Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Hey everyone, look what I found!!

Hey everyone, look what I found!! 14 years 5 months ago #4376

Fiberglassicers,
I just had my father-in-law pull up to my house the other night with this on the trailer! It was my grandfather-in-law's who just passed away within the last year and it has been given to me.

But where do I start? I wasn't raised around boating, lakes, the ocean or anything nautical so I'm unaware of what it would take to get these things fixed or what I should do.

Read on if you wish and please give me some advice! If you have any questions I hope I can answer them.

The boat is a 1967 Glasspar "Avalon" in great shape with some repairs needed. It has a 197? Johnson 115 motor sitting inside the boat that doesn't run, and it's on a pretty rusty trailer. I'll have titles for both boat and trailer soon.

What do you guys think? Where do I start? Any info on values of each item would be helpful to know if I should have them fixed/keep/trade-in or whatever. I don't have any idea on cost to fix any of these and if it's worth it. I'm not sure if a new hobby is something I'm willing to pick up this summer if you know what I mean?

I have more pics but where do I post them?

Thanks for any info I appreciate it!!

Sincerely,
Shawn
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Hey everyone, look what I found!! 14 years 5 months ago #4377

another picture...
Attachments:

Re:Hey everyone, look what I found!! 14 years 5 months ago #4378

Motor picture
Attachments:

Re:Hey everyone, look what I found!! 14 years 5 months ago #4379

inside boat
Attachments:

Re:Hey everyone, look what I found!! 14 years 5 months ago #4380

Boat dashboard, with fish finder!
Attachments:

Re:Hey everyone, look what I found!! 14 years 5 months ago #4385

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Shawn: Good deal , CONGRATS. Hearing that it was passed down thru family, you should make a attempt to use the hull .
.. Good news it that a Glaspar Chapter was formed last year in your area , the Delmar - Del , MD, Va chapter. . If the trailer rust is just surface cosmetic , I would scrape & apply rust proof paint, If the back support frame is rusted thru , look for another trailer. . The big motor should be mid 70's era (?). maybe a tad too big for the hull. Could look or barder for a 70hp mid range as a possibility .
. The swivel seats seem to be a fisherman add on , not very classic. A good size for 2 or 3 people. if larger family , you may need a 17 ft Sunliner -Glasspar or so & then the 115 hp would match that hull .? Just comments, but again congrats, Glasspars are fun.

not much response? 14 years 5 months ago #4491

I wrote a message to the forum admin asking about the best way to post info on this boat that I just inherited and someone actually called me in response and told me about where to post and how to post it. He said I would surely get a good response from the guys on the forum, and that he would respond to my post once he saw it posted. I gave him my name and boat type but not only did no one from the forum really respond besides Split, but the guy that called didn't respond either. Is there something wrong with my post that I can't see from my side? Just wondering.

Sincerely,
Shawn

Re:Hey everyone, look what I found!! 14 years 5 months ago #4492

Sorry you haven't got many responses Shawn, but value questions are always difficult. If you look around this forum at other folks who have posted similar situations, you could gain a good amount of info. Probably one of the reasons you're not getting many responses is because a lot of folks don't want to keep typing the same stuff over and over.

Is the floor solid? How about the transom? If you knock against the transom with the handle of a good sized screwdriver, does it sound like oak, or does it sound hollow and feel soft? Most the time, old boats need floors and transoms rebuilt, and this is not a job for the faint of heart. Do you have any experience with fiberglass?

I don't think what you have there is rare enough to be valuable. The motor may have some value if it runs, but if it's got bad compression, there's not much use fixing it unless the boat is ready for it to be installed, and you're determined to run it. Motors can generally always be fixed, just like old boats, but it can take a lot of time and/or money particularly if you have limited experience.

Best of luck to you!

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 7510 guests and no members online