• Page:

TOPIC: Ride Guide

Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47169

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Does the Ride Glide emblem come off the steering wheel some secret way? I want to strip the wheel down for paint.
Thanks
Cal

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47170

Mine was on with machine screws. The plastic was cracked, so I got some aluminum plate and made a new insert that is attached with machine screws.

Frank

Attachments:

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47171

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
Which ride guide wheel do you have? It depends on which one you have. I am familiar with most of them so let me know.
Randy

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47172

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It's has a arrowhead shaped plastic insert. The insert already has a small upper portion that has been cracked, I don't want to do any more damage.

back

front

damaged upper portion

[/img]

whole setup

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47175

• 63g3
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 2
BE CAREFUL!!! The long bolt will push right through the emblem if you knock on it!!
OK so to remove the emblem, get a small fine flat head screw driver and it will pry out, work right at the bottom edge of the emblem. You might want to warm it up with a hair drier to make it more pliable as the older plastic gets brittle and might crack some more when it bends slightly for removal.
You will see under that is the bolt head for the long bolt.
Good luck,
Randy

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47177

Now that I see yours, I truly forget how my original plastic was held on. I very well may have drilled and tapped those mounting holes, but I don't remember doing that either.

Frank

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47179

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Randy, thanks for the quick reply. Figured with that bolt flopping around on there it wasn't a good situation.
Back to work.....

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47193

no way to get it off without damage, having just repainted mine I used visegrips on the shank of the bolt right behind the wheel so it couldnt slide and break the emblem

Re:Ride Guide 12 years 11 months ago #47214

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey Madprops.
I managed to pry the emblem off, came easy. I think the PO took it off way back when... It was stuck on with window putty and the bolt was flopping around. Unfortunatly the shiney stuff on the back of the emblem stuck to the glue when the plastic came off and the tip that you see in the picture was broken off. Looks like I'll be making a new center piece. I'm thinking some 1/4 clear acrylic cut to shape and rounded on the edges, polished up and with some sort of crazy emblem pasted on the inside then glue it back on. Or.... use the same cushy fabric from the seats to make a small pad like some old 50's steering wheels.
Got the wheel stripped this evening ready to prime, have to pick up a rattle can of zink chromate tomorrow.

Problem I'm running into now is that the ride guide mounting bracket is straight vertical and the dash of the Herters is also straight vertical which means that the wheel would look like a destroyer type. Can't have that so I'll have to come up with something to get the upward slant of the originel pulley setup.

The sneaky people at Dorsett put a "Dorsett" sticker over the quicksilver emblem and then mounted an Evinrude starflyte on the back.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online