Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare?

BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41065

• finfanatic
  • finfanatic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
Went to check out this vintage Glastron today. I knew I shouldn't have done it as soon as I pulled in the driveway. I am a sucker for these big ol' skiff style boats(tanks) of the late 60's. She's a 1967 Caribbean V-234. I've never seen another one like it. I've always loved classic Glastrons, and this one's big and in-your-face. I'ts been sitting for several years and the original 6 cylinder is locked up. Missing only a few parts here and there, but mostly complete. Decks are super solid. Interior of cuddy is really nice. Owner says $600 and won't budge off that price. Good paperwork comes with.

Should I, or shouldn't I?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41066

Wow super cool.....i would do it in a heart beat!!!

but i am not a big inboard fan.
and would depend on how much moooolaa ya want to put into it!!

But man that's a cool boat!!! :cheer:

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41071

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Way cool boat.
The parts availability for the OMC may be a little tough, but certainly not out of the question.
You can haul alot of people/beer/camping stuff in that thing.
And you are right, a big 24' Glastron is in your face.
Get it before she goes completely to waste.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41073

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Depends if your a glutton for punishment. The outdrive is the first thing that scares me.Not sure how easy it is to find parts.Engine seized?, maybe and that's a big maybe you soak it with marvel mystery oil and it frees up.Then you have to see if the block is cracked from not being winterized as well as being laid up improperly.Compression test may lead to some bad valves ,pistons,rings and or head gasket Then you have to get into the hull, stringers,wiring, etc.After that it's your option, if you think it will make you a happy man then buy it.Keep the economy running and if worst comes to worst you may sell the trailer for a few hundred and cut your possible money loss.It's your call my man.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41074

Call me crazy but a 6 cyl in that big boat Uh Uh yank that puppy out and find a later (1980ish) 350 V8 with an 800 series drive. Still uses the big round cut out in the transom and would properly push that big unit around. A complete boat with the proper power can be bought for cheap and let the parts swapping begin!

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41075

• Mr. 88
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Has it been covered or left in the open all these years? I see holes in the floor where the captains chair was.Where do those holes lead to and how many more are drilled and not filled?Are you in a freezing climate?Is the transom solid or has water infiltrated that? Not trying to be overly negative just giving you some food for thought.

cool runnings Mr 88

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41079

ahhh, got deep pockets to carry all that cash around you gonna need for gas? :unsure:

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41084

• finfanatic
  • finfanatic's Avatar Topic Author
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
It is a cool boat, and reminds me of my old '66 Cobia G24 Offshore, but without the rotten stringers and decks. The floor seemed to be in really good shape, the owners reportedly had taken out the deck area interior about 3 years ago. I checked the transom and it seemed to be really solid.

The thing that I like the most about this boat also bothers me the most, and that is it's just huge - it would be a big project. but when finished....man it would make a statement. Imagine how awesome it would be floating at the dock or rumbling down the lake, and how many heads would be turning....

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41089

IF it was a mercruiser I/O I would say YES.......BUT......it isnt

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41092

It certainly has NOT been taken care of, all the interior is missing.

As for the OMC drive, unlike everyone else here I am a fan. BUT, be sure the steering system is not seized. They are hard to find. As for replacing it with a later 800 drive, that is probably a high profile drive & the 800s were low profile, so the hole will be too high. Another thing to consider is the engine mounting. Lots of the early OMCs used a transom mount (the "stringer" nickname isn't 100% accurate) for the rear engine mount. IF this one does, then the transom wood needs to be solid. If it is a true stringer mount, the wood strickly reinforces the steering cable pivot & tow eye areas.

AS for the transom, the only wood is most likely in the flat area, so it should be replaceable w/o removing the deck for access.

Don't expect a rocket with the V6.

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41097

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Redo the transom without a hole in it .Throw a Jack Plate with a 6 inch set back Then hang a Big Old 1500 Merc off of the back or a 2.5 ..You would have more interior room to .

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41101

I wish I had room to store more boats. If you got the space jump on it. I only have room for 1 15ft boat in my garage and that's it.

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 13 years 1 month ago #41128

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
I had a couple of those OMCs, very strong runners when working right and the outdrive lift can get you in about 6" of water. Some air leaks in the water pump area were a problem but can be fixed, keep the oil changed in the power lift so the plates dont lock up on you, the small motor is hard to find. The V6 is a GMC Buick, very reliable with more power that you could imagine. Parts for both the outdrive and motor are around you just have to look. I think I have a brand new fuel pump for that motor sitting on a shelf in my basement. If it has power steering that's a bear to adjust. If it has the push/pull steering connected to the outdrive they don't come any simplier(?)

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57133

HI again,

my Sandra has not been doing especially well lately, so i'be been AWOL from the forum
BUT
i just found a COMPLETE & basically in good shape 1967 Glastron
Carribean V-234 just like the boat above, EXCEPT that it has a RUINED 350CI engine, out of a Corvette, installed. the OMC outdrive has recently been rebuilt.
(the boat/trailer is for sale at an excellent price because the 'Vette engine is NOT repairable)

does anyone know WHICH exact engine is CORRECT for this 1967 boat?

ALSO, how many, if anyone knows, of these BIG hulls were built?

THANKS, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57137

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
Satx, there were several engines available to that outdrive. I never had a Glastron but two Crusiers and an Evinrude. The Evinrude had the Buick V6 and had enough power to snap that thing out of a hole in a shot. A 23' Cruisers had the outdrive hooked up to a Chevy 305 another very reliable engine. The V6 had a 2bbl carb and was good on gas and plenty of snot. The Chevy on the other hand had the Rochester 4bbl and you could hear the ca-ching at the turn of the key and really didn't do much better than the V6.

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57144

63 sabre,

1st, thanks for the quick response.

i'm HOPING that a "Glastron expert" is on our forum & knows PRECISELY which engines were available in the '67 V-234, therefore CORRECT for 1967 & hopefully the correct block serial number range.

according to the factory brochure, 150-310HP engines were available in'67 but i don't say WHICH ones they were.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57159

to ALL,

looks like i'll aquire the boat IF i can find a suitable Buick/OMC V-6 155HP complete engine for it.

does anyone know of a suitable engine for sale?

UPDATE: Saturday, 2PM, 10Mar12: One of our members in OK has a suitable 1967 OMC/ Buick 155 that's available!
yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57161

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Sorry to hear that Sandra hasn't been well Satx, best wishes to her. I went over to CGOA to get the motor info you're looking for, and see that you knew where to go for that! He he. While I believe there are still a few (?) of them around, the Carribean is a grand ole cruiser IMHO. Good luck with the project should you decide to take it. Keep us posted on all, would ya?

Edit: Jim Andros and Peter Crowl are probably the two guys I think of most on OMC I/O stuff, you may want to get in touch with them for details or possible parts sources.

Mark

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57166

Mark S,

THANK YOU for the response & info.

and YES, i will.

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57292

TO ALL:

IF any of you NEED a COMPLETE 1967 OMC/Buick 155HP engine for a restoration, i have discovered TWO of them (THANKS to TWO of our GREAT Fiberglassics members).

one in OK (which i'm planning to go & get, ASAP) & one (disassembled,but complete & in good shape, for DIRT CHEAP) in MI.

as i only need ONE, if you need the other one PM me & i'll tell you WHERE it is.

yours, otter

Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:BIG '67 Glastron Caribbean, rare? 12 years 6 months ago #57317

to ALL,

does anyone know what the production figures for Glastron Caribbeans was?
(as many experts as we have on this forum, i'm sure that someone knows.)

yours, satx

Thomas Jefferson, 1803
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.245 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle