• Page:

TOPIC: lifting boat off trailer

lifting boat off trailer 13 years 1 month ago #42931

• FANTM58
  • FANTM58's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I want to lift my boat up off my trailer, so I can remove and rebuild the trailer. I was thinking about some type of wood platform,Jacking up trailer,supporting boat them dropping trailer etc.I need to keep the bottom of the boat clear so as to repair a small crack and repaint up to the outter most rib. any ideas ??
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 1 month ago #42935

Here is what I made to pick up my boats
It made of 2in pipe mine was welded but if you can get the pipe threded you can use elbos and tee's plus 2 winchs and some cabel and straps to go under the boat.You put 2 pullys at top corner above the winch and 1 pully at the top of the othr corner. And 2 cabels coming out of the winch 1 going up to 1 pully and the other going over to the other pully. you have to make the cables so each on comes down to the same hight. you have to make 2 of these one for the front of the boat and one for the back. You ran a strap under the front and one under the back.
I will have to go out and take some pix so you can see and will get them posted
Mike aka the pirate
PS
If you maKe it with Elbos and tee's you can take it apart and store easier

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 1 month ago #42936

I use an engine crane and a A frame swing stand. I have used my garage rafters before I sold it. I pick the back of the boat up and slowly drive forward leaving the boat go on the rollers until the trailer wheels can clear the engine crane, then I lift the front with that. You could do it in reverse to put back on or use the A frame in front also. In the one pic I have something under the bow to use the crane to lift something else.
Attachments:

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 1 month ago #42951

Here is what I did.
Attachments:

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 1 month ago #42952

Here's mine its sitting on it right now. You could make the front stand wider to pull the trailer out. I initially did but didn't have a spot to keep the trailer so I narrowed it and just kept the trailer under there for now. I could still get the trailer out by pulling it out the side.

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 1 month ago #42953

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I just fixed and painted mine. I would have to say a flip is in order to have everything go well. I actually tipped mine up on its side myself and put a 2x4 under one of the fireflite waterline. I was able to sand half of it then I flipped it the other way in the grass. To paint I put it on an old trailer I put a wood bunk on long ago. It took 4 guys to do that. worked pretty good though!
Attachments:

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 1 month ago #43005

here is a rolling boat rack i built ,it has 10 inch wheels on on it,i have a very small garage and this allows me to move it out when i need the garage for something else,plus i can push the boat anywhere i want ,like over to the house where i can use the power washer.its not high of the ground,so i can get in and out easy.
as for the bottom side of the boat i will flip it over,john
Attachments:

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #44981

• FANTM58
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks for all the great info.Heres what I did,first I jacked up the boat and trailer about 4".Then built this wooden cradle under it,lowered the trailer,and the rear of the boat was free of the trailer.then I used a couple of racket straps around the front tied to my garage door frame, lifted it up and pulled the trailer out.The simply supported the front.
Attachments:

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #44993

That did it.

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #44998

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Looks like you did a good job, Fantm! How long are you planning on leaving it on the stands?

Mark

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #44999

You might want to consider something to support that weight over more area if it will be awhile. Good point.

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #45025

i thought the same thing nice setup,but be careful the carjack stands in the front dont slip out sideways,maybe carefully rachet strap them together so they cant go sideways,just a thought,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #45037

I would strap those 2 jack stands together so they can't pull apart. Seems a little shaking might slip off that edge.

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #45058

• FANTM58
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Good point guys,, thanks for looking out for the new guy !!
A couple of weeks is all it will be supported like that,waiting to re finish the trailer.the jack stands are pretty stable, they have a lip on the base that is resting in the rib,,,but I will strap them together tonite...

Re:lifting boat off trailer 13 years 2 weeks ago #45067

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Less than a month shouldn't be a problem, but for extended use I'd say build a bow stand similar to the one in the rear, and connect the two with some rails/bolsters to help support and steady.

One of the best things about this place is the "collective thought process", and the generosity of the other folks here helping each other out. Plus, it's almost as much fun as doing it yourself! :P

Mark
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.236 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6348 guests and one member online