• Page:

TOPIC: Commander Boats I.D. Problem

Commander Boats I.D. Problem 13 years 4 days ago #46322

• HopFrog
  • HopFrog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I have been googling around to find out about my Commander 20' open bow what-ever-it-is. I have written 2 emails to Commander Boats and called out there. No one seems to be able to care i mean tell me what I have. I give the ser. no. and it goes into Limbo.

I have seen some amazing information come out of the guru's here so I'm putting this on the table. I have used serial numbers to find out things about cars and trucks, but you have to have a manual of the make and year to cipher. I'm hoping someone here has a book on Commander Boats.

Boring story alert!... I acquired this commander boat from a friend. He was storing it on his driveway for a fella up the street. Then the guy dies. The family is disgusted with the "ol' man" and doesn't want to have anything to do with the vehicles on his property. We approached them and they said they did not have the paperwork for any boats. He was a bit of a pack rat and they just gutted the property and sold it to an expanding warehouse. It's basically an abandoned vessel. I'm sure it's out of the California DMV data base by now. They delete after 5 years if you don't have a Planned Non-op in effect.

So Here is the serial number and I hope someone can tell me the make and model from it. Any more would be fantastic. Any bits of info on Commander Boats are few and far between.

COJ20742D888

TTFN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Commander Boats I.D. Problem 13 years 3 days ago #46331

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Not boring at all, HF. Quite the hot rod you have there, good luck with your search.

Mark

Re:Commander Boats I.D. Problem 13 years 3 days ago #46342

Your Manufacturer's Identification Code (MIC) COJ20742D8888 indicates the boat was made by Commander Boats, Riverside, California in April 1988 and she is a 1988 model year boat. The "20742" was the companies internal serial number.

COJ = Commander Boats
D = April
88 = the year 1988
8 = the model year 1988

According to the US Coast Guard MIC webpage, Commander Boats was out of business in January 2009.

Andreas

Re:Commander Boats I.D. Problem 12 years 8 months ago #54520

• HopFrog
  • HopFrog's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thank you so much ThompsonBoats :)

I think there are days I forget where i put my head. It's taken me a while to get back to the Glassic Forum. So many distractions through the holidays.

I have been to the website and called out there, someone is answering. The website shows a 2011 line of boats. So if they went out of business, there is someone that doesn't know it and is still answering the phone. lol

But I've heard of stories that there are solders that don't know a war is over :p

Your information is invaluable :)

If California wont register it, my cousin in Arizona said bring it out there, Arizona wants the money and I can register it at his house :p

www.commanderboats.com/

I will call there on Tuesday and ask what's going on. There is a phone number on the website that is Riverside County. I'm willing to bet that they pulled a Chapter 11 or something. That would explain the Coast Guard info. I'll get back to this thread with what I find in a few days.

Re:Commander Boats I.D. Problem 12 years 8 months ago #54556

• Ike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 14
Many times a company goes out of business or into bankruptcy and then is sold. The company starts up again under the same name making the same boats but are incorporated under a separate entity. Unfortunately this usually means they have no records on the former company, and are not liable for any boats built previously. So, you will be very lucky indeed if there is someone there who knows anything about the former company. But sometimes they do hire people from the former company. That's who you need to talk to.

Peter D. Eikenberry
newboatbuilders.com
"Don't tell me that I can't. tell me how I can."
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.175 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024