• Page:

TOPIC: Crosby Capri Motor question.

Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48578

• mohrtj
  • mohrtj's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all. I picked up a crosby capri I believe it is a 58. I am trying to figure out one if this is a crosby capri. Two what motor needs to be on it so I can look for a motor over the winter. Not sure if it needs short or long and what size. Thanks for the help.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48581

• mohrtj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Attachments:

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48582

• mohrtj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Attachments:

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48583

• mohrtj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Attachments:

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48584

• mohrtj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Attachments:

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48604

you want a shortshaft motor

a mercury mk55 45hp 4 cyl SS will push it approx 25mph so judge whether you want more hp

first thing to inspect with these boats is the balsa floor planking it turns to peat moss over the years if there are leaks in the deck
additionally they are susceptible to hull hooks from roller bunk trailers.., check the hull bottom for depressions (hooks)

see my 59 run here with a 40hp, before I installed twins

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48612

Man, she sure is stripped. You'll be able to find the deck hardware. Windshield will be hard to find if you don't have it., but Madprops doesn't have one and it looks awesome. The Crosby logos can be made. There is a template floating around here somewhere. Looks like a '58 to me. I didn't know they made it in a fiberglass interior. I thought it was wood (unless it painted and I can't tell in the picture). Hopefully Brian L. will chime in and fill you in on the rest.

Sweet find.

Brian

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48617

Man, she sure is stripped. You'll be able to find the deck hardware. Windshield will be hard to find if you don't have it., but Madprops doesn't have one and it looks awesome. The Crosby logos can be made. There is a template floating around here somewhere. Looks like a '58 to me. I didn't know they made it in a fiberglass interior. I thought it was wood (unless it painted and I can't tell in the picture). Hopefully Brian L. will chime in and fill you in on the rest.

Sweet find.

Brian

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48635

• mohrtj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I have all the hardware and windshield. The logos are in pretty good shape. interior is glassed. I have two stearing wheels. and all gauges. Just looking for motor and controlers. I thought I read on an old add they could take a 90 hp. Still trying to figure that out. The transom is solid and no rot. No roller issues undernieth. This sat in a very dry barn for years. I mean dry.... So dry that there are small spider cracks on the whole body. This is somthing I will have to research with you guys on how to restore. I would like the unit do do at least 40 if I can. Thanks for the help and suggestions any one may have.

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48648

I have a 40 and can cruise at 30mph in my Crosby when the conditions are right and it's fairly glassy. Faster than that through boat wake or just choppy conditions and you're in for a rough, "slappy" ride with some water spraying over the windshield.
I can't give too much advice on the small spider cracks; I'll leave that to the experts here. Could be as easy as wet sanding or that and some Brightsides or Rustoleum top and bottom paint.

Brian

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48649

I have a 40 and can cruise at 30mph in my Crosby when the conditions are right and it's fairly glassy. Faster than that through boat wake or just choppy conditions and you're in for a rough, "slappy" ride with some water spraying over the windshield.
I can't give too much advice on the small spider cracks; I'll leave that to the experts here. Could be as easy as wet sanding or that and some Brightsides or Rustoleum top and bottom paint.

Brian

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48656

Brian

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48668

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Through trial and error I found out that you cannot paint over spider cracks. The topcoat paint will just flow into the cracks and show up like a old penney. If the surface is bad with spider cracks and glass cloth showing through I found the best cure is to get high build primer from an auto store that mixes paint, might even be able to get it at Sherwin Williams but never tried. I used a high build two part epoxy that covers real heavy and sands easy. It will take a few coats but it can be done with some elbow grease.

From this.

To this middle process during sanding.

To the final high build ready for finish coat.

Here's the stuff.

You can do it, just ask.

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48676

Crap...not sure why my posts are doubling and tripling up. I'm only hitting post once. Sorry. If anyone knows, let me know what the Hades I'm doing wrong.

b

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48701

Hi,
Enjoyable to see your boat. My family's marine business was a Crosby dealership then (you can see a picture of my father standing next to two new 1958 Crosbys @ The Atlanta Boat Show 1958 on our "About Us" page of our website).
According to a 1962 "Blue Book", the Capri is rated to 95 hp in 1959, and then 100 in 1960 & 1961 (no 1957 or 1958 information apparently was submitted).
You will certainly need at least 70 hp to reach 40 mph. Although, power trim was not offered on the early vintage motors, it would be helpful to performance and comfort as needed.

Regards,
Joe
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Profile Picture:
E. Carl Kiekhaefer (Mercury Founder) & Joe Poole Sr. @ 1964 Mercury Dealer Meeting

Re:Crosby Capri Motor question. 12 years 11 months ago #48705

• mohrtj
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Ferguson,
Thanks for the helpfull info. Where they long or shorts for these boats? The draw seems kind of shallow. I will be looking for something this winter to put on it. I did see a post for 95 hp rating. I would like to find a 70hp
63 Sabre,
So after this completed did you paint or spray gel coat?
I would actually like to spray gel coat. Any suggestions on this. At this time just gleaning as much info over the winter to hit it hard in the spring.

Thank you all for great info.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online