Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: U WILL 2

U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45652

Picked up this little gem on sunday. only had to spend 8 hrs on the road. I had a small problem with a bearing but managed to fix it. I think the boat shall be called "U Will". And the best part is it is a 800 merc Dockbuster. Some idiot painted it black.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:U WILL 13 years 1 week ago #45657

#8 down is the emergency bearing dust cap...a SODA POP Bottle and some electric tape.

Re:U WILL 13 years 1 week ago #45658

MY GOD...SO MANY PICTURES..you now could be a professional boat restorer.

Re:U WILL 13 years 1 week ago #45659

These are just afew pics I took of the boat. It is a 67 Crestliner Explorer. Picked it up for 200.00 . The driver side bearing cap was gone so I just shot abunch of grease in it, cut a pop bottle top off and taped the hell out of it to the hub. Stayed on all the way home, over 100 miles. Found out today after i took out all the mouse nests that it is a 800 dockbuster. 60/61 vintage. even found an old registration card and the key for the controls.

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45669

Boy, that looks like one cool project Skip. What are your plans for it?

Frank

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45670

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Unless I missed it in the pics, did you get the faceplate for the 800? Was it painted also?
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45679

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
that is going to be a real nice boat when done. I did look at one once it had a 63 Merc 650 on it. My wife was not happy with me that day so I left it where it was.

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45784

My wife went with me to get this boat and took one look at it and got back in the truck and didn't say anything. After we started back she told me to stop at a store. She went in and bought a bottle of Gin and a large pop. After 3 shots she finnally said ok on the boat. I do have the face plate for the engine. Its the best looking part of the whole boat.

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45789

Neil wrote:

Unless I missed it in the pics, did you get the faceplate for the 800? Was it painted also?
Neil

I think skipy missed your question, but the face plate is fine and still looks OEM.

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45794

Here is a pic of the 800 merc faceplate that you were inquireing about.
Attachments:

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45797

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
The face plate looks good, one less thing to fix, right?
If my wife were to buy a bottle of Gin on a boat retrieval, she would'nt drink it, she would hit me in the head with it! :(
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45801

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Love those Old Cruisers .. With the Wife its easier to ask for forgivness than permission ..

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45829

Well, I been encouraging skipy to take pictures of U-Will-2, if he gets around to how the boat got it's name..in audio conversions while in IM, the last part of..any sentence about the boat was normally,

you will take some picture...right?
you will just strip out the inside right...
you will make a spot for a protapotty in between the bunks?

the -2- came about...a posting misstep which in a lesson session skippy made two identical threads....poffff

U-Will-2

kind of fits in away, just add it up..Wife, boating, portapotty, and I kind of explained to him..a small day cruiser like that could almost be considered a water bed...

last I talked to him, he was sounding rather surprised about the DB, seems with the spark plugs out and lubed he can spin the flywheel by hand and the timing belt is broke.

right off the bat I told him to start talking to Tim, which he said Tim who..and I explained who Tim is..and he said something a long the lines he never seen any post or threads...or talked to any "tim" on the forums...all I could say was.....

you will....

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45834

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hey Skip,

That faceplate is a work of art in its own right. Heck, I'd have to debate hanging that on my office wall it so nice. Seriously. You hit the lottery with that one.

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45835

besides tim calmes(tim c)in perry,n.y., theres also jim sgrignioli (marathon 6)from lancaster pa. they are both excellent merc mechanics. email me for they're phone #s. ron

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45908

Yea, I kinda lucked out with the face plate. It was just laying in the motor well, face up and all shiny. Gonna rebuild this boat,its kinda rough right now but it should be a good project. I do have one question, has anyone ever tryed to pull start a dockbuster? Just think about that one. :unsure:

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45915

Well after a little reserch on the motor tonight I have found out that it is a 700 dockbuster not an 800. Soooo now I have a little problem. I need a 700 face plate to replace the nice shiny 800 faceplate. Any takers out there?

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45920

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Ah heck, put the 800 on, it will boost the old girls confidence! :)
I only have one of the 700 faceplates or I would help you out.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 1 week ago #45930

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
RE; 700 faceplate - Kelly (webmaster) had one for sale at one time, don't know if he's still got it or not. They do come up on ebay from time to time as well, you may want to post a "wanted ad" in the Glassifieds and/or the Merc Outpost forum.

Mark

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 6 days ago #46025

Here is what I did this morning before I went to work. Got the interior ripped out and cleaned up.

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 6 days ago #46027

Dude...wth is all that red stuff that was under the bunk area...did you cut yourself or something?

if that's blood.I sure hope you made it to the ER....

NANANA..I figured it out...that's where hoffa was ...

