• Page:

TOPIC: Crusier available - FREE

Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48260

• thetudor
  • thetudor's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
A while back I posted a thread about a 1957 Winner Corsair that I had been offered. For a variety of reasons (which I will go into in part later), I cannot take it on right now, but both the current owner and I want to find it a good home, where it will be restored.

I have looked at the boat and will give you my honest assessment. The hull is built like a tank and appears to be solid, including the transom. There are actually rings imbedded in the bottom of the hull (on the inside) for lifting. It has been painted and will need to be stripped to really evaluate the condition of the gel coat. The plywood floor, seats, trim and cabin will all need to be replaced, but what is there can be used as a pattern. I did n ot look under the floorboards. Most of the original hardware and emblems appear to be there. The old style marine toilet is there as well as a sink with water tank. Also a fold down table in the back of the cockpit. There is no motor, but is capable of handling twins. The original canvas top (good enough for a pattern) is included.

This is probably as seaworthy as glassic as you will find.

The trailer is a 1960 Michigan lift trailer, which is an early hydraulic unit. Needs tires and probably have the bearings re-packed or replaced. Also lights. No idea about the hydraulics, but should be able to be towed. Very funky.

The present owner is the widow of the person who bought it new in 1957. They have most of the paperwork and brochures and a pretty complete history of the boat. Also, there are family photos that would be available to help with restoration.

The boat is located in Naugatuck, CT and needs to be moved before winter. The boat is FREE to anyone who will restore her. (not for someone who will strip for parts). The owner and her nephew (who is handling this for her - she's 90) would like to see it somewhat local so they could see the end result of the restoration, but the preservation is the most important.

E-mail me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. or post here if you are interested.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re: Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48457

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Tudor,

If this boat is still available, I would like to pick it up as soon as possible. My nephew and I will restore it for his family and get her back where she belongs. Thanks a million!

Re: Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48465

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Todd,

I haven't heard a thing since I posted this, which surprised me a little considering the price. Last night I did hear from someone else and I plan to forward his name on to the owner. I will PM his e-mail address to you this morning. May the best man (person) win.

I could be a great boat without of a lot of the heavy lifting that some boats require.

BTW, where do you live?

The other Todd (aka thetudor)

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re: Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48472

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I'm in PA, almost in John Gibson's backyard! I received your email and have posted an email to the owner/son. Hopefully we'll be picking that Corsair up in the very near future. My nephew and I will be restoring her for his family. Talk about the perfect boat to spend a weekend or longer on at the lake. That's the plan for now. I deeply appreciate your assistance and will keep all our friends here on FG in the loop on the restoration. She looks a lot nicer than my Redfish does, so I think she'll get the #1 spot in the restoration line. Than again, I could try to emmulate Andrew and complete 20 boats at once. Andrew - you are a boat restroation god in my book! You get more done in a day than I get done in a week.

Re: Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48475

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Todd,

If you do come up to get the boat, let me know. I have a couple of things I was going to send to John to have him do his masterwork on. Maybe you could take them back for me.

T

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48477

sounds like a plan,i met one todd"tudor",what a nice guy,now i might get to meet the other todd,another nice guy.
send anything you have i owe ya big time,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48528

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Good Evening Everyone,

Let me tell you about another great guy in our midst. Tood, alias thetudor, had the opportunity to take possession of the Winner Corsair discussed in this thread. He could have easily taken the boat and sold it for thousands. Instead, as the gentleman that he is, he held fast to the intentions and feelings of the boat's owners to pass the vessel on to someone who will restore and appreciate her.

I spoke with the original owner's son, who is a very nice man himself. He explained that the boat had been the source of many good times for his family and they really wanted to get it into the hands of a family that will also gain the joy they had.

Next Sunday, my nephew and I will be picking up the Corsair. Jeff is a great guy with an eye for perfection and the drive to do right by the boat. His wife and children are super excited to be given such a historic craft and deeply appreciate the generosity of both Todd and the boat's current owners.

I appreciate Todd for setting up this deal for Jeff and his family, as well as the generosity of the owners. This is just one more example of the terrific people you can find any day of the week here on FiberGlassics.

P. S. Todd - I will be very glad to bring anything you need down to John. It will give me a chance to meet another great craftsman.

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48531

• thetudor
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The boat has found the right home. Just what I (and the owner) was hoping for.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48544

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
TODD AND TODD , what a great thing you two have and are doing, getting a boat for another to restore for his family to enjoy for many years , and previous owners to see it live again. but all i can say is we NEED PICTURES. frog.

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48561

todd you are right on the money!todd"tudor is a fantastic guy,he is the fellow that got me my devilray and put a new tire and rim on it,also drove it halfway to frank alguires where they met and frank took it to his house,then tim calmes took it to his place of bussiness in perry ,ny where i picked it up,todd"tudor",and frank would not take any money,so there are alot of great folks here,i think of some as family,and great best friends.

and todd im glad your getting the boat for your nephew,and i cant wait to meet you,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48570

to ALL,

NICE cruiser - if it wasn't so far away, i'd wrestle them barefoot or shoes to own that one!
(CHUCKLE!)

best wishes on the restore, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48589

Where are you at Tod? I'm less than an hour away from John. (Kittanning)

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48615

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Robert,

I live in a major center of excitement in Schuylkill County. The booming metropolis of Hegins!!!

Please don't blink as you roll through town, you'll miss it. We're about an hour north of Harrisburg, 30 minutes from Pottsville (the home of the Yuengling brewery!) and about 40 minutes south of Hazelton. In other words - the middle of nowhere.

Re:Crusier available - FREE 12 years 11 months ago #48642

robert and todd you guys can meet here when todd comes with the stuff im going to do for todd w.it would be nice to get together,my welcome mat is out for a visit,and some boat talk,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Can any members help finding this boat ? 8 years 8 months ago #119167

Hey all - This is Jon March in Naugatuck - Todd "Tudor" helped me find a home for my late uncles 57 Winner Corsair & Michigan Lo-Loader trailer, with Todd & his nephew Jeff from Hegins, PA - They came up in Nov 2011, hitched it up, blew up the cracked$% tires, and drove her home. Havent heard a word since tho. They loved my very cool Aunt Stella and thought they might even name the boat the "Stella Mae" after her! - fitting, given the era - we sure loved the idea. They even promised her a ride when it got restored, and shes still going strong at 94. Would love to see that happen! -but havent heard back from them - any update or leads?
Attachments:

Re:Can any members help finding this boat ? 8 years 8 months ago #119179

Always thought that would make a great boat for our needs. Are you the same Jon currently working on an Amphicar?

Florida's Amphicar restoration destination
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.319 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle