Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1970 Johnson 60 HP Mount

1970 Johnson 60 HP Mount 13 years 4 weeks ago #43589

Up until now I have only had boats that required a simple clamp mount to mount a low power outboard to the transom... I just finished renovating a 1959 Barbour and want to use a 1970 60 HP Johnson for power. The motor came with 2 mounting brackets. I mounted the motor on the brackets, and it is currently hanging on the transom, but is there supposed to be 2 through transom bolts that connect the actual motor to the transom? Right now it is hanging there only connected to the mounts, which are connected to the transom...makes me a bit nervous!
Thanks, Tom

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1970 Johnson 60 HP Mount 13 years 4 weeks ago #43590

Many don't bolt through the transom but I sure do. Pics might help. Are the clamps tight and is the transom sound and solid? Make sure the wood is good. I remember a local guy telling me how a friend of his lost an outboard on a local lake because the clamps were not tight enough. Guess he had his hand on the tiller turning at speed when it went.

Re:1970 Johnson 60 HP Mount 13 years 4 weeks ago #43592

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
I believe the factory breakdown shows four mounting bolts for that motor Tom;
shop2.evinrude.com/Index.aspx?s1=d9sfr9eqgs817v38eerqje3fh0&catalog_id=0&siteid=1
Change from Evinrude to Johnson at the top, select year, horsepower and model specific info, the mounting is listed under "exhaust cover" on that one.

I agree with Rob't, I'd bolt that joker down for sure!

PS - I'm sure you know this, but you want to make sure you seal those bolt holes well with 4200, 5200, boat life caulk, resin, or something to prevent water intrusion into the transom. ;)

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.160 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5790 guests and no members online