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 6 days ago #46028

wow skip,you dont mess around,that was fast,and its looking good,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 6 days ago #46036

Looks like you're going right at it Skip, won't be long at that pace. I'm glad to know we have a canoe, as we may very well need it if we get mush more rain...

Keep up the good work. That's gonna be one great cruiser when you get her done!

Frank

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 5 days ago #46134

The water is still 6 ft. deep around my big shop and slowly going down. I hope that it drops soon so I can get my boats into the shop and out of the driveway. The wife really wants her garage back to keep her new car in it. gonna finnish off the demo tomorrow and maybe think about lifting the moter off.The boat looks alot better with the junk out of it and cleaned up.I just love the stringers that crestliner used, all fiberglass and no wood in them. I does make the job alot easyer to do. :laugh: One other good thing, at least I can go sailing in my pool.

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 5 days ago #46148

Fiberglass stringers are such an excellent idea! If everyone had done that, and made transoms out of thick aluminum plate, life would be SO much easier.

I only have a two car garage and right now my poor disabled hot rod is sitting where I usually park my '09 Canyon. I really don't like my truck sitting out in the weather, but mama ain't about to give up her space!

Good luck Skip!

Frank

Re:U WILL 2 13 years 3 days ago #46324

I started to pull the motor apart today. The chock butterfly are siezed solid so decided to pull carbs and starter. I have kinda forgot that nothing is easy to take off these motors. Haven't worked on one in about 40 yrs. Checked the compression on it . got 90 - 95 lbs on each cly. with just the pull start. Not to bad. I put a white top hat on it just to see what it would kinda look like. Hers afew pics.

This motor evan has the factory lead seal on it.

Re:U WILL 2 12 years 9 months ago #52581

Hi Skip,

I have just joined the Crestliner Explorer club! I brought home what the title says a 1965, though I think its a 1964. The uphostered piece that i indicated in you photo below was rotted and replaced with a basic plywood replacement. I was wondering if you had any more photos of this piece or measurements that would help me to reconstruct the proper piece.

Thanks,

Dean
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:U WILL 2 12 years 9 months ago #52586

Dean, congrates on the Explorer. They are a fairly nice boat and are really easy to work on. The rear padded cover on the motor well on mine was made out of wood and cover with vynal. It was only a piece of 3/4" plywood and the side pieces were the same. I have the measurements out in the garage and I will dig them out for you and post them. I throw out the wood as it was totally rotted out. Ther was also a 3/4" piece of plywood that went straight down to the floor that had the same covering on it. The hinges for the 2 rear folding seats were attached to it.If you got any pics of yours post them. These boats are pretty rare and I have only seen acouple more of them around. Skip.

Re:U WILL 2 12 years 9 months ago #52622

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Congrats on scoring the Explorer Dean, looking forward to the restoration pics. Great that you and Skip can compare notes on this rare find, love the lines on that old cruiser! ;)

Mark

Re:U WILL 2 12 years 9 months ago #52716

Thanks Guys!

I am really proud of myself for snagging the Explorer. I had been looking for months for a decent Dorsett Catalina, and came across this boat. The more I went back and looked at it on CL, the more it grew on me. :laugh:

I didnt get any photos before I covered it up, we are having a bit of December rain up here in the NW... and I told myself I couldnt touch it until I get my new garage finished (its getting close) so I can have a good warm place to work on it. So its under a tarp to start drying out.

Skip, you are right... these things are really rare! I have searched and searched for information... not much out there.

Its my intent to do a full restore, but this boat is going to be my Puget Sound fishing boat. I have a '59 Avalon that I am going to remove the Evinrude Etec 50, controls, bimini and all the electronic goodies to use on the Crestliner. I plan to refinish it with Awlgrip in red and white.

Here are some poor quality photos from the CL ad, I will post some in January as I move it from under the tarp to the new garage location.

Dean

For those of you that are not familiar with a Crestliner Explorer, this is like Skip and mine:
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:U WILL 2 12 years 9 months ago #52733

Dean, nice pics. Do you have the motor well like the one in the ad or like the one in my pics. One thing you might want to check is the transom really good. They were made of only 1" plywood and then they added 1/2" plywood to the outside of the transom to make it stronger. This plywood was attached with alum. screws that corroded away over time and then water would get into the wood inside the transom.It was a kinda designed to fail transom.If the outside wood is bad and the inside wood is good you can just replace the out side ply. One nice thing about these boats are the fiberglass stringers. No rot there,and the floor is not glassed in, real easy to replace if needed. There is another post with more pics of the inside tear out or I could post afew pics if you need them,and I will post the mesurements of the back piece you asked about tomorrow. Skip.

Re:U WILL 2 12 years 9 months ago #52734

Here are afew more pics of the transom. and next week we will learn how to put spaces between the pics. :S Skip.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online