• Page:

TOPIC: RIP Golden Jubilee!

RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42112

• sjbpdx
  • sjbpdx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
My first adventure with my new old boat was getting the trailer hitch hitched and the lights to function correctly. I got hitched okay -- and thank you to those that responded to my 'trailer light woes' posting. :)

To make a long story short, I bought a 1960 Larson 16' All American Runabout with a 1959 35HP Evinrude Golden Jubilee. It turns out Little Miss Golden Jubilee has seen better days ... much, much better days. As a matter of fact, the boat mechanic doesn't even want to touch it. It's effed as some would say. He rattled off some issues with compression and flywheel. All I heard was his statement, "It isn't worth fixing."

Do I give up the whole boat and sell it for parts? Or do I wait until I can find a motor for it? The boat is very light ... so I am not even sure what motor would be most compatible. I do know I need to stick with something a little more modern ... even if it's from the 70's!

Thank you ...
~sjbpdx

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42113

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 1
Did you do a compression test your self? Do one and tell the fine people here what you find you will get guidence on how to work on the old girl and see if its worth fixing or not. Part of the fun is in the tinkering and learning how they work! Have fun.

Re: RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42119

• sjbpdx
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Heck no. I know nothing about compression. The boat mechanic told me the numbers -- whatever they were, they were way off. And I am not technically inclined enough to tinker with it. :silly:

Re: RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42120

• stashm2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
I would think a Golden Jubilee would be an decent one to work with up to you though. This is a good book for those www.amazon.com/Cheap-Outboards-Beginners-Making-Forever/dp/1891369628/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314208857&sr=8-1

Cheap Outboards: The Beginner's Guide to Making an Old Motor Run Forever
By
Max Wawrzyniak

No Better time than now to learn how to be mechanically inclined.
Good luck and have fun with it!

Jesse

Re: RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42121

Look at it this way. The motor has been deemed "broken". Learning to tinker with it isn't going to make it more broken. Tear it apart, see what exactly is the issue and figure out if it can be repaired. At the very least, you may learn enough that you can feel a little more confident when starting with a specimen in better initial condition and use this one for parts. Your motor is mechanically the same as the 1958 Evinrude Lark 35 and the 1958 and 1959 Johnson 35 Super Seahorses. They are quite common, so there will be lots of parts interchangeability. Plus, it's a lot easier to ship it a piece at a time than it is to try to ship a whole motor if you part it out.

As for finding another motor - I would never write off an outboard boat simply because the motor is blown. It's too dang easy to find another and clamp it on!

And, if you are looking for another motor, learn what compression is and how to measure it. Bring a gauge and spark plug wrench any time you are shopping for a used motor. If the seller won't let you check the compression, either use that as an excuse for a lowball offer, or simply turn around and walk away...

- Scott

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42126

Scott is right. The only thing I would add is that the Evinrude/Johnson motors are very easy to work on, especially compared to the Merc motors. They're all great motors but the Evinrude/Johnson's are generally bullet proof so to speak and easy to work on.

Bob

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42134

Tear it down and see for yourself. You might have a mechanic who by no other means just don't want to do it. I have a 2003 outboard on my 58 MFG. I don't do shows and she is not a trailer queen. I fish and I fish her hard. She keeps the water on the other side.
Attachments:

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42135

Most outboard mechanics won't work on anything older than the late 90's. What you were told is consistent with "get it out of here". Your motor may have real issues or it might just be something that the mechanic didn't want to fool around with.

You might try to find a vintage outboard shop - presuming you wern't at one - or go to www.aomci.org which is the Antique Outboard club's website and ask on their forum for a referral to somebody who can help you.

Assuming you aren't interested in learning how to do it yourself.

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42145

every one hear is right I have a 1964 650 merk that the previous owner was told it could not be fixed a set of plugs and cleaning the points and rotor and cap it was running that was 12 years ago still running strong will push the old pipestone to 32 1/2 mph
this was the local merk dealer

Charles

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42150

I'd be happy to take that "blown" Lark off your hands. I have 4 59's and 2.5 62's. They are great motors. Scott is right. Learn how to do a simple compression test. If close and >=90# each, you got a runner with some elbow grese.
Attachments:

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42158

I think the underlying message here is "encouragement" Last year, I rebuilt a old Merc 80 H.P. When I started,I knew absolutely nothing about outboards Think of it this way...."Nothing ventured, nothing learned" If you're going to junk it, at least take it apart to see how things work. You might surprise yourself.

Here is a pic of what I learned!

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42163

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Get yourself some literature on the motor, ask lots of questions here, find out what is up with the old girl. You can do it man! Don't bury her without an autopsy, she may not be dead, just sleeping. ;)
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42175

• Matt
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
i agree with other shere..don;t be discouraged...
i have an 80hp tore down right now, and actually there isn't anything to thes motors as far as parts go...not 2 find out whats the matter time, money and you gaining knowledge....

Matt in Illinois

I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time !

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42179

Peter_Crowl wrote:

Most outboard mechanics won't work on anything older than the late 90's. What you were told is consistent with "get it out of here". Your motor may have real issues or it might just be something that the mechanic didn't want to fool around with.

Peter, I would say most don't want to touch anything more than about 20 years old.

I can only guess their reasoning, but my guesses are:

1) They personally lack knowledge of the older motors.

2) They know most customers who own old motors are not willing to or are unable to pay the cost of the repairs. It is typical for the customer to want service work discounted because the motor isn't worth the cost(on paper). I won't discount my work. Do it once & everyone for 100 miles will expect a discount.

3) It is common to use the "parts aren't available any more..." excuse.

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42208

As I turn the corner headed to 60 I wish parts were as available for me as they are for these great old motors! I've been able to find everything for them, not so many for me!

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42251

The twin cylinder OMC Johnson/Evinrude engines outsold every other engine from the late 50s through the late 60s. They were dependable, and in their time, considered to be good enough power for the family runabout. They sold millions of them. They are found quite easily, if you know where to look. That being said - new old stock & used parts for these engines are also still available - more than any other brand. Do your homework & find a outboard motor mechanic who likes to work on these. These mechanics usually do "2nd tier" work - used outboards, and the stuff nobody in the front line shops will work on. Their labor rates are usually much less than frontline shops. But be warned - ask around before you leave your engine with just anyone. There are som excellent side - line shops, but there are also some real losers.

When cared for - these little engines will almost run forever.

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42279

Amen Bruce. I got mine. And nothing is guaranteed. I pay a ridiculous hourly rate (low) for work I have done. But there is truly nothing like these old motors running at WOT doing what they're supposed to.

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42308

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I cut my teeth on those twins, it's almost like a one size fits all motor, Johnsons, Evinrudes big twins, seahorses parts are all interchaingable. Best improvement that was made was the fuel pump that did away with the two hose gas tanks. If the conpression is really bad find a short block and swap out the parts. The entire project would only take a few hours with a straight screwdriver and a cheap set of sockets. Just about every bolt and nut on the thing is 1/4". Like the man says the parts can still be bought at any good OMC dealer. Make sure the plugs seat good, those old warhorses had a tendancy to strip out the plugs but can be easily fixed with a helicoil.
I could always tell when one of those old motors was in the water, just follow the oil slick. I think it was a 26:1 mix, smoke like a steam engine when started up.
Good luck.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42315

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
Yes, learn to check it out yourself or another motor head to help you. I am still learning old motors, so I by NO MEANS no it all. But 2 weeks ago we saw a nice old 1938 Johnson 1hp in the repair shop of the local Evinrude dealership. Love these old motors and asked the dealer who owned it and if there is a chance he may sell it. He said no, he won't sell, but I will have him call you. A week passes the owner called to tell us he would sell it as the dealership said the old motor was junk and we could buy it for $40, the same thing the dealer charged him to work on. They said it had no spark. Well, it didn't! They soldered a mounting bracket onto the new condenser and cooked it. We installed a new, but proper condenser and she runs like a charm. Sad part is, the seller got this motor as gift when he was 14 yrs. old and now he is 80 yrs. old. Of course, it was my 80yr. old Dad who bought it from him!

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 1 month ago #42319

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
That is a neat story. Saved another one from recycle.
Attachments:

Re:RIP Golden Jubilee! 13 years 4 weeks ago #43584

• sjbpdx
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the good info and words of encouragement everyone! This is a slow process I tell ya. I finally picked my boat up from the shop yesterday === Maritime Mobile in Vancouver, WA. Those guys felt bad for me and didn't even charge the flat diagnostic fee. I think they just wanted me to get my boat off their property! ;)

Here is what the paperwork says: "Compression is off 30 PSI. Mag plate damaged under fly wheel. Upper crank seal leaks. Block assembly damage. Motor is not worth repair."

Even though I really want to deep down ... I just can't take on this project. So I am not going to be doing anything further with the Evinrude other than giving it away to someone who wants it.

Now, I move on to PHASE II --- a new motor. I bought a 50HP Merc 500 Thunderbolt. It's from the late 70's -- so it's a couple decades newer. It's being installed today. Oh I hope this one works so I can get in a few days on the water before Winter is here!

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5755 guests and no members online