• Page:

TOPIC: Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction

Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45517

• 63 Sabre
  • 63 Sabre's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Here are some random pictures of the boats that were up for auction and some that were just "there". The show and auction sure impressed me and the boats were mostly woodies with a few glassics thrown in. I would say that more than 50% of the boats did not sell because their reserve was not met Highest bid that I saw was for $250,000.00 that was turned down, didn't meet the reserve. The glassic Herters flying fish went for $14,000.00.
Enjoy the pics. It rained off and on during the day so the owners were busy with the towels making their beauties look ship shape. It was a dream world for a few hours. All the boats were well worth their asking price.
[img] [img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images/100_0197.JPG

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45537

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Thanks for sharing those pics and the video (in the other thread) with us Cal, it looks like a "sensory overload" with beauty situation! Having the experience of that many magnificent boats in one location must have been a rare and wonderful "once in a lifetime" thing.

Mark

Re: Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45540

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Cal and Mark, I totally agree - nothing but beatiful boats and magnificent workmanship. I didn't see a lot of kids in the pics. Don't dads take their kids to things like tis anymore? I take my son to everything like this that I can get him to so he gains an appreciation for the hard work that goes into having something of value. Hopefully the kids were all at the hotdog stand at the time. Us dads, we live on the experience.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45544

I was there on Friday. I was underwhelmed by the show. Tons of brand new reproductions/knockoffs in the water. Only one fiberglass boat in the water and a handful on land. Not many wooden outboards. The Chris-Craft Land Cruiser camper trailer was very groovy!

The minimum fee to bring a boat was about $95.00. Way to expensive. That's why I did not bring a boat.

The lapstrake boat seminar/workshop and panel discussion was good (altho I am biased as I was a part of it!). Had a great fish fry at Gordy's on Friday night!

So the Mecum auction boats that "sold" last Fall in Minnesota but really did not sell did not sell again!

Andreas

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45550

great pics...wish they had a boat auction around here. ron

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45552

• OFFSHORE GINGER
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
Thank you for sharing........ the weather looked a little cloudy but overall i am sure you you had a great time . Sabre 63 , just saw a Sabre for sale down the road here in town that needs restoring .

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45557

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
There were not any small children at the auction itself on Sunday that I saw. Probably because the grownups were the kids in a candy shop. Someone bidding on a quarter million $ boat would not appreciate someone calling for daddy during the bid. Actually did not see very many young adults there bidding either. Just my opin. Well worth the 3+ hour drive for me and friends. BTW my "kids" are in their 40's, grand kids are teens but unfortunatly they do not share the appreciation of the boats, as they say "It's an aquired taste"
Regards.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45562

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Wow- Some nice boats there... I am glad I was no where near that auction- Not that I could have afforded anything anyway, BUT that doesn't always stop me :)

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45584

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Cal,

Its seems anything older is not cool anymore. I'm a history major, almost done with my BA, and I can't believe the attitude of the younger people in my classes towards anything that didn't happen within the last week. I grew up attending Hershey Antique Auto Club meets with my dad who instilled a sense of appreciation and respect for older things - like people, cars, boats, motorcycles, etc.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45588

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK that was worth a karma point.
Attachments:

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45603

cal,thanks for the pics and info,i was wondering how much the flying fish went for,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45612

john, its in his post...$14,000

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45628

If it sold for $14,000 I wonder why it didn't make the top ten prices in the auction results on the Mecum website?
The top boat went for $75,000 and the number 10 sold for $11,250. $14,000 should have put it on the list.
I heard from a friend who was there that it no-saled because it didn't make reserve.
Mecum will eventually post all the results, not just the top ten, and that should explain it.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45635

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
The Herters was number four on the list so it was early in the auction. I wish I would have filmed that sale. I could be wrong on the sale but I know the bid was at $14,000. Maybe that's as high as it got and there was no sale. I just wrote the numbers down on the sale sheet as they were going in and out the tent. Even if it didn't sell at 14g it gives us all an idea of what someone is willing to pay for a glassic. That boat was simple, no frills or extras but the work was almost flawless. The 75g boat I have marked down as the CC Cobra. John, I paid particular attention to the Herters bow piece and it was not polished to a mirror sheen, just pretty well cleaned up. I'm beginning to think that the cast aluminum is beyond mirror shine. I have been experimenting with my trim pieces and have had some luck with OOO steel wool, and some rubbing compound, a good cleaning and then gloss lacquer. I knocked some nicks out with 220 grit before working on them.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45637

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just checked the mecum results myself and they do not have my friends Delta listed there that sold for $32g and I know for sure he sold it. Happier than a clam he was.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45685

You may want to check this link to the Mecum website.

mecum.com/auctions/auction_results.cfm

It shows a beautiful Delta on the top ten list as number five for $32,000.

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45687

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
OK, that be the one. Seems they are updating the site as we type. I joined/registered with the Mecum site. Sounds like you can watch streaming on line auctions as they happen.
Well, back to my Herters project now, going to work on fixing up the motor well and fabricating edge pieces for the transom trim. More pictures on the Herters thread tonight.
Attachments:

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45692

Here are some pictures of Larry's Delta. Check out the detail he went to on this beauty. The bolts have brass caps, white wall tires, fancy bow light, Not many people spent this much time on a trailer it is a beautiful as the boat.

Del

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45693

wow,that boat and trailer is stuning,just perfect,john

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45698

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Outstanding craftsmanship, for sure!

Not many people spent this much time on a trailer it is a beautiful as the boat.

I seem to remember a couple that qualify, one of yours in particular Del. :P

Mark

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45704

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hey, even the brass acorn nuts on the trailer were polished. I believe the trailer chrome trim was parts from an old Packard front end, could be wrong as usual.

John, here is a close up of the Herters bow piece at the show.
Should be a good image so you can zoom in.
Attachments:

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45738

thanks cal,i appreciate it.
it looks like we dont have to get it mirror finished,i sand blasted the handles on it to see how they would look ,there is pitting,but my father in law,a retired welder in a power plant,told me if i use aluminum wire ,and dip it in boraxo detergent i might be able to use a torch and braize them in.now i have to find some boraxo,lol.
the boraxo works like a flux,and removes impurities.john

---Mark Twain

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45768

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I didn't know they even made that stuff anymore. 20 mule team. Like the old TV commercials. I have the aluminum wire, a whole spool of it I picked up by mistake for my welder, wife uses it on her craft stuff.
Thanks for the tip.
Cal

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45813

cal,yeah they still make it but i have only found it on the net,i hate to buy a couple of pounds of it when all im going to do is dip aluminum wire in it,lol.
i see you remember 20 mule team borax,"wagon train",lol,i think it was ward bond,lol,john

---Mark Twain

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45830

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
You nailed it old timer.
Attachments:

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 1 week ago #45919

Cal,
Sorry late to the game here but thank you very much for the "Fix". Those are some great pics thank you so much for sharing them with us. Been tied up trying to hot rod the Fat Fifty and didn't come out so good, that's why I haven't started a post for it yet. Won't do that until i make sure it actually works! LOL

Bob

Re:Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 5 days ago #46067

• JAG
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Remember, they also could have just been pumping for a bid and never got one so shut it down,Its called running the bid, no real action.
JAG

Re: Geneva Lake ACBS boat show/Mecum auction 13 years 4 days ago #46221

63Sabre,
Just curious if you saw the Buehler Turbocraft and had any info on the owner and location. Understand it failed to make reserve.
Jim
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.309 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7300 guests and one member online