Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: new member looking for feedback on epoxy sealers

new member looking for feedback on epoxy sealers 13 years 3 weeks ago #43750

Hello
N ew member working on a 1965 Wards Sea King 50 hp trio (boat,motor, trailer). I am prepping for paint and wanted some advice on an epoxy sealer like Coat-it or Gluvit. Have any of you put either on a fiberglass hull (below/above water line)? Does it roll on very well? Can you apply without flipping her over?
Thanks for any insight.
Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: new member looking for feedback on epoxy sealers 13 years 3 weeks ago #43781

You might want to look at yachtpaint.com for some good guides on painting above and below the waterline.

I think with runabouts that don't stay in the water for long an epoxy isn't needed but wouldn't hurt. Having said that, you will need to find the right paint to cover an epoxy with.

Hello, World!!

Re: new member looking for feedback on epoxy sealers 13 years 3 weeks ago #43817

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I used U-Tech epoxy primer on my trailer that has since been top coated with polyurethane paint. Granted the primer was painted on bare metal and not fiberglass. Someone with better knowledge may say yea or nay about the fiberglass. I'm not sure. The unthinned primer sprayed on real well and filled a certain amount of small cracks. I would definitely recommend spraying over brushing or rolling. Again, someone else may have better ideas about it than me. Good luck.
Attachments:

Re: new member looking for feedback on epoxy sealers 13 years 3 weeks ago #43834

Ok I think you identified my other question on using a sealer to seal up any cracks that may appear in glass this old and probably abused over time? Since I was sanding to paint and making minor repairs wondered if it is worth it and or beneficial. I see it used a lot on aluminum boats, label says works on fiberglass the same?

Re: new member looking for feedback on epoxy sealers 13 years 3 weeks ago #43846

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Phillipcinci, Welcome aboard. The Herters I am rebuilding had a bad surface topside, glass cloth showing through and a lot of "spider" cracks, the ones that appear on old glass. I used a high build primer that I got at a local auto paint dealer. A two parter. It's really thick and once you mix it with the activator the pot life is short. It builds up really heavy and fills cracks, splits, glass cloth show throughs and even bad patching like I do. It's like a liquid Bondo. Once on you can sand it with 220 grit to a smooth surface and all inperfections are gone. It sands really easy and if you're not careful you'll go right back down to your original finish. When you have it finish sanded you can squirt your finish coat without any other prep.
Here is the product I used.

You can roll it on with a cheap 3" roller and then toss it when finished, takes about an hour or two before you can sand.

Here is my topside after the rolling and sanding.
Here is what a finish looks like over that primer.

Keep us posted on your project. Best of luck.
Cal
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.177 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5998 guests and no members online