• Page:

TOPIC: Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks

Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48532

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Any opinions on which type of bunk, roller of carpet, is better. Any pros or cons?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48533

roller bunks create hooks in the hulls over time

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48542

I got a old Holmes boat that came on a trailer that has carpet bunks. However when launching/retrieving I have a leaver that I pull forward that raise rollers as to make it easier on both me and the hull

CAVU

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48545

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Pro and con. I've experianced. Rollers are much easier to launch and retrieve but need maintenance on occasion otherwise rust will shorten the roller pin life if it is not greased. I've actually seen a person lose their boat at the ramp with a roller setup. Unhooked the bow hook and safety chain, his wife was holding the bow rope as he backed down the ramp and the boat rolled right off the trailer short of the water, didn't look pretty. Have also seen a nice Glastron on a roller trailer with the rollers poking through the bottom. The boat was used for a trailer as the family was headed to their cottage and had all their "stuff" in the boat causing all the weight to rest on the rollers, not pretty either.
Bunks may be harder to launch and retrieve but offer a more even support across the whole bottom area. Easy to replace a board and carpet after a few years. I think the best setup is the bunk/roller combo with rollers down the keel area and bunks around the chine area extending past the transom.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48550

Yep totally concur with the whole bunk thing. Cal is right with the "combo". I have that combo with my trailer and it's great. Loads and unloads pretty easily and the bunks support it great. It's a 1964 AJAX trailer built in Warren Michigan, with bunks and keel rollers, all original.

Bob

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48575

I am not a fan of roller trailers. Had one once years ago under a large boat we had, and will never have another one. Bunk trailers, set up correctly, are the best for your boat. This system mentioned above, where activating a lever pulls rollers up to launch a boat sounds like a great idea, but I have never seen a trailer like that.

Frank

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48586

if and when i convert my trailer from rollers to a flat platform like frank has, how difficult is it to winch up a boat on a flat carpeted surface.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48588

Well when I put my boat back on the carpeted bunks it is still a couple inches lower in the water than the boat. I don't drag the boat over them. Over time you may see the pad placement but it took years and mine was just paint. Keep your carpet clean.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48595

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I prefer trailers where the boat sits solidly on carpeted bunkers for travel. I have (seldom used) rollers in the center for loading that only touch the boat on the keel where it is strongest. Roller trailers should NEVER be used on a wood boat.

My dad is old school. He grew up with trailers with no rollers at all. Float on, float off. I'm used to that style of loading so I see little need for rollers. Besides it is way better for the boat not to use a roller trailer.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48600

vuyosevich wrote:

if and when i convert my trailer from rollers to a flat platform like frank has, how difficult is it to winch up a boat on a flat carpeted surface.

Ron, my hull paint has Teflon in it, so as soon as the carpet is wet, it might as well be rollers!

Also, our boats don't weigh much so I wouldn't think winching them up would be a problem. The other alternative of course is a 12V powered winch.

Frank

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48603

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I lik emy Gator that drops the bunks for launching and loading with the lever letting the boat rest on the center rollers for easy unloading and loading its a really simple system. And I love it! I am always on the look out for another one of those old 58 Gator Round tube trailers for my Aristocraft!

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48607

Yep, In my book, there is no better Trailer than a Gator. The Lifting Bunks, Center Keel Rollers and Tilt Launch and Load along with the 3 speed winch make it one of the best trailers ever designed. Won't ever own anything else.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48614

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Based on this thread, and advise from Dave at Marine Services the Hilltop we are restoring will get the carpet instead of rollers.

Thanks for the post!

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48628

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Hey Shelby18, love the avitar. The Ford tractor brings back lots of memories of back home. in the 50's
Cal

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48718

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
stashm2 wrote:

I lik emy Gator that drops the bunks for launching and loading with the lever letting the boat rest on the center rollers for easy unloading and loading its a really simple system. And I love it! I am always on the look out for another one of those old 58 Gator Round tube trailers for my Aristocraft!

