• Page:

TOPIC: triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,george crouch

triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,george crouch 12 years 11 months ago #48253

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
my wife got me this chris craft wood model,triple cockpit ,21 inches long,i have looked all over the web,and cant find a chris craft triple cockpit with the "boat tail"pointed stern.
what do i have here? sorry stuck on toys,lol.john i just found out its not a chris craft,does anyone know what kind of boat its modeled after?
if you read further i found out what it is,the history is pretty cool,at least i think so,john
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,what is it? 12 years 11 months ago #48312

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
i thin i found the boat it was modeled after,a boat built in 1925 by george crouch,who built it for edsel ford,and named the "typhoon",it has the same gold arrow down the side,it could also be a boat called "teaser" by mr crouch,does anyone have a pic of "teaser",thanks john
Attachments:

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,what is it? 12 years 11 months ago #48315

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Hey John, I actually saw the Typhoon up close at Baudwin yacht harbor in Sturgeon Bay, Wi back in the early 50's. I used to ride my bike down to the yacht club onto the docks and drool over all the mahogany. My cousin had pointed it out to me and said that it would do over 60mph. That was fast in those times. I was hooked on mahogany before then, probably in the late 40's but that boat put me over the top.

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,what is it? 12 years 11 months ago #48316

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
cool cal,i think its in mystic seaport,or at least one of george crouchs boats is,it might be the baby bootlegger,sorry i have this here guys but im excited to find something close to it,lol.
darn woodies are more interesting then i thought,i never got into them before,dontget me wrong i love the looks and the craftsmanship,i just like fiberglass designs. the more i look at it,im pretty sure this model was intended to look like the typhoon,it even has the dark wood down the middle.
Attachments:

---Mark Twain

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,what is it? 12 years 11 months ago #48326

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Don't take this wrong, I went both ways, woodie and glass. The woodie took me three years to rebuild frame up, hope the Herters goes no more than a year. PS. The Century Sabre has a mahogany bottom and a glass topside, best of both worlds.
Here's a bowshot.
Attachments:

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,what is it? 12 years 11 months ago #48347

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
wow cal thats a beauty,you are a master craftsman.my hat is off to you.

im starting to think about making model boats,woodies and classic glass from scratch,it will keep me out of trouble this winter when i cant work on my real boats,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,what is it? 12 years 11 months ago #48354

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
ok i have been doing more digging,aparently its not in seaport,that is another of george crouchs designs,this "typhoon"went up in a blaze of glory. quote..The legend of the Typhoon dates back to 1929. She was designed by George Crouch. George had several succesfull models including the Teaser and Baby Bootlegger.

Edsel Ford saw the Teaser in action and knowing the background he wanted a new fast boat like it. He contacted the yard that built the Teaser and had them build a copy of it and Edsel called his the Typhoon. It was 40 foot long with a 2000 cubic inch engine. Edsel's primary use for the boat was to commute from his home on Lake St. Clair to the Ford Factory.

In the late 1960's at Bryants Marina in Washington the boat next to her caught on fire. The typhoon also caught ablaze and was later declared a total loss.

---Mark Twain

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,what is it? 12 years 11 months ago #48355

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
im having a blast being a detective,lol,im sorry if it offends anyone because this post is of a wood model boat,but im just a little excited to find out anything about it,if this needs to be moved i dont have a problem with it,it looks like it was owned by howard hughes for awhile,cool,john

quote...The pedigree of the Typhoon dates back to the days of the Gold Cup Races.

The original Typhoon was designed back in 1929 by George Crouch. Among the other famous designs from George Crouch were the ever popular Baby Bootlegger, and the award winning Teaser, to name a few. The Teaser became famous by winning the celebrated time trial against the Twentieth Century Limited from New York City to Albany in 1925. She beat the record by more than an hour. The Twentieth Century Limited was the fastest train on the rails at that time.

The Typhoon origin began with Edsel Ford. Edsel Ford was an avid race boat enthusiast. Knowing the background, and seeing the famous Teaser in action, Edsel Ford wanted a new fast boat just like it for his own personal use. He contacted the yard that built the Teaser and had an exact copy built, naming it the Typhoon. The Typhoon was a large brute, measuring in at 40' in length, with a 2000 cu. in. Wright Typhoon engine. Like a wild stallion, she was born to race. She had the seating capacity to seat up to eight adults, in three separate cockpits, but without the creature comforts and safety of any windshields.

Edsel Ford never used it as a pure racer, however. His primary use for the boat was as a commuter speedboat between the Ford factory and his home in Lake St. Claire.

In 1941, Ford sold it to Howard Hughes who kept it running during the war years, but soon sold it after the war. The Typhoon then went through a series of owners over the next few years ending up in Kentucky. Then in the late sixties, her current owners had her shipped from Kentucky to Seattle Washington. In the late 1960's, at Bryant's Marina in Washington, the boat that was docked next to the Typhoon caught fire. The fire raged out of control, and soon engulfed the Typhoon . The Typhoon was a total loss.

---Mark Twain

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,george crouch 12 years 11 months ago #48453

It does look like a Typhoon. I have the Dumas 1/10 model still unbuilt. It's 42" long, came with a history book about the boat. If I remember right it burned about 100 gph at wot, and thats high octane avgas. It also took the water speed record from Gar Wood. After it burned someone made another from the original plans, but scaled it down to about 38', and a building fell on it or something.

I'm planing to do a few of the wood models in Brazil. These are some links I have.
www.modelshipmaster.com/products/Chris_Craft/index.htm
rccraft.com/chriscraft18triple.html
www.historicships.com/
www.gianhien.net/model/retail/all/speedboats.htm

Work my way up to a little bigger scale. I think I could have fun with any of these.
www.vintagehydroplanes.com/rctempo.html
www.moyermade.com/miniature-engines.html
www.craftsmanshipmuseum.com/KnappCol.htm
www.conleyprecision.com/

Ford Flathead

Supercharged Hemi

Smallest V-12

Rolls Royce Merlin

Re:triple cockpit,torpedo stern model,george crouch 12 years 11 months ago #48463

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
catfin,those are very cool!i have seen the dumas ,very neat boat,that would be cool to build.
im thinking of scratch building a model or 2 ,i cant afford a kit so i will have to make do with what i have,lol.
i think i might try to make a model or two of some type of fiberglassic over the winter,john.p.s. thanks for the links.

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle