Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: we are thinking of you in harms way.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42455

Sounds like John's throwing a party. Bedford is not a bad drive from Jersey. We'll be praying for you all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42459

thanks for the concern john but a cat 1 isn't gunna chase me away. my main concern is a 70' spruce, 20' to the west of my solarium room. the winds coming from the east will be blowing that thing straight at that room. i lost one that blew into the pool a few years ago....ron
:
Attachments:

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42469

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
You're a kind man John. Thanks.
Shipley

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42494

Thanks John, appreciate you thinking of us. I'm with Ron though, Cat 1 not high enough to scare me yet. I sat through Ivan and Dennis when I lived in Pensacola Florida, VERY close to Ivan's eye and damn close for Dennis. When your sitting in you safe room in the center of the house and your walls are moving when your back is against them, then you KNOW your in a hurricane! :ohmy:

Bob

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42515

• john-gibson
  • john-gibson's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
you guys are welcome but darn,your bullheaded,its the flooding thats got me worst worried,i lived through a flood in 1977,near johnstown,we were lucky alot of folks died,and some of my family were righ in the middle of it.it was a miricle they made it.
you guys are in our thoughts and prayers,all of you!!!john p.s. im sorry i called you bullheaded,dont take that seriously,take care john and lorraine

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42539

We just rode it out in Richmond, VA and I have to admit it was much stronger than I expected. Trees down, so many houses without electricity, lasted about 12 hours. And we are 100 miles from the coast! If it was that bad here, hard to imagine coastal conditions.

Best advice: be prepared for loss of power and have some board games ready. Don't go out driving once it starts!

Hello, World!!

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42548

Irene has made it to Albany. Heavy rains and the wind is kicking up pretty good. Supposed to be worst this afternoon. Losing power pretty much guaranteed. Better than an ice storm though. I'd rather cut up a whole tree and be done with it than pick up branches from 70-80 pines and do that every few years. We're hunkered down and have the gear to weather it. We evacuated my MIL from Long Island though. At 89 she refused to leave Friday because of her weekly Bridge game. She took the Hampton Jitney from Westhampton Beach to NYC yesterday morning and my wife's sister picked her up. They are on the shore of Long Island Sound at her place.....which has about a 30' high retaining wall between the house and the water. Shouldn't be a problem.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42553

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
im glad your ok ken,thats great!
just talked to ron in nj,and he said they already have about 8 inches of water.
brian you and your family hang in there !and stay safe.
we are leaving at about noon to go camping so i wont be on much if at all,ut all of you are in our thoughts,john and lorraine

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42555

slowing down here in jersey. winds didn't get to what they predicted, maybe 60mph. lowered my pool last night by 4" and its now lapping at the coping so we got an additional 6" overnight, totaling 10". we've never had that much rain in a 24 hr. period and its not over yet. so far basement is dry but it will start seeping in as the groudwater table rises. hope everyone is safe. going out now to survey the town and take pics. ron
Attachments:

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42610

Greetings from coastal CT!! I was little concerned living in the coastal flood plain (house at +9 and garage at +5). The Aqua Ray is in a friends garage several feet up and the Tomahawk on a friends property well inland. Will check on them tomorrow but assume all fine. The rest of my life had been moved to various spots. The garage ended up with about 3" of water so all is good. Some broken branches and lots of cleanup. I also have about three dozen pears in my driveway. I have no idea where they came crom

No power and probably not for a while (50% of CT without electricity). Dog and I are unscathed. Needed a couple of days off. But hadn't planned on this.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1964 Custom Craft Aqua Ray
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42612

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Glad you're okay Todd, that's the most important thing! Pears, huh?

Mark

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42657

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
I tell ya that was alot of Rain up in the hills out side of Albany, I dont have any pics this am but buy was the begginings of the Hannacrois creek going. Nothing compared to the Schohairy Valley and the Villages of windham, Hunter, and Middle burg.. Hope all are ok down there. Nothing bad happened at my place, An aristocraft was trying to fly so I filled it with tires to hold it down, and Our boat in Athens managed to stay afloat, last week the Batteries died due to a triped GFI on the dock I was a bit worried that would happen again so I shut down the Fridge and anything that would use power other than the pumps anticipating the rain. Just glad all is well and hope the best for everyone else.
Attachments:

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42725

Checked the flood maps for lodi, Ron should be 'Dry' no flooding was reported in Lodi, NJ....Electricity may be a different story, as odd as this may sound..that's good news.

the rather bad news Irene -now- looks to be Part one of a two part story, TD-12 (tropical depression-12) is on the grid -now- which is looking to be a full tilt cat 2 just North East of the lessor Island come this Saturday (September 3rd) which will have the name Katia....

