• Page:

TOPIC: Workshop Question

Workshop Question 13 years 3 hours ago #46675

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Good Mornig Everyone,

This is something I have been pondering for a while and would appreciate hearing from others in the same, what else, boat.

I have a 30 x 50 shop/garage. I hate having to clean the whole thing whenever I cut some wood, sand something, etc. I also hate not having a clean room where I can stain wood, paint things (brush) without all kinds of dust and crap getting on it. If I install the correct fan/filter system, I could even use it as a paint booth but that part of the project is secondary to my needs. A bank of strategically placed flouresecent lights can provide the necessary lighting, I believe.

I have been debating building a room inside the shop about 15 x 22 (roughly) that would give me the area I need to do these projects. I envision having one of the long walls moveable to facilitate being able to get long things like my Hydrodyne in there easier and without having to move a ton of stuff around.

Has anyone else run into this issue and, if so, how did you resolve it? Please share your thoughts and any design features you think may be helpful.

Take care and have a VERY terrific day, everyone!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 3 hours ago #46678

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I was looking for an old thread where Heather built a paint booth in her shop with heavy plastic walls and 2x4 framing Todd, but can't seem to find it. Maybe somebody brighter than me (doesn't take much!) can help locate it, turned out pretty nice. Could be used for all your need you listed, good idea actually, I DO KNOW what you're talking about. ;)

Mark

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 3 hours ago #46681

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Boy I know that feeling I do any paint work in the Garage because the horses out at teh barn jsut make everythign dusty in a day... a shale floor doesnt help.. I think the 2x4 frame and clear plastic is a great idea for a paint booth.

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 2 hours ago #46686

Check this guys set-up out, bet you could do it your shop...

www.hotrodders.com/forum/heres-my-paint-booth-203193.html#post1461141

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 2 hours ago #46687

Yes I made a room in my garage with tarps when I planned on doing sandblasting and stuff. It worked well and I could tarp it off in 15 minutes. When I wanted wide open area I took them down. I had tons of light too. My garage was 24 X 24 with a 22 X 12 room added on. It had a basement under the add-on at garage level.

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 1 hour ago #46695

todd yeah heather did a nice job on her spray booth,as for me my garage is only 14 x24 feet,so i have to do it all in there.
if you need tables that fold away i came up with these, because i can work on them ,then when i need room to move around a boat to spray it ,they fold up into the walls. sorry todd the pics of the tables didnt post,but you can see one of them in the background,they are hindged to the wall,and the legs lay into a 2x6 ripped at 45 degrees,when not in use the .
also since this pics is up,the motor stand was built on..you guessed it a harbor frieght moving dolly,it now has a huge satrflight v 75 hp on it.
the big table in the middle also folds up and i have a hoist in the ceiling that after its folded up,it pulls it up into the rafters,i then put rachet straps on it to make sure it stays there,lol.sorry its a little off topic but since you are getting a garage ready i thought these might come in handy they did for me,john p.s. i put almost everything i could on castors,so i can move stuff wherever i want,lol.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 1 hour ago #46696

frank,that spray booth is a fantastic idea,i wish i had a big garage,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 1 hour ago #46701

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey PC,

Now that is a cool idea and somewhat similar to what I envisioned. I was actually planning on the one long wall being hinged at the back but the idea you found is fantastic. I guess its off to Lowe's to see what I can find!

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 1 hour ago #46702

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
These are some really terrific ideas, everyone. Thank you very much. I thought I had the ideal man hideaway until I got tired of cleaning every time I sanded, ect. Now it time for change.

Maybe the moderators would be nice enought to make a category for tools and shops. We can all share our ideas, as we've done here, for others to check out.

As I've said before, you guys are the GREATEST!!! Thanks and have a fantastic day!

Re:Workshop Question 13 years 48 minutes ago #46704

I thought that guy's stow-away paint booth was great too, saved it for no reason really than to help other more fortunate folks out! For me, it's good old plastic sheeting...

Frank

Re:Workshop Question 12 years 11 months ago #47091

I just used 6mil plastic sheeting fastened to the rafters.with 2 x 4s secured to the bottom.The bay in my garage has a window that i hung a 30" fan in.then I cut in and taped 2 20 x 20 furnace filters in. I also taped a filter on the fan .I open the garage door turn on the fan,worked pretty good when I spraye my canoe.When I was done I just rolled the walls up and sucered then to the ceiling.for the door I overlaped the walls by about 48"
Attachments:

Re:Workshop Question 12 years 11 months ago #47094

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
FANTM 58 -My spray booth is pretty much the same as your's blow , sweep , and hose everything down with water prior to spraying to keep the dust down , and turn on the the fan.....which also goes thru the wall . Hey guy's i have used this easy........ bull crap system for years now which seems to work really well considering most paints will need to be sanded and buffed .........

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online