TOPIC: Does sailing count?

Does sailing count? 13 years 2 days ago #46386

• Shipster
  • Shipster's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi All,
The Crosby aint goin' in this year But...
our 1965 Tartan 27 has never been out of the water. Robin and I are anxiously waiting for this Saturday to begin our week long trek from Kilmarnock VA on the Northern Neck of VA up to Middle River MD. Granted this is a completely different experience than what most of you here are accustomed to. While many of you guys are trying to top 50 mph with the Towers we will be working hard to hit 4-5 knots in what typically is a northerly wind (the exact direction we need to go in). Not that I'm complaining about being out on the water its just that I am also anxiously awaiting the time (hopefully next spring) when I can just turn the key and go FAST. Anyway wish us luck and I hope my weeklong FG withdrawal won't kill me. At least we'll have water all around us.
Shipster

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Does sailing count? 13 years 2 days ago #46397

have my friend,my dad had a sailboat and he loved it,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Does sailing count? 13 years 2 days ago #46401

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You're on the water, and that's all that counts!!

I LOVE the T-27s... I tried to buy one about 8 yrs ago, there was one in kind of sad shape at my marina, it had been out of the water for years, and was showing signs of neglect. The owner had bought it as a project, and never got to it- But also never bothered to cover it. Water had gotten in to the deck core, and it was rotten in spots (the owner said "you just have to step lightly in a few places")

I offered a trade for my Cape Dory, which I had just finished restoring, and initially they accepted, but changed their mind, since it was a smaller boat the owner didn't think it was a fair trade. He kept trying to sell the boat, for WAY more than it was worth in its present condition. Last I knew, it was being cut up with a chainsaw. Sad.

-Andrew

Re: Does sailing count? 13 years 2 days ago #46402

My love for sailing began with a Sea Snark in 67 and carried through a Flying Jr, a Ctalina 22, ad a Freedom 29. CERTAINLY sailing counts!!!

Blest boater

Re: Does sailing count? 13 years 2 days ago #46407

Of course sailing counts. I am a sailor who got into glassics because there tends to be little wind in my area in August. Sold this a few years ago. May buy another one if I find it. Max speed about 20 kts.
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Does sailing count? 13 years 2 days ago #46420

<<<<<<
Yep, sailing does count. Skip.

Re:Does sailing count? 13 years 1 day ago #46481

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi All,
I think I was asking the question rather facetiously. Certainly we ALL know that any way to get out there is great! Andgott, I'm surprised that they didn't jump at the Cape Dory trade. They're beautiful boats, made well, and beautiful bronze hardware throughout. We bought out T27 2 years ago and have come to find out that here around the Chesapeake ther are a bunch of them Cheap. If you want me to keep a look out I certainly will. They are indeed great sailing boats. There's also alot of Catalinas and Pearsons. Can't wait to get under way!! Hope to post pix when we get back to MD.
Shipster

Re:Does sailing count? 12 years 11 months ago #46758

I had a Coronado 30 (my first boat) about 10 years ago and I kept it in Kilmarnock, VA also. I rebuilt the Atomic 4 engine with the help of Rusty at Chesapeake Boat Basin. Sold it mainly because of the 1.5 hour drive to get to it and I started getting interested in glassics which I could work on in my backyard and trailer.

There's nothing like the sense of freedom when sailing with the wind!

picasaweb.google.com/106863930081798733251/PrettyLuckyCoronado30

Hello, World!!

Re:Does sailing count? 12 years 11 months ago #46767

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ken,
That's right exactly where we are. Actually about 5 min.s outside of Kilmarnock. Anyway, we drive down today and set sail tomorrow!!!
See ya in a week.
Shipster

Re:Does sailing count? 12 years 11 months ago #46809

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
My dad built his 19' Lightning #8441 back in '62, when I was 9yrs. old. You might say I grew up on that boat. He was pretty generous with us taking her out. I remember many times taking her out by myself, single handed. It was a handful though in a good wind while sailing with both main and jib. I did have some exciting times with my beefy 130lbs. holding her down. He sold her in the mid '70's and regretted it,he found her and bought her back.He restored her in 1980 and to this day it still looks as good as the day he built it. When I think how times have changed. Laws change and the attitudes of parents have changed. I can't imagine letting a 13-14 yr. old take out a boat like this single handed today. Maybe that is why we never get into bad life. We had enough thrills, just being kids.

Re:Does sailing count? 12 years 11 months ago #47305

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Well we made it. We left Kilmarnock VA Saturday with what we expected, i.e. northerly winds at 1 knot at best when we were headed due north. No problems because we have a Yanmar diesel as backup power. We're motoring. Sunday we blow a high pressure fuel line that we can't repair on the fly so with absolutely no wind we decide to get towed back in to Point Lookout and are told Tuesday at the earliest for a replacement part. Oh well. Then we find an old Volvo in the marina with a similar hose and and we're back on track Monday morning instead of Tuesday afternoon. Still no wind so we're gonna keep motoring like hell. Tuesday no incedent. Wednesday we're finally expecting winds out of the east which we get and we scream up the last part of the bay under sail. We get in to dock Wednesday afternoon when we expected to not get there until Friday. No systems failed. My wife and I are still on speaking terms (or at least for me, listening terms). This was our first overnight or sea trials whatsoever for this boat so I would say we had a pretty damn good sail. We couldn't have had more fun. Truly.
Shipster

Re:Does sailing count? 12 years 11 months ago #47906

Does sailing count? Of course!

I'm restoring our Starwind 223 right now while waiting to collect all the parts for the Falls Flyer. the Starwind was probably the first 8' 6" beam trailer sailor made. Shouldn't have needed restoring, but factory defects let water leak in and we hadn't been watching it.

When we're not messing with it or the glassics, we're trying to spend time on the Cheoy Lee 40' Midshipman.

I for one would be interested in seeing other old sailboat restorations here. A lot of the tricks apply to both.

• Page:
Time to create page: 2.002 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online