Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: POINTS FOR OLD MERC

POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4321

Does anybody know where I can purchase points for 1965 mercury 1000(outboard). East Coast marine has them
BUT
they are $100 a pc. OEM number for points are 1504A5. Or should I just clean em up with clocus cloth a little and reset the dwell? Thanx--Anyone..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4322

Yes they are expensive
I have 3 of the MERC 1000 models at this time , a 63 / 64 / and a 65.
I found 4 sets of NOS points in my storage shed 2 weeks ago.
Examine the points you have and likely with a clean-up they will work just fine.Save your money for a waterpump impeller and lower unit seals ETC, ETC.

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4329

Chances are Eastcoast were selling you used, ( cleaned up) points anyway. Not cutting them down good people but I do not believe they sell new points anymore for these motors. Do your self a favor make sure you replace the wiring in the point plate housing, condensors are also a good idea.
Darrell

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4330

ClassicMerc wrote:

Chances are Eastcoast were selling you used, ( cleaned up) points anyway. Not cutting them down good people but I do not believe they sell new points anymore for these motors. Do your self a favor make sure you replace the wiring in the point plate housing, condensors are also a good idea.
Darrell

Don't know why you would make such a statement! I've been dealing with them for ages, bought several sets of points ( some rescently ) from them and never had any problems. I have an intimate relationship with these motors and have been a Master technician for years. Grew up with points and condensors. I would know a "used" set of points at just a quick glance..........never got one from them!!

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4334

gary ,ill bet tim calms has them,his nickname is merkmaster,he has ashop full of old and nos merk parts,ask dave albertson"cc1000" he lives close by and so does huston,they will know how to get in touch with tim.

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re: POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4336

I agree. Just a little lite clean job should work. I haven't seen the points yet. I'm just getting tuned up for the summer. She actually runs fine right now. Starts a little hard in the morning. Probabley been sometime for the points I'm guessing. I know when they close up the dwell changes though. Kindof like to keep the motor for awhile. Thanx.........

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4337

Thanx John. I'll keep that in mind for future references. Might even need a part someday. Never know.

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4364

gary try this link im pretty sure your motor point is listed,john www.laingsoutboards.com/literature.htm just click on new parts at the top of the page.heres a better link its their home page,john www.laingsoutboards.com/

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 14 years 5 months ago #4384

Like I said in my post I was not cutting down Eastcoast, I also have been dealing with them since Bob Grubb Days. But the last time I checked when you look up the points for these motors in there listings they list them as either used or re-built I don't remember which. This was before they did there web sight change also, so sorry if it does not say that anymore. I am not one that cuts down others in a forum like this, or in general talk, I was just trying to say you most likley can re-store them your self instead of buying them already re-stored.
Darrell

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 8 years 8 months ago #119309

you will find them NOS on ebay often and i think Mercury is making this part again ? 393-1504

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 8 years 8 months ago #119336

Re:POINTS FOR OLD MERC 8 years 8 months ago #119351

And,...I have a 'few dozen' uninspected used dual point distributors that I would rob points out of and peddle to you dirt cheap if you find your points are no longer able to be polished up.
Or,...Most any other used parts for the 12vdc dual coil - dual point systems.
They usually provide very good service once properly set up and never get a full 12vdc hay-wired through them.
If you don't have access to the correct dwell wheel and pointer set-up, you can set both sets of points to .0065" and end up with a pretty happy beast.

Glad to see Darrell and Jim S posting! Been a long time since I've spotted posts from you guys.
Got any pictures of current or recent projects?
Both of you guys do amazing work and I love to see pictures of your finely detailed restorations.

Tim Calmes in Perry, NY is a great resource as mentioned.

I can locate and post pictures of how I fully disassemble and polish points to a mirror finish if requested. I've posted the procedure in the past too.

"foothill-gary" wrote, "Starts a little hard in the morning."
One thing to check in trouble-shooting this symptom is whether or not the choke butterflies are held close to the front of the carburetor when closed. If the pivot is loose, you may need to snug it up a bit.
doc

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online