• Page:

TOPIC: Irene + Lee: Two near misses

Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43754

• jim bart
  • jim bart's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Here in N.E. PA, the Susquehanna had been threatening.. finally has crested, we are all safe. Evacuated my girlfriend, shes staying with me now. Just wanted to share some photos.

With so much rain, our local lake was out of its banks, there is one inlet, one outlet, and lake level rarely varies with in a few inches. These docks are normally a good foot to 18" out of the water:

And while I'm adding, here is what Irene left in the backyard:

A tree leaning over my glassic:

this clump of oaks just missed a trailer (valuable oak there!)
And some of the flooding near my business: [way too close !]

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43755

The football field at my old high school was underwater. Union Endicott, Class of 1987...
Attachments:

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43756

You're a lucky guy Jim. We got flooded out twice, but it's just the lower level of our raised ranch, garage, shop and storage. Everything is up off the floors in there. One good thing came out of Irene - we ordered a 7500W portable generator that surges to 9375W. Been needing one for a while. We were out 3 days because of Irene. Everybody's out of stock, so we're waiting on the factory (Generac). Should have it by the end of the month.

Your glassic was lucky. Mine too. Big maple split and came down and could have hit the boat and house, but went the other way.

Frank

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43757

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Good report guys.. Had been watching news reports & web pics from
Poughkeepsie & Troy NY as we grew up in that Catskill ski region, that took hard hit on swollen creeks.

. Our Chattanooga TV news had a lake / river front mega mansion
report that lost all back yard & gazeebo's / dock from a sloping mud slide effect..!! Very expensive sink hole result... like something from Mexico storms.

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43758

man i feel for you guys,i have been through a major flood before.
bob"water wings" is passing through my area and is due to stop in for a visit,i hope he doesnt encounter any high water on the way,its bad enough the poor guy got rear ended on the beltway this morning,so hes running a little later.
i cant wait to meet him,he seems like one heck of a guy.
my thoughts are with everyone who is dealing with the flooding,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43764

This was taken during Irene about 1/2 mile from my house
Attachments:

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43765

Look on the bright side Todd, ya got power back! :)

Frank

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43769

The Barge Canal and Mohawk River system locks are damaged. Sounds like boats are stranded where they are. Can't get to the Great Lakes and can't get out to the Hudson. The Mohawk still looks like Hershey's syrup with chunks. Ugly, ugly stuff. Crossed the Hudson at Beacon Monday and the river is sh%% brown with lots of debris floating. No way would I put a boat in the water.

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43774

That looks like a little drizzle to me. Come hang out down here for awile :) Glad everybody survived and no boats ruined!!!

Bob, Did you flop out of the truck and call for air life?????

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43962

Made it home in one piece. I think I recognize that down tree, looks just like the one in my back yard. Still have to cut it up and repair the chain link fence it decided to squash. I'm glad everyone is OK.

Joe, I should have but didn't. I did make sure I called the Police since the girl lived in the area and knows what Beltway traffic is like yet still failed to brake in time so she gets the ticket and I get to have my truck fixed on her insurance company's dime.

John,
Thanks for inviting me into your lovely home and I truly enjoyed meeting you and your lovely wife, I'm really sorry I couldn't stop back by on the way back buddy.

Bob

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #43975

Boy Bob, I just finished cutting up the big maple that fell during Irene, the one that missed my Power Cat, and cleaning up the mess it left. Left about 20' in 3 pieces of the very bottom just because I was too lazy to change my saw blade at 4 yesterday. Got a lot more done, moved seasoned wood to the front of the house, cut an old dead maple down out back and cut it to size, but it wasn't as big as the one that fell. That's next year's firewood. Helped a neighbor put new blades on his lawn tractor. And found out my new Generac 7500W generator ships a week from today! All in all, a good day.

What happened to your truck?

Frank

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #44002

Frank,
Turned out to be a contest between my full sized GMC Sierra and her Toyota Rav4, you can guess who won! :woohoo: On the DC beltway, stop and go traffic, raining and she waited to the last minute to hit her brakes and bang right into my rear bumper, she lost. Pushed in my bumper a little, which pushed in the rear quarter just enough to where I can't open the tailgate. Got it appraised my her Allstate guy, $1,494 in damage to me. Should be fixed next week I hope.

Bob

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #44061

Bottom line bob, long as you and nobody else got hurt, ya can usually fix cars and trucks. Hope yours comes out good and soon.

Frank

Re:Irene + Lee: Two near misses 13 years 3 weeks ago #44074

Your right Frank and thanks.

Bob

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6019 guests and no members online