• Page:

TOPIC: I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go

I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45216

• barnfinder
  • barnfinder's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

After finally getting around to working on and finishing(well 95%) I am forced to part with my glassic baby. I even did a bunch of horse-trading to put a '56 TeeNee under her in the hopes of having and keeping a nice package.

But the always unforeseen big expenses have arisen so the toys/dreams go first.

Have a look if anyone is interested. I am in upstate NY close to Rochester BTW.

buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/2612956809.html

Maybe the asking price might be high but it certainly feels right to me as one of only two of these boats I know exist and is not a shell sitting with weeds in it.

Let me know what you think please.

Thanks,
Tim
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45230

I think the price is low!!! If I didn't have 4 of them I would jump on it. All the hard work is done.

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45233

your really low-ballin it. i paid 3k for mine and it wasn't in that condition. ron

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45236

• frog
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
some one is going to get a very nice boat at a steal. wish it were me. hope things work out ok for you. frog

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45240

Very reasonable price indeed.
Those of us who have worked on restorations know what hard work goes into these boats! B)

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45248

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ok that is exactly why I threw it in front of the experts. I knew it was most likely pretty rare and valuable when I picked it up...especially as it had great bones and was solid from keel up. I usually never count my time when restoring boats and reselling but have increasingly been more and more disappointed with all my sweat and craftsmanship being simply passed on to the lucky buyer without much thought of compensation for it too much.

Ok I have edited and bumped it up....still under half the price of all the little 13 foot Whalers out there.(I sold one of those completely restored( a 1961) a couple of years ago with a beautifully restored White Merc 300 for a mere $1200.

Thanks for re-shaping my head ...as my old work-buddy used to say.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

If the ladies don't find ya handsome, they'd better at least find ya handy...... Red Green

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45249

Great looking boat. I'd start at $3500, Tim. Can I ask what you used to restore your hull? Re-glass or paint? Looks great.

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45251

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I have had experience restoring glass with everything from gel coat to awlgrip and had great success even with good old Rustoleum. But the best method/paint I have found is one part Brightsides poly. It is certainly a lot longer process to roll and tip than spraying but I have found the results very similar if done correctly and this paint is very cooperative when treated properly and lays down and levels out very nicely with a beautiful finish.

Of course preparation is 80% or more and technique/good paint is the rest.

BTW... I have not touched the hull but just worked from the blue up and inside. It was supposed to have be done professionally but besides using a really good paint apparently, there was some runs and some patch work done(though very solid and comprehensive) was not faired properly and is visible.

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45262

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
While I'm certainly no expert, I personally think you're still well within the "reasonable range" with your price Tim. That's a beautiful example of a rare Glassic, and sounds like pretty much a "turn key" sale. Very sorry to hear of your financial misfortune, it's becoming all too common these days. Good luck with the sale, that will make someone a great deal, IMHO. ;)

Mark

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45263

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Can someone help me understand why on earth anyone would feel the need to flag my ad on Craigslist? I just don't get it.

OH Wait.... It just occurred to me that it might be because I inadvertently used the trademark name of FiberGlassic in my add title. Would that be it?

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45265

• Andgott
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
could have been, but somewhat doubtful...

Someone probably thought it was a scam- When you advertise a fully restored boat that cheap, some people might wonder.

Might also be someone that wants it- Flagging it so it gets taken down and no one else can see it :)

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45269

tim,im sorry you have to sell your boat,i have sold some stuff that was very important to me,just to stay afloat,i would hang on to your boat just a little while,things just may change in the near future.
i had to sell my dads 1960s weatherby 257 mag.,it was his baby and when he died my mom gave it to me,i had no choice but to sell it,if i would have just waited a little while things would be ok,i now regret selling it very,very much,and its gone forever.take care ,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45275

So what the listing price and specifics? I missed the ad before it was flagged. I agree it the flagging could be from a would be buyer wanting to shut out other buyers. Good Luck !!

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45277

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I re-posted in another CL city nearby:

buffalo.craigslist.org/boa/2612956809.html

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45283

barnfinder,

i'm SORRY for your financial misfortune. (been there, done that, did NOT have a good time!)

doggone PURTY boat. = wishing that i wasn't about 2,000 miles away.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45284

I have regretted selling everything of value I ever sold. I never got out of it what I put into it and always found myself saying "I wish I still had..." And in the long run the small financial gain didn't make that big of a difference.

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45293

If I could find a place to put it...... Even at that price, it is a good deal. Probably spend time this weekend trying to justify it.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45333

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks all for your concerns and though I really wish I could keep it, I have gotten tough skin finding, restoring, and selling some nice old boats. My theory is that I will again continue to find them again. Though to be honest maybe not quite like this one.

But in any case...update: I spent the last 4 hours tearing the carb of and cleaning and reinstalling and tweaking and she is purring nicely. Had a pile of gunk in the bowl and some orafices which surprised me it was running at all. Proves I guess, how good these old motors are and particularly how good the compression is in this beast to pull the fuel thru the reed valves with all that guck in it.

Even found a windshield today that I believe will work.

Have a great weekend all.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45345

• Todd
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Hi Tim,

I honestly feel for you, having been in your shoes already. If I wouldn't end up sleeping in your beautiful boat, I would be in the truck coming to get it tomorrow. The lines are wonderful and we can all tell you take great care of your things. Not many people would even be looking at a boat they are selling but you're still caring for yours by working on the carbs. Says a lot about the man behind the boat.

I called a few friends today and put out the word about the great deal you have going on your boat. Hopefully someone will bite on that line and help you out.

Sometime in the future you will own another old boat. She's just out there waiting her turn to be your girl and get the care she deserves from you.

Good luck!

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45349

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks so much for your kind words and concern(and word spreading) Todd.

If there is anything that makes this easier it is that I do have a boat I found a couple of years ago and have not had the time to work on, but it is a TRUE keeper and will be the last thing I sell in need I assure you.

This is a true original from stem to stearn and doesn't really need much to restore:

AS I found her in a barn...before bath:

After a bath:

Don't know what it is yet but she is a beauty:

Attachments:

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45366

tim, for those unforseen big expenses i would think the woodie would bring in more money than the CustomCraft. ron

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45369

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Ron,

There is no doubt my beautiful mahogany "Orphan" is a lot more valuable than the Custom Craft, but as I mentioned, it is the only boat of the dozens I have owned in the last few years that I consider a keeper. At least until the next keeper comes along :-)

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45381

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Whoa, love the woodie! What is it, I have to know more about it.

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45393

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..T.; Isnt the wood speedster a YELLOW JACKET.?? They just had a
invitational show last weekend,, ACBS at Quincy , Ill .
Brian Lawson would know.. . Sounds like another Mag article coming... ? AD LINK Roy Rodgers would know for sure.!!
www.fiberglassics.com/library/File:Yellowjacketb57001.jpg

After this ad , with Similar TRAILER (?) I would call it a Special 17 ft " YELLOW JACKET ". !!!!! www.oldride.com/boats/605985.html

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45398

wow....looks like that was a "diamond in the rough" find. that would pay a lot of unforseen and forseen expenses. lol

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45406

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
Dave/all,

Ever since I found this in a horse barn a year ago this past April I have been trying to figure out what it is. The guy bought the farm a year before and got no paperwork with it (it was just listed as included in mortgage agreement.

I have searched and searched and sent pictures to many of the wooden boat people/forums etc but have yet to identify the manufacturer.(Hence my naming it the "orphan". I thought I had it nailed down as a Century Imperial Sportsman. It seemed identical with the bullnose breakwater in front and the dual cockpits with the wrap around vinyl tube trim etc but the president of the Century owners club said that they never sold a molded mahogany ply boat. Yellow Jacket is close but there are differences. I am recently leaning towards maybe a Delta(who had a Hollywood model).

