• Page:

TOPIC: battery accessories

battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48366

• kewpie79
  • kewpie79's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
On my golf cart batteries,(golfing is my #1 hobby, but doing this boat is coming in pretty close) I have a ring on one of the positive battery terminals. It allows me to hook all the accessories to it, it has like four to six tabs sticking out of it. I can't find one from the golf cart suppliers or boat suppliers. Anyone know where you can get these? (pic of cart)
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48369

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I've got a set of those things (similar) at home in the garage, can't for the life of me remember what they're called. I'll look tonight when I get home. You connected them to the main terminals, and they provided multiple hookups for other accessories. Mine have (or had?) a plastic housing (red and black, respectively) to protect them from shorting out and/or getting corroded.

www.colehersee.com has a pretty good line of connectors too, you might find what you're looking for there.

Mark

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48400

I found that if you check into shops who do electrical work on cars and specialize in rebuilding starters and alternators for equipment and do general work on them carry many "Hard to Find" things. I used to put radios. cd's in cars, trucks for people and finding a circuit was sometimes rough. A little tab that would slip into a fuse holder while a fuse was in it was a good way to go when the box was full. I could not find them until I went into Murray Electric in Ford City. They had so many of the oddball things in stock. I just go there anymore. They might have what you want and send it to you even. Don't hurt to ask. They do all my starter, alternator rebuilds for years. They have top- notch service.
www.murrayautoelectric.com/

The starter on my 25 hp Johnson has their Mark on it. So I know it is good.

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48407

• MarkS
Found them in a can of "saved junk"! (One of many) They're called "Johnny Ray Battery Terminals", here's a link;
www.johnnyraysports.com/terminals.htm

Mark

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48428

West Marine has one that I like because it has 1/4" quick connect terminals on as to make adding or removing an item a snap

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=93014&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10109&subdeptNum=10548&classNum=10551

CAVU

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48471

• kewpie79
  • kewpie79's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Once again, the people on here come through.

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48473

Kewpie, is the splitter to replace the one on your golf cart, or is for the boat your rebuilding?
If it's the cart skip the rest of this post.
If it's for the boat you might want to consider fusing those leads to the electrical equipment.
If the boat is a runabout type and the electrical equipment is lighting, radio,cigarette lighter, etc. located in the forward area
you may want to run a single power circuit, fused at the battery end, to a terminal strip in the dash area. Circuits can then be run from the terminal strip to the equipment.
It it's a utility type boat you can run the circuits off of the terminal post splitter, but you should still consider in line fuses for each circuit.
The chances of a fire caused by shorted wires is low, but the intense smoke from burning wire insulation can be a real heart stopper out on the water.
There have been quite a few posts on the forum on wiring a boat and a quick search should help if you have questions on wiring size, fuse size etc.

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48474

Kewpie, is the splitter to replace the one on your golf cart, or is for the boat your rebuilding?
If it's the cart skip the rest of this post.
If it's for the boat you might want to consider fusing those leads to the electrical equipment.
If the boat is a runabout type and the electrical equipment is lighting, radio,cigarette lighter, etc. located in the forward area
you may want to run a single power circuit, fused at the battery end, to a terminal strip in the dash area. Circuits can then be run from the terminal strip to the equipment.
It it's a utility type boat you can run the circuits off of the terminal post splitter, but you should still consider in line fuses for each circuit.
The chances of a fire caused by shorted wires is low, but the intense smoke from burning wire insulation can be a real heart stopper out on the water.
There have been quite a few posts on the forum on wiring a boat and a quick search should help if you have questions on wiring size, fuse size etc.

Re:battery accessories 12 years 11 months ago #48487

• MarkS
Excellent point FF, the ones I have are from a jon boat with no cockpit, one of my first "conversions" to make the boat more user friendly. The better way is as you stated, run one larger
(fused) power wire to a fused buss bar or distribution panel, and take the individual circuits from there. Do the same with a ground wire, but no fuses needed there.

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.183 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle