• Page:

TOPIC: "Practice Boat" ?

"Practice Boat" ? 13 years 1 month ago #42872

• G3Ben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all,
I have a 1961 Glasspar G-3 that I've been running for the last couple of summers. it has not been rebuilt, as it is in totally original condition. However, there are a number of spidercracks throughout the gelcoat and I've noticed two weak spots in the hull. I would like to do a total resto myself, but I have no hands on experience. The boat has a great deal of sentimental value so I would hate to "mess up".
I was thinking that maybe I could find another old glassic that is in a severe condition. Then I would restore that, learning as I go through the process. And if I do "mess up" it won't be the end of the world and i won't do the same thing wrong twice!
The "practice boat" would ideally be a small, 50s or 60s glassic.
Any suggestions on what boats to start looking for locally and on craigslist/ebay?
Thanks!
-Ben
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: "Practice Boat" ? 13 years 1 month ago #42895

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sweet boat. I dont think you need to practice. I am sure you can research techniques and figure it out. I think paint is the toughest thing. Anyone can fiberglass. Just take time to plan ahead. You will be suprised how easy, how much it costs, and how much time it consumes. YOU CAN DO IT!

Re: "Practice Boat" ? 13 years 1 month ago #42900

Ben,

Tey1967 is right, the hardest part is the finish (filler, sanding, primer, sanding, paint, wet sanding, buffing). The fiberglass work is hard to screw up, if you do, you can take the angle grinder with the sanding wheel, take out what you screw up and do it over and over again until you get it right. Restoring a boat isnt cheap in money and time, I would suggest you roll up your sleeves and just go for the G3. Just take the time to think each step through and you will be fine. As you know, the guys here will help you whenever you ask.

Heh... no guts, no glory! Go for it.

Dean
Attachments:

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:"Practice Boat" ? 13 years 1 month ago #42901

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I 2nd that . Just jump on in with the G3 .You have tons of Info on here and Many people that will help you along your way here ..If ya goof something up you can always fix that to short of starting it on fire ..The G3 is a smaller boat to so thats working for you .So just Go for it . Dont fear the Reaper ..
Larry

Re:"Practice Boat" ? 13 years 1 month ago #42908

you could always drag it down to florida and have the gang do it on a 3 day weekend...... Brian,patric shanahan, etc. Hope they dont mind me giving up their weekend!!

Re:"Practice Boat" ? 13 years 1 month ago #43039

• G3Ben
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for your opinions, I guess I'll just go for it! Now I just need to make it through the first quarter of school, then I'll get to work!
-Ben

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.180 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5849 guests and no members online