• Page:

TOPIC: Plastic Bunk pads

Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42195

• Tempest
  • Tempest's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
What you all think about those polyurethane bunk rails. Yes I like them. No I wouldn't use them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42347

I'm hoping for a few responses to this question myself. I have a trailer that I redid and used the plastic slides. However I do not have the boat done so I don't know if I like it or not yet. I do like the support a long flat area gives the hull. I have another trailer to do soon and I expect to use them again.

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42377

I was going to use a re-cycled plastic lumber on my bunks to try it out.
Attachments:

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42383

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I would think it really depends on your boat.Nice Fiberglassic,no way. I would stick with carpeted bunks. Aluminum beater boat, yep.Not sure if you mean to use it as a base then carpet or as is.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42387

• Tempest
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42391

Mr. 88 wrote:

I would think it really depends on your boat.Nice Fiberglassic,no way I would stick with carpeted bunks. Aluminum beater boat, yep.Not sure if you mean to use it as a base then carpet or as is.

I'd agree with that.

A set of properly made carpeted bunks will last a LONG time and will certainly be more friendly with your paint\gelcoat.

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42413

Yep I can vouch for that. I still have the ones on there that I think my dad redid the carpet on back in the 70s I think.

Bob

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42450

• Tempest
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
The thing with carpet as much I agree it seems it would be softer on painted or gelcoat surfaces. It can trap sand that can scratch the hull is what the people who sell the poly rails say. They say that poly rails will not scratch or mar gelcoat surfaces. So just wanted to see anyone who has them is this true.

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42452

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Not sure if it matters that much, but it appears that they also reduce the contact area supporting the hull slightly. (They're not as wide as the bunks themselves?) As others have stated, I think I'd pass on them under a Glassic hull. If it's ease in loading and launching you're after, how about spraying the bunks down with silicone lube or something similar next time the boat is off the trailer? (Spray it on right before you load the boat at the ramp.) You would want to use something that didn't harm the gel coat / paint / etc.. My Dad was a trucker, and they used to spray Pam cooking stuff on the front of the trucks to keep the bugs from sticking. Or maybe we finally found a good use for Amror All?!?!? Just a couple thoughts waiting for the morning coffee to kick in. :P

Mark

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42454

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
The UHMW is very popular here in Central Idaho for the jetboats (fishing). They are aluminum hulls and cosmetics are not the concern.
On gelcoat, for me, no way. Carpeted bunks all the do da day.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Plastic Bunk pads 13 years 1 month ago #42457

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
There marketing of the poly rails is to put the worst case scenario in your mind.Now I don't know about you but none of the ramps I use are on a sand beach.IF they were it would have to be a pretty rough day to stir up enough sand that I would be concerned about it getting on my carpeted bunks.Now the poly's in everyday or weekend use would have a better chance of marring my beautiful Glassic's hull than the maybe once in a decade that a put it in at a sandy launch ramp on a rough day.Seems like you want to buy these,if so,please give us a product report,doubt anyone on here would switch,no matter what your findings are. Tempest wrote:

The thing with carpet as much I agree it seems it would be softer on painted or gelcoat surfaces. It can trap sand that can scratch the hull is what the people who sell the poly rails say. They say that poly rails will not scratch or mar gelcoat surfaces. So just wanted to see anyone who has them is this true.

cool runnings Mr 88
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5522 guests and no members online