Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: AHOY, Glasspar experts!

AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48073

friends,

what i thought was a TRIDENT is something else - i had NOT personally measured the length but the longer i looked at it the BIGGER that it LOOKED. so Rickie & i got out a tape & measured it.

it's a little over 16 & a half feet down the centerline & looks like the factory pictures of an AVALON. - if Gloasspar did what most companies did, it would be called a "17".
(except Avalons are, i'm told, an inch LESS than 16ft.)

also, the original seats look NOTHING like the seats in either an Avalon or a TRIDENT (the seat frames are "boxed in" & have wooden cabinet doors on the aft side, so that they make NICE/large storage lockers.), once i unloaded the 10year collection of just plain JUNK out of the boat.

so i have NO idea what model runabout i've been given, other than it's a 1958 vintage, 16.5ft long,deep/wide Glasspar runabout on a NICE/heavy-duty (read: expensively built) trailer!

bright ideas, advice, SWAGs, comments & possible model names are welcomed.

your PUZZLED friend, satx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48080

Satx,

How do you know it is a 1958? You never know what happened in the last 50 years. Someone may think it is a 1958, but their memory may be a little rusted.

Dimensions don't lie. Go into the Glassic library and look at the Blue Book listing. In there is a pretty good listing of dimensions. Plus the brochures frequently have dimensions. Take the dimensions of your boat and compare to 1958 and also look in other years. My Tomahawk Spirit was listed as a 1961 when I bought it, but when I checked the dimensions, it matches a 1959.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48086

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Pull down rear seats sounds like the CITATION model .. Here is the link brochure for 1960... Very desirable model . 16 ft..
. www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Glassparb60004.jpg

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48115

split; all,

the seats are NOT "lay-downs". instead, they are fixed in place, have a combination of wood/fiberglass "boxed" frame with wooden cabinet doors in the aft side of the seats.

i've seen nothing like them in an OB boat. -they look more like the seats in an expensive inboard runabout of the 50s.

the young man that i got the boat/trailer from says that he has the original bill of sale from the dealer in Austin, dated in 1958, among the registration papers & title from TxDPW (made out in the name of his grandfather). - i have NOT seen it, so this info is "second hand".

he further states that the boat was originally mostly white in color with a black deck & trim.

btw, i see NO sign of a manufacturer's data plate or ANY identifying "name" insignia on the hull.- does anyone know what the "badges" & other identifying trim looked like? = chrome, stainless, painted on or ????

also, the original steering wheel was replaced at some time with a "modern" steering wheel & steering cable. - the pulleys & stainless cables for the old system are in the boat, thank goodness.

anyone know what the original steering wheel for Glasspar looked like & who made it?

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48119

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You're going to have to post some photos before anyone is going to be able to tell you ANYTHING. Keep a few things in mind- The year, make, model, etc may be incorrect on a registration... If you go by the registration, my Glasspar is a 1964... But, there is no way it's a 64- it was only built that way in 60 and 61! Besides, it's got it's serial # IDing it as a 1960.

It might not even be a Glasspar! Even that gets messed up on documentation from time to time.

Does the original bill of sale list the model? Seems like it would.

How sure are you that the interior is original? Might have been changed out.

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48123

Andgott,

as i said, i have NOT seen the paperwork, as it is in storage with the deceased's personal effects.- the grandson says that he will give me all the records as soon as he has a "rainy day" & is off from his construction job.

one would hope that the dates/data on the tax documents & original bill of sale are correct.- i certainly agree that titles & registration documents are FREQUENTLY wrong.

as for who the maker is, it certainly LOOKS like an Avalon, except forthe seats & it is evidently about 6-8" longer than an Avalon is SUPPOSED to be.
the PO's grandson says that as long as he's been alive that the interior has been as it is. - that would make the interior at least 30-35YO. - who knows before that!

does anyone know of a specifications sheet that lists length/beam/width of transom/trim items, etc for each year for Glasspar? - i've NOT seen one.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48125

Satx, as I mentioned in my first post, go to the Glassic Library under Glasspar and click on the blue book excerpts. They have a pretty good list of dimensions

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48149

thetudor; split,

to "thetudor": i had checked the brochures before i posted my query, but didn't think to look at the 1960 info, based on what i was told..

to "split": YEP. a 1960 CITATION. - i owe you a "cold one" & now i'm looking for a 1st generation HOMELITE 55 to power it.

THANKS, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48150

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I've got a 1960 Citation- They are great boats!

www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/45710-launch-day.html

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48158

Andgott,

WOW! beautiful boat!!! = hoping mine looks half as nice, when completed.

i'd really like some good quality CLOSE UPS of both the interior & exterior of yours.

yours,satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48216

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
.S.: Here are some interior close up of a CITATION, BUT with a modern upholstery upgrade,, pro interpretation.. These should be the REAR FACING , Flip down mid seats...Andrew Red boat

........... Pro , light tan ..

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48224

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well, This is how it looked when I got it-

Hopefully, For your sake, yours is in a LITTLE better condition :)

I can get photos of the interior, but it's not 100% done yet... Still have the final details to complete here and there. But, It was time to get it in the water and USE it!

-Andrew

Re:AHOY, Glasspar experts! 12 years 11 months ago #48328

here are several pics of original seats in a citation i just picked up.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online