Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Blew a tire

Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41652

Going about 70 on the way out to western NY. Took out the rear fender market light, lens and wiring, front fender marking light lens, damaged the fender in a # of ways. I always travel with a portable floor jack and 4 way wrench, so getting the spare on was easy, except on my back.

After lunch, we're off to Chautauqua Lake. Did Lake Erie briefly this a.m., too much wind for fun.

Hope y'all are well!

Frank

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41653

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
careful Frank.

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41656

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
I hate it when that happens .

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41658

• jim bart
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
Ouch! sorry to hear, but glad it wasnt worse!

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41661

Heck I don't even have a spare. I can't find a wheel to fit my weird hubs. I'm going to use my TeeNee so I'm not worried. I can get a spare for it. Please be careful.

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41685

I'm not sure why everybody says "Careful." I rebuilt the hub bearings this spring, checked pressure on the tires before the trip, it was just one of those things that happen to people like me who ARE very careful. What was I supposed to do different?

That Power Cat of mine and that old merc 100 hp motor were apparently made to pull people around on tubes. First time out today, kids had an absolute ball, I drove, and with new hydraulic steering, had to work very little to be spinning kids around. What a gas. Video when we get home.

Enjoy!

Frank

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41686

wow ,sorry for the trouble
try SLOWING DOWN!!
here in ohio towing speed is 55 mph
but it seems iam the only one that knows that

woosterken

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41709

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
From the picture of the tire and from someone who has changed ALOT of tires Looks like Frank was a Victom of Crap on the road .It chucked the tread off of it thing is if the preasure was Way low and the tire got Hot from running low . Im sure Frank knows to Check tire preasure and he said he did .Sometimes Crap just happens to good people ..By the looks of it the rim must be atleast a 12 inch .No reason you cant run Normal speeds on that . Alot of Cars run on 12s.If it was a 4.80 / 8 Ya slow down some because they be spinning at 70 mph .

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41712

frank, just got home from pennsy and read your post...welcome to the club. glad the boat didn't get damaged. well thats 1 life. ron

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41713

frank, just got home from pennsy and read your post...welcome to the club. glad the boat didn't get damaged. well thats 1 life. ron

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41730

I run 14" tires on the trailer, and may go to 15's, but we'll see. That trailer has made many 70 mph+ long trips across the state over the last couple years. I'm the dude you see at rest areas checking the hubs (among other things) as soon as I stop and get out of the truck. I always run max cold air pressure, truck and trailer.

This was not a trailer I built just to go to the local launch. It was built for hauling a**. Stuff happens, but everything is fine, Gail did good, no problems. Wheel is also toast, but I've been wanting to replace them anyways. Now instead of old car wheels I'll have regular white spoked trailer wheels. This is a process of continual improvement.

We'll see how the weather is today and if it looks good, off to Chautauqua Lake we go!

Frank

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41747

wow frank,i just read this,sorry buddy.
when i bought the seaking cabin cruser i didnt have money to buy new tires,much less a spare tire,i dont know how i made it home when i bought it,but im a bone head and took it to the local lake,and i had 2 blowouts on the way home,pretty dumb huh,they were 8 inch tires.i then put on 12 inchers.
now im overly cautious,(if there is such a thing,lol),im always checking the hubs and tires.

i know for a fact that you do the same,your very good at doing trailers and keeping them going safely,you must have hit something on the road.
its a darn shame it messed up other things for you,but i know you frank,and you will have it fixed pretty darn quick,john

\"too soon old,too late smart\" my pap

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.“

---Mark Twain

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41749

I'm not sure why everybody says "Careful."

no matter how much you think your in control and taken every precaution....your not in control

at 70mph towing a boat and trailer you risk other peoples lives on the hiway ..... you cant control blowouts

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41764

MadProps wrote:

at 70mph towing a boat and trailer you risk other peoples lives on the hiway ..... you cant control blowouts

You gotta be kidding me right? There are so many idiots on the highways NOT towing a trailer, I'm the one that takes a risk everytime I get on, towing or not. We might not be able to control blowouts, but we have our head on our shoulders when driving, unlike a lot of folks.

Frank

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41772

i agree. people who tow boats are overly cautious. i know i stop every 2 hrs. to feel for heat on the hubs, check out tires, bow strap and hitch coupler. the only time i tralered over 65mph was the 2 trips to mt. dora.