I have read that company's in the 50's like Molded Industries would make the ply hulls and send them to other companies to finish the decks and seats etc. Net-net I may never know but it is one of the coolest looking little mahogany sport boats I have seen. It is barely over 15' long and was totally original from stem to stern. Including the original Merc Mark 55E with two original tanks in the well(one a 12 gallon cruising tank that I have not seen for sale anywhere). It has rope/wire cable stearing(as in what looks like rope but has wire inside) and even had a pair of Wagemaker wooden skis(and no it is not a Wagemaker Wolverine btw) and a tow rope and wooden handle that was hemp or something.

Needs very little to restore...new varnish on the decks and new vinyl on the tube coping surrounding the front and back cockpits. Oh that and the motor..... I was working on it and had it(new impeller, new points and condensors etc.) and had it sparking and just as it began to fire and cough the starter went. It is a very unique and strange starter that I am having a hell of a time replacing etc...not that I tried much since last summer.

To Split who suggested Yellow Jacket: That link for the rare 17' is obviously larger than mine and quite different with the Mark 78 and covered stern but 35K? Come on. Its nice but???
I was in contact with a Yellow Jacket guy who told me he found the boat SN up under the deck on a metal tab tacked to the stem. I immediately went out and wrangled myself up under there and sure enough I did find a half of an aluminum tag tacked into into the stem with 3 digits(cant remember what they were) but the best part was that in a little pile of dirt laying there after my power wash I found the missing key for the ignition....it was a good day. Maybe I will continue on the Yellow Jacket hunt as well. Thx.

In any case I fully intend on having it restored next spring for sure to have it back in the water where it belongs and for sure show it off at some local boat shows.

I have a ton more pics on Photobucket if anyone is interested in seeing it more closely...dirty and clean.

Take care.

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45409

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
..T..: In your one year search ,what has the supervisor at the Dept Of Motor Vehicles told you about NY 3779 AW .?? I lived in Troy, New YOrk & we all have heard the stories of Frank A in Albany.
.Have you gone in to the office with this Mortgage certificate &
gottten a Lost title. ? Do they offer you a "LAST KNown Owner Address".? Like in Florida where they tell you to write to JIM Smith , on 4th ave in Utica . & have him (IF still alive) apply for Lost Title.

. I guess being wood if you scrape off the reg # can always get a 2012 Home Built.. That 17 ft ad said Pro rebuild, "Can always ADD or extend the rear deck compartment. (Not original ) , I had a 1956 Aristo -Craft out of Scnectady & prior owner slightly enclosed in the rear compartment with al little more deck .... We have a custom
Glasspar G-3 Eric out of Ill, that totally enclosed the rear opening, making it different that the mfg brochure, BUT does not change the Builder of the boat.

A Clue you found part of a serial # in a certian place is a Strong Lead.. Just like your Custom Craft (Which I owned one) Upside down on Inside of right transom Cap .!! Dont know of another mfg that used that location. !Sure I am interested in your photo bucket LINK , If you mesage me here via profile.
PS ..Have you submitted a ID Request to the Clayton Museum ,, or ask ChineWalker help there. I think www.abm.org is the link , & they have link for ID request.. May take a few days , if off season , BUT they have biggest Library research, because of the Judging for their Aug show.. I would ADD this in your Documentaion package, What ever they agree or disprove, if you enter a ACBS show.

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45444

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Barnfinder, I would love to see the boat in your Photobucket. Please send me a link to get there or send them to me at my email address. Transom details may help. I am a very avid molded plywood fan. This past winter I redid a Wolverine and I LOVE it. I also have some, not allot, but some molded plywood info that "may" give us a clue...maybe.

Re:I Am SOOO Bummed...The '57 Custom Craft Has To Go 13 years 1 week ago #45465

• barnfinder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
I decided it best to move this discussion(on maybe determining the manufacturer of my "Orphan" over to the Wood Boat Forum and will provide a link to all the pics I have online.

Follow it here:> www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/5--wood-boats-/45547-name-this-beautiful-orphan-round-two.html#45547

Tim

Tim
\"Barnfinder\"

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6336 guests and one member online