Katia will run -just about- the same track as Irene, across the warm waters of the Bahama's up along side the coast of Florida, and heading north up along the East Coast sometime on or about the 7th....as it looks so far in a preliminary review.

Ok, So...the question remains..have we learned anything about the difference between a Hurricane and a tropical storm, giving there are 800,000 + people with out electricity -right now-, by the time they get remotely close to getting back on the grid is when Katia should be making making her pass if the plots hold up.

-NOT RINGING A BELL- just passing on -NEWS- that is real important...basically, Irene was a practice run..it looks like the real deal may be coming, and..have plains to act before..

some may not know what I call a tropical Storm, a tropical storm is MORE dangerous than a hurricane...they normally linger, and travel slower than a land fall hurricane and dump more rain and cause more flooding because they lack the Hollywood wind effect, yet people will still shelter in place...saying they went through -A- storm back when and -Nothing- can beat that...

these are also the same people who keep a fire axe in their attic for they are able to craw out when the water begins to raise in their house...

hope everyone is safe, and dry.

pass the Twinkies the show about to start...
H.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42770

John, no problem, knew what you meant! Didn't take offense at all.

We're back up and running. I posted on the NBR forum. Lost one 1 1/2' diameter Oak across the back Chain link but that was it. Many, many hardwoods down all over, very few Pines, go figure. Lost power at 7:45pm Saturday and got it back finally around 9:00pm yesterday. Lots of folks still without power here.

Worst part of Irene was that it was moving so slow as Houston said. Most of the hardwoods up this way don't have deep roots so when the ground gets saturated and the winds get high, there goes the trees. Conifers have a tendency to run a main root straight down looking for water so they withstand the saturation better, but if the winds get high enough then they just break off. Majority of the hardwoods that went down, did so roots and all, just pulled out of the saurated ground and wind pushed them over.

No deaths in our area that I've heard just no power and lots of generators and chains saws running.

Going to have to keep a close eye on the tropics now. Definitely have to get the plug so I can run the generator for the whole house, strategically of course.

Bob

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42790

the thing to watch now is the -after effect- flooding, where the heavy rains that where further inland are now -heading- downstream to the shore, via the Hudson and other rivers and streams.

Back in 72 there was almost the exact same thing, a No Nothing storm came ashore as barley a Cain and mowed it way up across the east coast causing major flooding because of the rain that it generated, the Storm name was Agnes. Tropical storms, Tropical depressions, utra sub tropical...called noreasterners...all are something that should be considered dangerous storms because of the amount of rain they carry and people do not because they lack the Hollywood wind effect.

yes I track as a hobby little bit.

Katia is now on the grid heading for the lessor island.

you can follow here:
Stormpulse

A simple quick view of track probability charts here:

Tropical Cyclone Track Probability

As of right now there a 47% chance Katia will be nothing more than a fish stir, and a 53% chance it will make land fall on the east coast -somewhere-.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42810

houston wrote:

Checked the flood maps for lodi, Ron should be 'Dry' no flooding was reported in Lodi, NJ....Electricity may be a different story, as odd as this may sound..that's good news.

the rather bad news Irene -now- looks to be Part one of a two part story, TD-12 (tropical depression-12) is on the grid -now- which is looking to be a full tilt cat 2 just North East of the lessor Island come this Saturday (September 3rd) which will have the name Katia....

Katia will run -just about- the same track as Irene, across the warm waters of the Bahama's up along side the coast of Florida, and heading north up along the East Coast sometime on or about the 7th....as it looks so far in a preliminary review.

Ok, So...the question remains..have we learned anything about the difference between a Hurricane and a tropical storm, giving there are 800,000 + people with out electricity -right now-, by the time they get remotely close to getting back on the grid is when Katia should be making making her pass if the plots hold up.

-NOT RINGING A BELL- just passing on -NEWS- that is real important...basically, Irene was a practice run..it looks like the real deal may be coming, and..have plains to act before..

some may not know what I call a tropical Storm, a tropical storm is MORE dangerous than a hurricane...they normally linger, and travel slower than a land fall hurricane and dump more rain and cause more flooding because they lack the Hollywood wind effect, yet people will still shelter in place...saying they went through -A- storm back when and -Nothing- can beat that...

these are also the same people who keep a fire axe in their attic for they are able to craw out when the water begins to raise in their house...

hope everyone is safe, and dry.

pass the Twinkies the show about to start...
H.

i'm dry but lodi has had its worst flooding in history. saddle river has receded now but the passaic river one town west is still rising. garfield, n.j. a catastrophe. i'm going down now to look at it.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42825

Ron,
Glad to hear your fared ok. I know Vermont it getting hit hard with the flooding. Hope al is well with everyone up there.

Bob

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42832

well two thing..got a cain coming 'towards' the east coast -again-, the arrival date is rather disturbing...9/8 to 9/11 (yup can't make that up), the other is the 'possibility' of a cain popping up 'in' the gulf between south Texas and Louisiana a bit later this week in to early next.

Seriously, it just something I am seeing and others...which now there is some mega computer looking into this hunch..

here is the current plots
and in the pretend world, using FSX and Active Sky -x- ...and X-Graphix From HiFi and...Microsoft, I have been involved in an experiment to See...IF, the Cains we can FLY in useing FSX resembles what is really taking place...

and ...well, can the and..but I saw my oldest last week, after about...oh...20 years, Happy and rather sad all in the same day -SUCKS-
Attachments:

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42839

Our power just came back on late yesterday afternoon. We lost it at 8 a.m. Sunday, came back on at 11:30 a.m., then went off at 6:30 for good. Didn't have a generator till Tuesday morning, so lost lots of refrigerated and frozen food. That was only a 2500 watt model, but it did the frig and freezer. Our problem is we have a well, and need 220 for it. I was fortunate to borrow an 8000 watt generator yesterday all set up to hook into the special generator panel we have in the house (thanks to Dave Albertson...), get home and the power is on. We are definitely getting a generator once they're available again, or from craigslist or something. they're like hens teeth right now.

This is the second time this year we've had our basement and garage flooded big time. First was after all the winter snows when the rain came this past spring, and then Irene. It doesn't hurt us much, as it's storage and shop space. We pretty much have everything up off the floor, as we've learned it floods once in a while. While I haven't got out in the back 4 wooded acres to look around, we had a big maple come down in the north side of our front yard that could have fallen on the Power Cat, house or even my truck, but it didn't. Essentially free firewood. I'll post some pics later, maybe even a video. Power is on, so lots to do, then I have to (ugh) get to work...

Frank

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42853

i purchased an 8000 watt troybuilt generator last year from lowes..$800 bucks, and had it at the ready but didn't need it. thank god.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42861

Was that on sale Ron, or regular price? If it was regular price, maybe we'll come down and visit, and come home with a new generator!

Frank

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42865

Local Lowes has a Generac Centurion 5000, 6250 peak for $649. Just piscked one up cus the one I got Saturday before the storm leaked oil! Still big enough to power the house essentials. Don't plan on powering the A/C or Dryer or stove, microwave and BBQ work fine. ;)

Frank, glad nothing took out the house/truck/boat.

Bob

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42869

Wow! Nobody around here has a generator left! I'm told it will be maybe a month...

Frank

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42870

They just restocked. They were bringing them to the main isle when i went in to discuss my bad one. They're coming in slowly here. I think they're pulling them from stock any where they can. I would assume that's probably the same situation up there.

Bob

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42886

PC1000 wrote:

Was that on sale Ron, or regular price? If it was regular price, maybe we'll come down and visit, and come home with a new generator!

Frank

your welcome to borrow it frank. it was $100 off.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42892

Ron, you don't want me borrowing it silly man! Then when you needed it, Sue would have your hide! What I meant was, that is a good price, so we'll come down, you can take me to your local Lowe's and we'll buy one!

Frank

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42894

well we might as well go for somethin teat too. let me know when. maybe i'll have somethin for you to fix while your here. hehe

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42914

Rumor has it I will get power back today. At least they got the cell tower working.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42919

Boy Todd, good luck!

Frank

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42920

OMG...4 days with no T/V! YANKEE GAMES,OPERATION REPO,JERSEY BOYS REPO,PICKERS,ICE ROAD TRUCKERS, SWAMP LOGGERS, AMERICAN LOGGERS, HARDCORE PAWN, RED GREEN RE-RUNS, ...replaced by chat with wife!!!
forgot the new one's out of brooklyn.. "CARFELLAS" and "SCRAPPERS
Attachments:

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #42946

• john-gibson
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
we just got back from camping,had a good time ,except i kept thinking about all of you guys ,im glad you all are ok,except for power,boy i have alot of catching up to do over 50 new posts since i left.
if anyone needs anything just let me know,john

---Mark Twain

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43022

The power came back in my area about 6:00 last night. However, the main breaker on my house wouldn't reset, so I had to get an electrician in this morning to replace it. All boats are fine. The CC is still in storage pending what Katia does.

The generator that came with the house wouldn't start (had it running 3 years ago, but that is the last time). Will junk that and go get one that works. There is a 5KW one at the local hardware store that I may need to go investigate tomorrow.

Now I have to appease my clients. Only one of them lost power.

Todd (aka thetudor)
1959 Glastron Seaflite
1959 Tomahawk Spirit

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43028

Should run your generator every 6 months to be sure it is in working order. Also put a load on it. B)

Been guilty of letting my generator set until I needed it. Whamo, no start. I learned. It pays to run them every so often!

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43030

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Mine is set to Excercise every week for 15 min. Even so it was not producing as clean power as it used to so it will need adjustment.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43046

I have a 5KW Homelite generator we bought in 1999. I have it tied to the 100 amp subservice in the garage, which feeds the 200 amp main service. Its enough poop to pump water (220V .75 hp) and keep the fridge and freezer cold. Not enough poop to run cal rods and hair dryers. Paid for itself again the last 3 days. I had it rebuilt a year ago for $220. Valve job, pull cord, points and plugs, air filter and housing, etc. Worth every penny. 3 pull start. Easy on fuel and oil. Not fun to listen to when you're trying to sleep. But you know it's working.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43050

We have a Pro Tran switch wired into our main 200 amp breaker that will legally and safely power my well pump, water system, furnace, frig and freezer. Sometime this month we will have the cash together to buy a 7500W Generac generator (10,000 surge watts) that will plug right in. Means I have to put off new radials for the Power Cat trailer a few months, but that's okay with me. Won't be long now.

Frank

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43053

I do it the old fashioned way. Lose power. Throw 200 amp breaker off. Connect 220V plug wire to generator. Start generator. Power house. Turn off gernator. Pull 220V plug from generator. Put 220 V under proper HV controls because it's hot when we have power. Turn on 200 main breaker. Would be nice to have an auto switch, but for once or twice a year, this works really well.

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43057

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
That's a simple easy way. I always ran extension cords and multi plugs but then I never had a situation like you guy have. A bucket of pond water sits by the throne room for easy flushing.
The prayers are with you.
Cal

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43296

• Shipster
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Hi All,
We got powered back up on Thursday but fortunately we have a generator that kept food and water going good. Thanks for all your concern.
Safety item. You can take a generator and plug an extension cord into it and power up most anything that the generator has the capacity to do with relatively little safety consequences however if you route the generator through your existing house wiring then the equation changes. Drastically! Crosbyboat mentioned it when he said the first thing he does is turn off the 200amp main breaker switch which essentially isolates his house from the rest of the electrical network (i.e. his neighbors). If you don't isolate your house then you run the risk of electrocuting the guys from the electric company who are working on downed power lines as soon as you start up your generator.
Now if you have a ton of money you can get an automatic generator set up to power your house as soon as the power goes down. You can also get a much cheaper manual set up like the one I put in which is a generator panel with whats known as a 3 position breaker switch. The breaker has a little see-saw type bar across the top of it that makes it impossible to run generator power without isolating your house from the rest of the grid. We got a SquareD model with I think are 6 spaces.
If any of this sounds confusing then just get an electrician. Happy Labor Day!!

Re:we are thinking of you in harms way. 13 years 1 month ago #43375

I have 4.

Two little baby gens. 1000Watt 2 cycle.(for TV) a Homlite 4400 watt and a
Generac 5000 electric start unit.
The bigger ones are ready to plug into my home with the "Gen" inlet socket.
I use the big one for the UP cabin. Only need for water the rest of the place is run by LP. B)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.329 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5787 guests and no members online