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41774

Blown tire sucks! Too much wind blows! Have great week, Frank!PC1000 wrote:

Going about 70 on the way out to western NY. Took out the rear fender market light, lens and wiring, front fender marking light lens, damaged the fender in a # of ways. I always travel with a portable floor jack and 4 way wrench, so getting the spare on was easy, except on my back.

After lunch, we're off to Chautauqua Lake. Did Lake Erie briefly this a.m., too much wind for fun.

Hope y'all are well!

Frank

Blest boater

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41804

Frank,
Just saw this, glad there was no major damage! I'm glad the grandkids had fun. Don't feel bad. My trailer has two new white spoke wheels too! Had to get it here from Michigan some how and step mom had it set u before I got there so can't complain.

Bob

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41837

Yeah, no major damage. Minor stuff I'll fix when I get home. Screwed the wheel up too, so that will have to get replaced. Couldn't find radial trailer tire/wheel combos around, so will order a new pair from etrailer when I get home later today. I'm not excited about running tires that don't match, but I just need to get home. If another one blows, I bought a bias belted spare at Tractor supply yesterday. If I get home okay, I'll take that tire back and get my money back. I like running radials on trailers that go a distance. I may go up to 15" too, not sure right now. That would mean 3 new tires.

All the years I've been towing boats, I have never had a tire go, or really any problem with a trailer. There's always a first time I guess. Also, there's no question we hit something that blew this tire. It wasn't even close to worn out, and was not waetherchecked or anything like that. It was a good tire!

Frank

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41903

Had the same thing happen to my pop-up camper while driving through Dubuque, Iowa on a Sunday afternoon. The tires were four years old, correct pressure and going about 65mph. The tread just peeled off and took out the fender skirt and about six inches of aluminum siding behind the tire. Luckily there was a farm supply store that had exactly the tires I needed. I replaced both of them and headed on our way. I guess you just can't trust tires, anymore. Who knows where or who made them.

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41923

Interesting Dan. Probably ordering new radials tomorrow, and moving from 14" to 15". It will be easier on my tires and wheel bearings hauling the boat around with vehicles that have 16" tires. When I have to replace one worn tire, I replace both. Plus I have to get a spare, so 3 of them are $420 to my door. Always something, but safety first.

Frank

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41925

frank, have never heard that comparison before. larger tires on the tow vehicle and smaller ones on the trailer. the malibu has 18"..trailer 12". am i lookin forward to another disaster. ron

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41936

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Frank
Glad to hear only minimal damage and no one was hurt.
I blew a tire on a trailer this weekend also. Had to change it in 104 degree oven on the roadside. No damage, just inconvenience.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41939

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Well since were on trailer blow outs, was recently coming home from Paradise Boat Works and just outside of Attica,,,Attica,,,,Attica, sorry could not help myself.Blow out while using the Mrs. SUV as tow vehicle. Yep over sized tire iron and no tool box, which is in my truck.Well I found a road side popsicle stick and used that as a spacer so the iron would grab the nut, worked.The hardest part was actually removing the spare from the tongue as that seemed to be on tighter than the lugs.Last time without a cross iron [at least] in the tow vehicle.Went out and bought a spare wheel bearing as well.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41943

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
In addition to checking tire pressure,hubs,lights,and hitch check for ply separation on the tires. Run your hand along the top of the tread looking for any abnormality.One or more plys separate and air gets between them forming anything from golf ball to football size lump.Unfortunately the best time to spot this is after you've driven enough to heat up the tires. It can also happen on the sidewalls too.

Re:Blew a tire 13 years 1 month ago #41969

vuyosevich wrote:

frank, have never heard that comparison before. larger tires on the tow vehicle and smaller ones on the trailer. the malibu has 18"..trailer 12". am i lookin forward to another disaster. ron

Ron, your 12" trailer tires are spinning maybe 50% more than your 18" tow vehicle tires. Doesn't mean you're looking forward to another disaster, just means the bearings and tires are getting more miles on them at higher speed. Preventive maintenance is the key, especially with bearings. Flat tires are not what I would call a disaster.

My trailer is much heavier duty than most. It has a 3500# axle with 5 lug hubs that can take any 4 1/2 by 5 wheel. It's had 14's on it since I got it, but the fenders are adjustable, as you can see in the pic below. Right now the fenders are mounted on the top holes. When I get my new 15" tires, they will probably have to move to the bottom holes. So it's easy for me to change tire size. Not so easy for most guys with vintage trailers. One of the reasons I went with such a heavy duty set-up for such a light little boat was specifically to travel interstates at speed.

Frank

Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5066 guests and no members online