• Page:

TOPIC: Where to find parts?

Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47765

• DaveK
  • DaveK's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
There has to be some places to go shopping for boat parts. I searched the internet and drove around the local lake today looking for parts. I need two new pulleys and new cable to redo the steering on my boat. The places I stopped at, would get their catalogs out and they can't get it! I can't believe there is no place to get vinyl covered stainless cable, I can't believe you can't get steering pulleys. Just to be clear, I understand that the pulleys in the corner of the transom can be swivel ones, but the pulleys on the motor should not be, so that they don't twist the steering cable. Surely someone can direct me to a rather complete parts supplier. I must be a Model A guy in a 2012 world.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47767

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Dave.: Coated cable & pully is basically local hardware store stuff , Like Ace Hardware.. Just like erecting a Dog run in ones back yard.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47768

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5

I believe Joe Poole also has some parts on his website, you may want to check with him as well.
www.fergusonpoolemarine.com

Mark

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47769

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
I was at an Ace Hardware and a Menard's today. No stainless coated cable and the pulleys were die cast.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47770

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Ebay and used must be the way to go.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47772

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
What exactly do you need for pulleys. I have some used ones in a box that were removed from various boats. If I snap a picture and post it you can choose and pick for free, just pay for the usps priority mailer.
Cal

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47774

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Sounds great! I have been told that I want now swiveling pulleys at the motor. Currently I have been told my steering is set up wrong. I have the typical drum on the back of the steering wheel. Then at both ends of the dash there are swivel pulleys, that send the cable to the transom. At the corners of the transom are swivel pulleys that send the cable to the motor. At the motor is a spring on each cable that then attaches to the motor steering bracket. I am told to use just one spring and also have a non-swiveling pulley on each side of the motor steering bracket, sending the cable back to the corners of the transom. Here one cable will be secured and the other cable will be attached to a spring and that is secured. Does that make sense? This is on a 14' boat with a 35hp motor. This is the way I bought the 1958 boat from the original family. So it has been wrong all these years. While I was at it, I was going to replace the old cable with new stainless/vinyl coated cable. Not having any luck with that cable either. Galvanized vinyl covered cable though is easy to find. Maybe I am looking at over kill. Hopefully by looking closely, you can see the one cable that is coming in from each side of the boat to the motor or motor bracket.

Attachments:

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47782

Dave,
Here is how mine is set up and this is the original configuration from when my grandfather bought the boat brand new.
Under the dash

Along the gunnels

At the transom

At the motor. There are two of these, one for each side. It's attached to an Evinrude.

By the way, this is still the original hardware also. As you can see the brackish water/air here has rusted the srpings finally so I have to replace those but everthing else is still in good working order. Of course it's been in a garage 99.5% of it's life. Hope this helps.

Bob
Attachments:

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47783

You are correct.... looking for stainless vinyl covered cables is not only overkill but maybe impossible. They have been making clothes lines for decades and that is all you need. Now getting particular on color might continue to make your search harder.

As for swivel vs not....shouldn't matter as long as things are tight. One spring is recommended at the dead end(corner transom or back corner on the return from your engine.

Do a google on outboard cable pully diagram... I found a good one out there somewhere recently probably on one of these forums.

Good luck.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47786

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dave. Here is what I have and also a primative paint drawing of the pulley run.
The five pulleys on the lower right are solid brass with plastic rounds. The two on the left with the brass hooks are what hook to the motor. The one plastic round is chipped. The other pulleys are plastic/aluminum. The cable connectors are brass. I got rid of most of my "supply" a few years back when I thought I was finished with boats. Sold them all to a used parts dealer in Sweden.
Don't have any springs left that I can find at the moment.

Here is the drawing of the cable run as I used on my boats. The springs take up any slack that is caused during turning. Adjust them so there is just enough tension to keep the cable taught so the springs can do their work.

This is a basic setup, same as waterwings' pictures show.

Pick the parts you need and I will send them to you. Shoot me an email with your address.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47788

Cal,
Good drawing, that's exactly how mine is set up also.

Bob

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47798

The proper stuff is called
TILLER CABLE
Plastic coated and fine wire cable.
I would never use clothes line stuff as the wires are not meant to go around a small diameter pulley.
This is a safety item , so get the right stuff.
Look on
iboats.com
Easy as can be !!!

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47800

DaveK,

i have NO cables/pulleys to send you BUT that's a DOGGONE PURTY BOAT, anyhow!

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47801

DaveK,

i have NO cables/pulleys to send you BUT that's a DOGGONE PURTY BOAT, anyhow!

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47804

So is this wrong?
Attachments:

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47806

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Morning Hustler,

The only thing I see that shold be given prompt attention is that Mercury should be immediately crated and sent to my house. Beautiful motor!!! I will lay odds that one of the experts like Cal, John or Andrew will be able to give you terrific guidance on your setup.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47813

Springs should be at the last connection. If they are at the motor it allows potential slop in the steering. the purpose of the springs is to keep system tight. You want a direct response from the steering to the motor.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47814

In a word, scrounge. I have a few pulleys that have either come from boats being demoed or things I've seen in boating consignment shops. My extra cable came from Boaters World when they went out of business. Bought the end of the spool. Have a bunch of other parts "just in case". Get creative and start a collection.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47816

i have cable pulleys all over the place,if you dont find any,i will have alook around to see what i have ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47817

thanks makes sense

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47821

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Thanks for all the replies, offers and suggestions. I think we have a handle on it now.

Dave K

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47822

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Professor, I tried every search I could think of, such as steering cable, boat steering cable, boat pulley steering cable, but never thought of tiller cable. A search that way did show cable. I am an old sailor. A tiller to me, is the handle to the rudder and it is direct, no cables involved. I would never have thought of it that way. Thanks

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47832

I have 40,000 + miles of sailing experience on the " Great Lakes " as well.
" there are old sailors and bold sailers , but there are no " OLD BOLD " sailors.
Most any boat / motor dealer can get you a kit with tiller cable. It used to have 35 feet of cable in a standard kit.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47840

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
tractor supply has stainless cable. I opted for steel though. I am going to seal the ends with epoxy. I am just too cheap!

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47855

DaveK & ALL:

should you need a description of how to set up a cable/pulley system, check out a book at your public library called: BOATS TO GO.

even, "UNmechanical me" can follow his simple
directions/pictures & do a creditable job the first time.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47880

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Dave, got your mail, the pulleys will be sent out Thursday, no $$ please.
Cal

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47888

West marine is where I get my Pulleys
They are used for sailing rigging and most are bearings They called blocks in the sailing world. I have found they cost a bit more, however they are so much smoother the the pulleys

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/SiteSearchView?Nao=0&Ntk=Primary%20Search%20West%20Marine&langId=-1&searchTermScope=3&catalogId=10001&viewTaskName=SiteSearchView&keyword=blocks&beginIndex=0&Ntt=blocks&storeId=11151&Ntx=mode%20matchallpartial&N=377%20710&pageSize=10&sType=SimpleSearch&Ns=WMPrice|0

However they still have tiller rope pulleys

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=112194&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10106&subdeptNum=10469&classNum=10473

As far as cable (wire rope) if you do not care about it being white I use life line cable

It is 7 X 7 (7 wired to make one line 7 line to make the "rope" AKA as cable) and very flexible and strong

www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=69003&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&storeId=11151&storeNum=10102&subdeptNum=10206&classNum=10207

CAVU

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47903

• Kmarty
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

Click on this link, they have everything you need, and it's cheap.
www.duckworksbbs.com/hardware/steering/01/index.htm

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #47918

Kmarty,
Nice site, good prices, thanks for posting that.

Bob

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #48162

a 50 foot K9 tie out cable is equivalent, put the tension springs AT THE GUNNEL ends. right now with the springs at the pulley's @ the motor the motor is jibing left and right on the springs.

Re:Where to find parts? 12 years 11 months ago #48174

• jepstr67
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Dave and others,

I find everything I need hardware wise at a place called McMasters in Chicago. www.mcmaster.com/#

They have an amazing storehouse of stuff. When I did the steering system for my Dad's 1941 Falls Flyer I bought all stainless cable. I got some nice cable pulleys that looked vintage to mount on the 1941 33HP Evinrude Speedifour. (that thing is a kick to drive without neutral or reverse!) I have found switches, grommets, pipes, pumps, hose, and a host of other items I've used to restore cars and boats.

Give them a try.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.278 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online