Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: 1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton

1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 13 years 1 month ago #42801

Alright,

I will be taking ownership of a 1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton with a tilt traler in a week or so and wanted any input a to what I shoud be looking at to get it lake worthy.

The boat is actually in really great shape with all the peices (at least as far as i can tell) intact. THe Original 80 hp motor is in running condition but I have been told the carbs need adjustment.

I picked the boat and traler up for 500.00 I figure a good deal. Any help in this endevor would be appreciated. I would like to restore it to as close to factory as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 13 years 1 month ago #42803

• tey1967
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Just make sure it steers and the motor runs. Make sure the gas tanks a free of rust if its metal. Get a new deep cycle battery.

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 13 years 1 month ago #42805

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..L.: WELCOME, CONGRATS on the boat. I see in the Library section it is a 17 foot model, Front facing rear seats.. Back in 1960 if orig
motor , one assume 6 cyl Mercury..?
.. Fuel carbs adjust, could be a common term to inspect the entire fuel system... Like the comment above , any rust in existing tanks.
OLD hard squeeze bulb.? Initially I would use a previous working tank & squeeze line bulb.. If then rpms are not smooth , there may be dried dirt (Varnish) in the carb bowls, nozzled jets. .Second the fuel pump diaphram is most likely hard after sitting yers. (Thin fabric membrane should be SOFT & flexible , Not like shoe leather )

Let us know & post some pictures..so we can see the color & interior.

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 13 years 1 month ago #42881

Well untill I can find room in my garage its sitting in the owners garage under a pile of everyting. I hope to have it unburried soon. As to the seats I think the 15 foot had the 2 rear facing seats where my 17 has the foward facing bench in the rear.

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 13 years 3 weeks ago #43862

Boat in the garage cant wait to start the resto! Other than a little interior workj she is in fantastic shape. Need as far as i can tell the navagation post in the rear (anyt one know where i can find a NOS replacment?) and the rubber straps for the seats as well need replacing any suggestions?
Attachments:

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 13 years 3 weeks ago #43863

• bhamrick
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Sweet looking little boat ! That windshield is probably worth what you paid for the boat , It looks like the original auto glass windshield ? Nice color looks like it will buff up like new. Good luck with the project like everybody says maybe get a new fuel tank and burn new gas , cool looking fenders on that trailer also.
Attachments:

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 13 years 3 weeks ago #43865

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Gee whiz Lurch, has that boat been restored, or stored in a time capsule!?!?! Beautiful boat man, excellent buy IMHO. It doesn't appear to need a restoration, just a good going over and "freshening up" and you could be back out on the water. As the gang has suggested, old rubber fuel line parts and water pump impellers are trouble waiting to happen. Good luck, and let us see some more pics when you get a chance. ;)

Mark

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 12 years 2 months ago #64174

Ok,

It’s been a while since my last post, the boat has been sitting on the back burner as we have moved to a new home and I’m tired of looking at in its current condition.
So Yesterday i pulled out the seats and cleaned up the rat turds and measured for carpet. For the seats I took measurements for the upholstery.
For the motor can anyone suggest where the heck I can find the hose kit I’m at a loss for this 75 hp motor and no one in Sacramento will even touch it to do any service. Am I better off replacing the motor with a more “current” model ? I don’t want to as I like the way it looks hanging off the back side and it keeps it original…
Larry

Re:1960 Dorsett Luxury Lexinton 12 years 2 months ago #64193

• riceman
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Lurch wrote:

For the motor can anyone suggest where the heck I can find the hose kit I’m at a loss for this 75 hp motor and no one in Sacramento will even touch it to do any service. Am I better off replacing the motor with a more “current” model ? I don’t want to as I like the way it looks hanging off the back side and it keeps it original…
Larry

The old motors are pretty neat, IMO, and work just fine. most everything you'd need for them is easily obtainable (usually) and relatively cheap. plus, they're not too difficult to work on. and you've got a lot of experts here to help get you answers when you can't figure it out on your own. my opinion: keep it original.

as far as a hose kit goes, are you referring to the hose from the gas can to the motor? if so, i've seen them around most marine stores/shops. wal-mart even carries some of that stuff. just look for a Johnson/Evinrude fuel line kit. it should be a grey hose about 4-6 feet or so in length with johnson connectors at each end and a black squeeze bulb in the middle.

here's a link to a pic:

www.teleflexsierra.com/mall/image/view/4/8/18-8009_2.jpg

i understand you being turned away by local shops. i got laughed at by a couple of the ones here when i mentioned that my motor was a 1958. so long as the compression is good, you should be able to address the rest of it yourself.

that's a fine looking boat you've got there! welcome aboard!

-Chris

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online