Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring?

Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48276

Hello,

I am new to this forum so please pardon any indescretions on my part. I have been looking for a finned reinell for a while. I recently came accross this '62 Jetabout but it is basically just a shell. From what I can tell it needs to be completely taken apart, including the stringers out of the floor etc, the fiberglass patched and reenforced, and the gelcoat completely redone. What I am wondering is if this is worth restoring. By worth I don't mean from a financial standpoint but from a cause standpoint. Are these that rare that it is worth saving every last one? I have attached some images. The trim is heavily pitted and the windshield hardware is missing, along with some of the trim. The pictures should tell the tale.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48279

No pics???

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48281

I have been trying to upload pics but it keeps saying that my picture size exceeds the 1024Kb max set my the admin, even though my picture is not that big. Here is another attempt:

Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48283

OK, I think I got it:

Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48284

And Another, this is of the keel under the transom:

Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48285

One more:

Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48286

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
If you hit edit you can add another picture in the same post. Any Pics of the whole boat?

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48287

Can't stop!:

Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48288

Is that hole in the floor from the factory?:

The windshield is not really fastened to the boat and is missing it's mount.

Not sure if this being so heavily pitted can be re-plated or if a replacement can be found:

Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48289

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I like it! I would look at it not from a value stand point, I know people wont agree with me but I dont think you can ever expect to get Great value back on any of these boats. But if you like it and want to work on it Get it and enjoy the expirience of learning to work on it and then enjoy something you braught back! Its a neat looking boat and any boat that needs a transom and floor is going to take alot of work at least this one is a neat looking boat that will still turn heads!

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48293

I guess I am not sure if it is worth the effort as I don't know enough to tell about the condition of the fiberglass. I know it sat for a bit with some water on the bottom, I am not sure if this affects the integrity of the fiberglass (will it come apart?), and the whole thing needs to be worked over with gelcoat. I am also not sure if I will be able to find or fabricate some of the missing trim as there is not much referance material on these for me to look at. I was hoping that some of the current collectors could give me some hints on rarity, etc.

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48294

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Rodre,

First - great find - VERY neat boat! Love the fins!!!

Second - never sell your skills short. If you have patience, you can work through anything. We all started somewhere on something.

Third - the greatest thing about being a member here is the vast wealth of knowledge and willingness to assist of the members here. I'm somewhat new to boats, have laid a lot of fiberglass over the years on other projects and still rely on the guidance of the fantastic members here.

As for your bright work, I have taken worse chrome to a good re-chrome shop and received pieces back that you'd swear were brand new. Its amazing what a good shop can do. The guys on the site seem to know every reputable shop from here to Timbuktu. All you have to do is ask!

I am very sure there is a member near you who will gladly look at your boat and give you a good opinion. I am currently in the proces sof making one Redfish out of two and have received wonderful words of wisdom from the members on this site. There's nothing like getting your hands dirty and coming away with a cool old boat when its all done.

Good luck with your project! Please feel free to drop me a line with any help I may be able to provide. If its something I don't know, I'll do my very best to hook you up with one of the folks here who has helped me.

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48298

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The JetAbout is a very atractive boat, when restored. This photo of a jetAbout that resides in Washington State ( not mine ) inspired me to seek out and buy a $300 JetAbout project.The one you are looking at seams a bit ROUGH, but, most 50 year old boats are. You will be able to find trim & parts needed to restore the JetAbout, but it will take some effort.

Larry
Vintage Boatworks
Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48299

I was quoted $75 to have this bow light re-chromed. Seems crazy to me, but it's a specialized industry I suppose. I had a '57 Chevy bumper chromed 20 years ago for $250. The guy told me it's $850 now. Your bow light looks to be quite a bit more pitted than mine. I guess it also depends on how many chromers you have in your area competing for business.

Brian
Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48300

I was quoted $75 to have this bow light re-chromed. Seems crazy to me, but it's a specialized industry I suppose. I had a '57 Chevy bumper chromed 20 years ago for $250. The guy told me it's $850 now. Your bow light looks to be quite a bit more pitted than mine. I guess it also depends on how many chromers you have in your area competing for business.

Brian
Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48303

That boat will turn heads when it's done. Just how many of us even see one around can't be that great. You will enjoy what you've done after the fact. A good challenge is good for the soul. Take your time it will not be ready for spring. I wish I had it.

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48318

its the fun of bringing it back to life,ed and i have about 4 years in his boat,there are times you think what did i do?,but then there are the times you you think look at what i just did!
its a cool boat,but alot of work and money,the question is ...is it worth it to me?
i have some crappy looking boats in the yard,but im hoping someday they will shine again,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48368

I am restoring the same, not quite as rough but close. I have reconstituted the stringers and put in a new floor. I am just taking off all the trim, many mini screws, they also hold the boat together...I needed to use every socket extension I had to get to the little buggers.
It will be a lot of work but this is as close to a water-born go-cart as you can get, fast and nimble. My buddy has a mark 30 on it and I took a turn a little too tight; saw my reflection in the water just 2 feet from my face, sharp turns but stable, settled down right away.
I am going to put a new gel-coat on, don't like the paint look.
Attachments:

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48376

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I vote go for it!

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48386

[/quote]

Is that a '55-'62 Corvette hardtop on there?

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48393

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Yeppers!! That was something Brian Franchini was toying with a few years ago. Brian does 1st cabin work.I don't believe this is the same boat he used but he outfitted one with PWC power and man does it scoot.

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 11 months ago #48855

The answer to your question is subjective. Pretty much anybody here will tell you that the boat is "worth it" If however, you went to a financial advisor with the same question - you'e likely get a resounding "NO!" As far as "cool" factor goes, the boat is clearly "worth" fixing up. Tail fin boats continue to draw more interest from the "classic car" people - and that group is far more inclined to spend loot on a boat. I like to say; "if you're going to restore a boat - you may as well make it a cool one" It is expensive to properly restore a old boat like that, and if the cost will put you in a bind - then it's not worth it - for you. If you can afford the time & money, and you would enjoy a project like this, it is totally worth it. If you plan to use the boat a lot, consider this: Most old boats are lackluster performers - and you need to be able to accept that. You wouldn't expect a 1949 Ford to drive like a 2010 Ford GT, so don't expect that little old boat to perform like a modern power boat. Forget re chroming - that stuff is way too pitted. You can find replacements on eBay all the time - you just have to be patient & be ready to bid HARD on the things you want. If you restore it, keep all period - correct hardware, steering wheel, gauges, lights, etc. While "new" stuff may cost less & work better, it will ruin the "look" of the boat and significantly lower the value of the boat. The condition doesn't look too bad to me, I've seen way worse boats taken on & restored.

Re:Is this '62 Reinell Jetabout Worth Restoring? 12 years 10 months ago #51402

• slo-mo
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi Rodre, your little Reinell Jetabout is one of the cleanest fin boat designs around. You don't have to do an authentic restore in order to enjoy your time machine. It is important to get on the water ASAP, within budget, in order to remind your family why you drug this POS home in the first place!

If everything goes as planned, soon your better half will be the one trolling Ebay for the "killer" bow light or "sweet" Air-O-Guide Speedo......and they lived happily ever after

Some creative photomagic will set the mood

Keep us posted!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.361 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online