Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Ski Rope...where to tie it?

Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41324

Hi My starcraft has handles on the back but I am sure they are not beefed up enough, How do I go about installing the necessary eye holes for this in a safe manner and in a way that is ok for the transom.

thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41336

Back in the day. I used a harness with a pulley system hooked to the ski rope that connected to those handles.. Worked good for me.

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41337

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41397

jdwilliams1 wrote:

Hi My starcraft has handles on the back but I am sure they are not beefed up enough, How do I go about installing the necessary eye holes for this in a safe manner and in a way that is ok for the transom. thanks

I used u-bolts just like this on my boat: www.lowes.com/pd_207772-34002-66263L3_4294925640_40_?productId=3085787&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Marine%2BSupplies_4294925640_40_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

I drilled through the transom with a hole slightly bigger than needed. This allows sufficient room for the sealing compound (in this instance I would recommend 3M 5200) to seal completely around the studs going through the transom. Let this set for 48 hours, then just try and get them out! This will be more than sufficient for what you're planning on doing.

Mine came out looking like this:
Attachments:

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41399

PC1000 wrote:

jdwilliams1 wrote:

Hi My starcraft has handles on the back but I am sure they are not beefed up enough, How do I go about installing the necessary eye holes for this in a safe manner and in a way that is ok for the transom. thanks

I used u-bolts just like this on my boat: www.lowes.com/pd_207772-34002-66263L3_4294925640_40_?productId=3085787&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1&pl=1¤tURL=%2Fpl_Marine%2BSupplies_4294925640_40_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_quantity_sold|1

I drilled through the transom with a hole slightly bigger than needed. This allows sufficient room for the sealing compound (in this instance I would recommend 3M 5200) to seal completely around the studs going through the transom. Let this set for 48 hours, then just try and get them out! This will be more than sufficient for what you're planning on doing.

Mine came out looking like this:

[img]http://www.fiberglassics.com/media/kunena/attachments/legacy/images /FA_14t232L.jpg

From there just hook a harness as described above and go!

Frank

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41400

Sorry, for some reason, I can't get across the page to hit "edit" and remove that 2nd post!

Frank

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41433

I glad I read before answering...I was thinking of where you were going to tie it to the skier....After the 4th time of one not getting up :( we always threaten to tie the rope around the skier's neck :woohoo:

For real we use the system posted above. We never had a problem and even use the rig to pull 20 (sportsman) ft shrimp nets...that is some heavy pulling

CAVU

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41449

N/M

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41450

Something very screwy is going on here. I can't do a "N/M" delete on a bad post. Guess I'll see y'all later. Maybe if I go away for a while it will be "fixable" when I come back. Sheeeesh!

Frank

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41466

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I think you can still purchase those ski tow harnesses at Overtons. Come with two hooks for your transom eyes, a float to keep it away from your motor and a pully for the actual ski rope hookup.

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41471

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
63 Sabre wrote:

I think you can still purchase those ski tow harnesses at Overtons. Come with two hooks for your transom eyes, a float to keep it away from your motor and a pully for the actual ski rope hookup.

Just make sure that the ski tow harness hooks fit into the eye bolts on the transom. I picked up a harness without checking diameter.It does not click into the closed position.Ended up looping a small rope through the transom eyes which
allowed the harness hooks to click into the closed mode.Two boats,same problem.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41477

elgindave wrote:

Back in the day. I used a harness with a pulley system hooked to the ski rope that connected to those handles.. Worked good for me.

Vintage pic of Dave using pulley system with old girlfriend:

;)
Attachments:

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41482

Is it just me or is the first 7 posts being partially blocked on the right from being read completely by the Log Out Poll and advertisements. :(

I'm made a pylon that mounts on the center floor and can also be used to hold a small table.

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41483

Yep, you are right. What a ride! :laugh:

Re:Ski Rope...where to tie it? 13 years 1 month ago #41495

Tempest wrote:

Is it just me or is the first 7 posts being partially blocked on the right from being read completely by the Log Out Poll and advertisements.

That's the same deal here, plus when I go to edit a post, it adds a new one! Hey, I'm just glad it's not just me!

If I had a floor, I'd mount a pylon too. I wish I could find one of the ones that mounted right on the power of tower...

Frank

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.220 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6382 guests and one member online