Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: questions about floors and transoms

questions about floors and transoms 12 years 11 months ago #48470

Is it possible that the wood floor may be o.k. and the fiberglass has delaminated from it? how do I do core samples from the floor and transom? can I repair smaller areas of the floor and avoid doing the entire floor? :unsure:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:questions about floors and transoms 12 years 11 months ago #48478

ranthony,if you tried to load pics,and it didnt work they might need to be smaller(resized),pics would help,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:questions about floors and transoms 12 years 11 months ago #48483

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Just my opinion, and compared to many here I am a mere rookie, so keep that in mind, okay? Also not sure what boat you're working on, so construction materials are an unknown at this point.

Is it possible that the wood floor may be o.k. and the fiberglass has delaminated from it? Can I repair smaller areas?

Possible, yes - but not likely. If the fiberglass de-laminated from the wood, and allowed moisture underneath, odds are good that the floor will need replaced. Some folks have gotten away with replacing sections instead of the entire sole, it depends on how much of it needs replaced. If in doubt, it's best to replace it now while you're "in there" as opposed to having to go back in a couple years and do it again, IMO

how do I do core samples from the floor and transom?

You can drill small holes, inspect the "shavings" that come out. If they're light colored and dry, that's good. If they're dark and damp = rotted and bad.

Hope this helps, some pics would also assist the gang in giving you some solid advise. ;)

Mark

Re:questions about floors and transoms 12 years 11 months ago #48499

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
As Mark said- Possible, but not likely. Do you have soft spots in the floor? Odds are, there is much more hidden underneath. The ply tends to rot from the bottom up.

What about the stringers? Do you know what condition they are in??

Doing the 'drill test' as Mark suggested will help determine condition of the transom, etc. Do it from the INSIDE.

Also, a good 'tapping' on the outside will help determine if the transom is solid. You should hear a good solid thud.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.158 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online