Do you have a photo?
I think I have one. It is a total mess and is an eyesore compared to the restored wooden Falls Flyer that sits on it. It is a small one, 14'. It is made of round tubes and has levers to raise and lower some parts. It is interesting enough it might be fun to restore the trailer if I can get the moving parts to move again.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48720

I am reassembling my 1960 Holsclaw,I bought all new rollers,whitch requier a bit of modification !!.After reading this thread, I am considering ditching the side roller system and installing,2 boards on eachh side connecting the existing roller supports.Is this a good plan ?
I am showing the existing roller supports
and 1 that shows the replacement roller for the rear
and another showing what I am considering ?
Thanks in advance for your opinions !!!
Attachments:

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48723

For anything other than a steel hull, roller bunks are a horrible choice. The hull construction is far too thin to support the total weight of the boat on the roller crowns. Rollers on the keel are a different thing - as they are not designed nor intended to support the entire boat.

Bunks should be as long as possible, and placed directly under stringers, not between them. Usually, the farther apart the bunks are - the better. People who like roller bunks argue that the boat launches and loads easier. Unless you are afraid to get your tootsies wet, a boat should be FLOATED on and off a trailer. I constantly see people crank on the trailer winch hard enough to tear out even the strongest of bow eyes. With practice, the trailer can be backed in the water just enough that the boat will float up on the trailer - just enough to hook up the winch strap. If the boat pulls a bit back from the bow cradle when you pull up the ramp, no problem. Get your rig on to flat ground in a straight line - up to about 5 mph and stab the brakes hard. The boat will slide right up to where it needs to be. You can then put on the transom tiedowns to secure the boat. Speaking of transom tie downs - those vintage "swing set chain" tie-downs should ONLY be used for show. Everyone should use modern HEAVY DUTY self-locking web straps on their boat, hooked to the frame of the trailer, or strong tie points welded or bolted to the trailer. "Eye bolts" purchesed at the local hardware store (the type that you might hang a porch swing, or sign from) are not even close to being strong enough.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48734

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I like your "proposed" idea, Fantm! I'm scheming on changing over my Holsclaw as well, since the boat is off it right now. My bunk mounts are a little different that yours, but where there's a will there's a way, right!? I'd like to keep the adjust-ability, but do away with the roller bunk part on the sides. I'll keep the keel rollers in the center, I think I can come up with some non-marring replacements that may work. Possibly a good thread for the trailer forum?

Edit: Just saw that you updated your Holsclaw thread, I've got to get on the stick here, sorry.

Mark

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48741

Here's some Pics of my Gator Self Launching Trailer

The handle on the Front side lifts and lowers the Long Rear bunks for Loading and Launching (Down) and for Roading (UP).

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48762

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Next time I get up to the lake, I'll have to take a photo of that goofy trailer I have. I'm curious it one of you know what kind it is.

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48765

• gary s
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I thought you had to launch a classic with a classic -

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48767

• Shelby18
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I know I do, love your set up.... look at my avitar.

Great to be on board.
Rick

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48780

On the "$25 boat", my trailer had rollers and as I headed to the ramp, a lady said something fell off: one of the round rollers had detached.

So I replaced the back rollers with bunks and the front still has rollers.

Not so much weight on the front as the back but may replace them when time permits.

Hello, World!!

Re:Roller bunks vs. carpet bunks 12 years 11 months ago #48786

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member

stashm2 wrote:

jepstr67 wrote:

Do you have a photo?
I think I have one. It is a total mess and is an eyesore compared to the restored wooden Falls Flyer that sits on it. It is a small one, 14'. It is made of round tubes and has levers to raise and lower some parts. It is interesting enough it might be fun to restore the trailer if I can get the moving parts to move again.

This is the best picture I could find of my Gator There is a lever in the rear under the tail lights that Lowers the rear bunks about 1 inch so the boat rolls on the rollers but can be suppored side to side enough to keep it from falling off the trailer.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.254 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online