon-HX290-Floating-VHF-Handheld-Radio/product/10210160/93423 I've been over 25 miles offshore and it works fine, have a suction cup holder for it. It worked fine while crossing FL, better than the old radio on the main helm. Remember when talking with bridge or lock tenders use 1 WATT transmiting. It's also proper to call in ahead of arrival to fuel docks and marinas.

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48729

CAT*FIN*k; all,

YEP. i am talking about VHF marine FM radio AND HF Marine radios.= doing W/O "tunes" won't cost you your life, but being W/O a quality/properly installed "2-way" radio just may.

personal to you: do NOT trust VHF radio more than 5-8 nautical miles off-shore under ANY circumstance.- sometimes VHF will work beyond that distance but mostly it will not.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48823

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Morning All,

Here's a suggestion on this issue. I too am torn over cutting holes in a dash with no blemishes. I see that John made a fantastic dash and believe that is one very viable option if you want to permanently mount your radios. (Great workmanship, John!!!) Some people have more than one boat and really don't need to own a radio set for each. May I suggest a portable set up similar to what a lot of truckers use. They have a stereo, CB and a pair of speakers mounted in a briefcase-type kit that they can easily transfer from truck to truck. The hook ups can be bought at any Love's, Truckstop America or other such store. The hook ups can be installed out of sight and the connection is quick and clean.

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48824

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Todd wrote:

what a lot of truckers use. They have a stereo, CB and a pair of speakers mounted in a briefcase-type kit that they can easily transfer from truck to truck. The hook ups can be bought at any Love's, Truckstop America or other such store. The hook ups can be installed out of sight and the connection is quick and clean.

My dad drove a truck, and had these... only problem I see is they are bulky .. great idea though ..i believe his was designed to plug into a cigarette lighter

Matt in Illinois

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48832

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48895

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Matt,

The cig lighter is another idea for powering a setup. I was actually referrign to the two post setup. I've seen them that allow either the use of two plugs (one positive and one negative) or to back off the "nuts" and insert the wires and then tighten the "nuts" back up.

I agree the setup could be somewhat bulky but with the ingenuity the members on this site have, I bet some really cool entertainment ensembles could result.

Many kudos to your dad for all those miles on the road. Its a thankless job in the eyes of most - until the food doesn't arrive at the store and they're hungry. Like everything else in life, there's good guys and bad guys in the business, but most of the drivers on the roads are hardworking people who deserve everyone's appreciation.

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48924

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Todd wrote:

Many kudos to your dad for all those miles on the road. Its a thankless job in the eyes of most - until the food doesn't arrive at the store and they're hungry. Like everything else in life, there's good guys and bad guys in the business, but most of the drivers on the roads are hardworking people who deserve everyone's appreciation.

Thanks Todd..he was an over the road driver .. i remember seeing his million mile awards and such !! retired now for almost 12 yrs...able to do so at 50...

Matt in Illinois

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48929

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Wouldn't that be a dream, Matt. He got there through his hard work. More power to him! I hope he's living it up in his retirement.

Re:Anyone put a radio in thier boat? 12 years 11 months ago #48957

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I've never been able to fine one that can take the pounding for very long.

If it were me, now, in the 21st Century, I would mount a receiver/amplifier back near the transom. Personally, I'd go XM or just MP3 player like other posters have suggested. It is only a matter of (short)time until you will be able to stream most broadcast stations over your cell phone and into an amplifier. THere are a number of o=period style radio stations around the country and on the net.

Maybe mount a vintage radio in the dash to be used as the on off switch, volume, or and elaborate way to run the remote for whatever you have in back. The vintage radio face could even be a small storage compartment for the remote.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.239 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online