• Page:

TOPIC: pop-pop toy boat building

pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #47994

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
check out these websites you and your kids and grandkids can have a little fun building these little boats,im sure alot of you can even improve on the designs.
in this link be sure to look all the way to the bottom,there you can see how to build a carbide submarine made from soup cans.
even i might play around building one and i dont have kids,lol,heres the 1st link. www.pop-popboats.com/go.pl?go=www..sticksite..com/putputboat/&referer=http://www.pop-popboats.com/-/newest_additions/&lstref=11
ill be back with the 2nd link,and it has all kinds of links like this.
by the way i didnt write these ,i just found them on the web and thought it was cool,john
here is the 2nd link,it has alot of what are called put-put or pop-pop boat stuff links on it,john

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #47996

Looks like a very cool project and a great parent/child (or grandchild) project. Even the propulsion system is ingenious.

The submarine with the Carbide propulsion is a little scary. I had a carbide canon as a kid and that seemed a little dangerous. Do they even sell that stuff anymore?

John, if you build one of these, I expect it to have fins.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48004

That's cool.. I picked up this little putt-putt boat somewhere a few years back. It's a hoot to play with. Uses a birthday candle laid flat inside. The boat is about 5" long.
Attachments:

Some people are like slinkies... Not much good for anything, but they sure are fun to push down the stairs.

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48005

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Very cool... I say we have a put-put boat building contest on here this winter when our 'real' projects are all laid up :)

I love his video- it even SOUNDS cool!

-Andrew

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48007

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
todd ,yep definatly will have fins,i might make a couple but out of better material,just for fun.
doug thats pretty cool.
andrew i like that idea!especially if we can make them out of anything we want,or hw we want,it would be cool to the designs everyone makes,im in.john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48008

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
this is what a fellow named steve(i dont know his last name)(on ebay,"poppopboats"said ,on how these boats work,he also says that olive oil with a wick works great.
quote....After filling the thrust tubes with water, a small candle or wick with olive oil for fuel is placed underneath the rear of the flash steam boiler. When the water droplets in the boiler flash to steam, the pressure created pushes the water out the ends of the tubes, which provides forward thrust to the boat. As the steam cools and condenses it creates a vacuum, which draws water in for the next cycle. This happens in a quick resonant pulse, which can be seen in the ripples behind the boat. The thin brass stock on the top of the boiler flexes up and down providing an enhanced pulse and putt putt sound, which adds to the drama. The forward pulse is much stronger than the opposite action of the water being drawn back into the tubes. This is best understood in considering that you can blow a candle out, but you cannot suck it out, as the volume of air comes into your mouth from a multidirectional path.

From the technical to the vintage toy enthusiast, everyone has loved putt putt boats since the late 1800’s. Call ‘em what you like, pop pop, putt putt, tin toy steamboat, I love them all. I never tire of watching and listening to them run.

end quote.
i never knew these ever existed,very cool even for a grownup,like me,lol.john

---Mark Twain

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48009

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
opps,i forgot to post the main addy for pop pop boats,lol,lots of links there...... www.pop-popboats.com/-/newest_additions/

---Mark Twain

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48033

I wish my boats were that simple...
Here's the build thread for the boat I built last winter:
www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1353489
And a video:

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48052

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
andgott, that is a very good idea on the toy boat contest. lets get this going it should be fun. frog these are just push toys, or with a string they could be pull toys.
Attachments:

Re:pop-pop toy boat building 12 years 11 months ago #48059

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
chinewalker ,great fun wathing that,cool boats.
frog i agree,and they should be made from scratch wthout a kit,in your own design,except for the propolsion,lol.
and take progress pics,so dads moms,and grand parents can do the same with their kids.

---Mark Twain
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle