Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Transom pad ideas? (finished-pics added)

Transom pad ideas? (finished-pics added) 13 years 1 month ago #43161

• tey1967
  • tey1967's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I would like a transom pad for the rear of my fireflite. Anyone else make one? Is it fastened with screws? Glue? Pressure from motor? Thanks!

Got it finished today! Had a lid off an old milk bulk tank. For you non farm educated a bulk tank. It is 1/16 stainless.
Please excuse fingerprints lol.

Only took about 2 hrs. I used an air cut off tool and a heavy sheet metal brake. It wraps around to the forward side of the transom. Boy do i ever feel better having it on. Now to make the top cap for the rest of the transom. My ss was not large enough for the entire 36" to integrate it with the pad.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43166

here is one i made from a sheet of 1/8 inch stainless steel,i sanded it with 80 grit to give it a satin finish,then did a little engraving on it,its held on with stainless bolts,john these pics were before the motor mount bolts were put in.
here it is with the motor mount bolts and the upper bolts through the splaswell. opps the splashwell bolts arent in it yet in the pic,there is also a 1 inch hole and brass transom tube through it.
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43171

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
We have 16ga. Stainless Transom Plates available for either 1 3/4 or 2 inch transoms. $95 + shipping @ cost. They are un-drilled We use stainless screws bedded in 5200 to attach to the transom.

Larry

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Attachments:

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43173

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Attachments:

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43174

• Larry
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Attachments:

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43187

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
john_gibson wrote:

here is one i made from a sheet of 1/8 inch stainless steel,i sanded it with 80 grit to give it a satin finish,then did a little engraving on it,its held on with stainless bolts,john

these pics were before the motor mount bolts were put in.
here it is with the motor mount bolts and the upper bolts through the splaswell. opps the splashwell bolts arent in it yet in the pic,there is also a 1 inch hole and brass transom tube through it.

Everytime I see your boat I like it more John .Its the little things you do that really add to it and make it yours .The rear end reminds me of my Dads first car I can remember .. a 1955 Pontiac Cheiften ..
Larry

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43200

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ok, thanks for the ideas! I fab a ss plate that wraps the top of the transom, missing both the splash well drain holes and the main drain. It will give me a place to put my new hull id numbers too. John, love the decal telling make model and year!

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43201

thanks bobo,i cant wait to get going on one of my boats,lol.
thanks tey,its easier then telling all the folks that ask what it is,especially at shows.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43211

I made mine from 1/8" sheet aluminum plus 3/4" piece on the opposite side to thicken it and raise the transome edge to 20".

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43238

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Those pads look teriffic, wish I had the tools to bend things like that. Anyone know where someone can obtain sheet aluminum for the transom pad or is it better with SS. Sooner or later I will need something for my Herters.
John, any progress with your nephews boat?

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43241

I purchased my aluminum sheets off ebay. I was looking around ebay the other day for a piece of polished SS for a dash gauge plate. I found this seller he also cuts custom sizes. I may have him cut me a piece for my dash plate.
cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649&item=280480881924&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43260

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I like the Aluminum and SS look but for my boat the Ply look was more appropriate. Its how it was when I got it so I stayed that way.
Attachments:

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43268

I made a matched pair from galvanized metal from the top of my MIL GE oven I replaced Memorial Day weekend. Nice flat sheet I had to remove to get to the wiring harness to remove the oven from the wall. They came out great. Attached to the Power Cat 18DC with screws. Really saves the glass both inside and out.

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43274

we got our stainless sheet at a metal scrap yard,30 buck for a 2by 2 foot sheet,we also used it inside the transom.
cal,nope he hasnt been around,and now hes in school.looks ike im going to have to finish the boat for him.
sorry about the hijack tey.

---Mark Twain

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43276

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Just got done fabbing up a sheet of 1/16 stainless into a pad. It wraps the top of the transom. Now to sand the edges and the satin finish John suggested. Pics to come later.

Re:Transom pad ideas? 13 years 1 month ago #43290

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Thank you all!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5754 guests and no members online