Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!?

Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46137

Hi all, was sent to this site to get more info on a project I hope to pick up tmrw. Any information on things to look for on this old boat and advice going forward will be greatly appreciated! Is this boat rare? I know its worth atleast what the guy is asking and the boat pics look like she is in reasonable shape to start a project. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks Budd
Heres the boat - louisville.craigslist.org/boa/2618549733.html

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46143

welcome chriscraft,that is a cutter jet deville,i paid 350 for mine without the harware and motor,make him an offer then take out about 200 lbs of wet foam from under the seats.lol.
other then that they are great built boats,,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46145

John if I get her, she will probably get gutted and done right. It will be a long project based on funds available. But it would fit in the garage no problem. Think its just one that deserves to be restored and made like new. I already have a Chris Craft 254 that I have restored/upgrade. So I can enjoy that while playing with this one. The motor is probably worth more than what he is asking, if it runs. Will know tmrw. Thanks

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46151

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard CC254, that's a cool ole Cutter, definitely worth restoring IMHO. I agree with John, those are very well built boats, and a sweet Merc to boot! Sounds like the seller is open to "reasonable offers", I'd try knocking a hundred or one fifty off his asking price and take her home with you. ;)

Mark

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46153

I think you'll have a real Gem when you'r done. I like the Merc hanging on the back. Welcome aboard.

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46156

Offer whatever, but in the end leave with the boat.
It is a nice size, and very cool looking.
If that motor is servicable then $450 is a steal.

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46158

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
254 parts are available for the motor despite what your were told on another site.The Merc forum here is pretty much all pre-V6 and many members have parts for the them.If she spins and your told it was running your in good shape,better yet if they start it for you.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46162

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
C.C. : WELCOME.. at $350 I think you will be ahead of the game .. Seeing it has a $ 100 + Spot Light on deck . .! My NOrth Tenn friend just sold one with the 6 Cyl Merc for maybe $650 ,,

.. The seller may have more stuff , or exchange #'s for others he finds in future. Merc's are always keepers. If electric start even better. Ask for spare props... Like our member above , need to leave with the rig.

We are south east of you below Knoxville, Tn & have a show in Mid May if you get her painted , etc.. Give us a pic of the interior.

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 5 days ago #46166

cc,cutter used a vollrath bow light,(stainless steel)there is one on ebay right now,it matches the arrow head design on the top of the bow, this one was bought for me by some of my fantastic fg friends for christmas.
here is the arrow head shape im talking about,on the deck(under the horns),as you can see it needs everything,lol,john,ps it says 1957 on the windshield but its a 59. does the back of yours have the hatch like this?it "might"be a 59.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Newbee here with a 1960 project!?!? 13 years 4 days ago #46230

Wow, thanks everyone for the warm welcome and all the great information! I can tell you guys are a great group already!

I contacted the seller today, I still have not seen the boat in person. I will be meeting him in the morning to look it over. He said he bought it after the previous owner had died. Just has to many projects going to do anything with it. Said it had sat in a garge for ten years. He has not run the motor.

Being that it sat for that long, I am wondering what it will take to get her running. I'm hoping she was put away correctly and was running. But who knows. I will try and get as much info from him tomarrow as I can including maybe the previous owners familys name. Maybe I can track down one of the kids for more info.

I will keep all of you posted on this. If I get it, I will post up some photos and will document the restore. Keeping my fingers crossed that he didn't sell it today.

Not sure about the rear hatch, but the seller seemed to know the motor year and the boat year. I will ask about extra parts also. Thanks again to all of you for the comments and information. If I missed a question, I will get back to ya after tmrw. Hitting the sack.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7429 guests and one member online