Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: '65 Merc 1000 - High Voltage Output

'65 Merc 1000 - High Voltage Output 13 years 1 month ago #42852

When I got this motor the voltmeter read fine. I had to replace the battery and since then the meter pegs out when running at WOT. I've read that newer "maintenance free" batteries don't absorb excess voltage from older unregulated motors.

Anyone have experience with this issue? Am I at risk of frying things? Would installing an external regulator solve the issue? (If that's possible)

I've also read that simply running with all lights on may absorb the excess voltage, but I haven't tried this yet. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:'65 Merc 1000 - High Voltage Output 13 years 1 month ago #42855

I had a similar problem with my '63 1000. It killed my battery once after running WOT a while. I removed the rectifier and installed an early merc voltage regulator. Not appropriate maybe if you want to keep your classic motor classic, but I've added PT&T and hydraulic steering (and they said it couldn't be done...). I love my classic motor, but I don't mind updating it when I can!

Frank

Re:'65 Merc 1000 - High Voltage Output 13 years 1 month ago #42856

anything to make it safer and user friendly i say. my non-original console and new mercontrol would make the judges cringe, but i don't plan on being judged anymore at shows. i've had my time in the limelite..so to say. ron

Re:'65 Merc 1000 - High Voltage Output 13 years 1 month ago #42859

PC1000 wrote:

I had a similar problem with my '63 1000. It killed my battery once after running WOT a while. I removed the rectifier and installed an early merc voltage regulator. Not appropriate maybe if you want to keep your classic motor classic, but I've added PT&T and hydraulic steering (and they said it couldn't be done...). I love my classic motor, but I don't mind updating it when I can!

Frank

Thanks Frank! Would you happen to still have specific info about what you took out and what you replaced it with? Part numbers or descriptions and maybe even a schematic?

Kind of a noob when it comes to motor work, but I do know I need to get a service manual for the old beast!

Re:'65 Merc 1000 - High Voltage Output 13 years 1 month ago #42864

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Randy has a good thread going in the Merc Outpost right now on this subject, Gary;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/17-mercury-outpost/42799-things-to-know-about-your-charging-and-ignition.html#42858

And here's the link to the thread where Frank put one on his Merc, with part numbers and wiring instruction, I believe;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/17-mercury-outpost/19022-new-voltage-regulator-for-my-63-merc1000.html#19022

Mark

Re:'65 Merc 1000 - High Voltage Output 13 years 1 month ago #43096

So, from this site and others I'm coming to the conclusion that the best and easiest thing to do is go back to an old style lead/acid battery. The motor has run well that way since '65, why fix what ain't broke?

My question now is, what specs do I want for the next battery? CCA numbers or whatever, what's recommended?

Thanks!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.170 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5788 guests and no members online