• Page:

TOPIC: New Hobby

New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #40905

• Newman
  • Newman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey, New here, New hobby and a new toy. As far as I know it's a 59 Larson Pla-Boy with a 55 chrysler on the back. Just needed a good cleaning, Tune up and a little seat work I think for now anyways.

I was told it runs but tries to stall as soon as you open it right up but when u slowly back down then it kicks up and flys.... What would fix that? A good carb cleaning or would it be something else?

Newman
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #40906

Boy that looks nice! Try taking wet emory paper maybe 1500 or so and wet sanding that blue. I'll bet the color will pop right out. Just need to get rid of oxidation layer. My rule of thumb on any old motor I get before trying to start it:

- compression test
- carb rebuild with ethanol resistant gaskets
- lower unit service (remmove, check gears and clutch dog,reseal and a new impeller
- replace all fuel lines with alcohol resistant lines

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #40907

Assuming your compression is good, I'd say start with a good carb cleaning\rebuilding replacing all the fuel lines\filters, a "by the book" linkage adjustment and clean up any stray or slightly questionable wiring. 9 times out of 10, that fixes any running oddities... not to mention, it's just good, preventative maintenance to do every few years to help keep your motor in tip-top running condition, at least, in my opinion.

An impeller wouldn't be a bad idea either, nor would some fresh gear oil.

A wise investment would be a shop manual first and foremost, to help familiarize yourself with that particular motor. I've spun wrenches on a couple Chryslers now and they have been a joy to work on.

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #40923

• Kerry
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #40930

Crosbyboat said a mouthful here. I can't tell you how much you need to update your fuel system. Mine was new enough not to use old rubber but the rubber primer bulb was torn up by ethanol. You don't want to get it all going just to have to replace those 50+ year old seals in the gearbox. I fixed an old Johnson up and it ran like a top. After running a hour or so it leaked oil out all over. Do it now and avoid trouble.

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #40939

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Nice find, Newman. (Welcome, by the way.) The old girl looks to be in pretty good shape. The gang is giving you great advice here, address the old rubber in the fuel system (and lower unit seals) before it "bites you" any more than it already has. A little tender loving care (tune up - refresh), and you're good to go riding for hours, hopefully! ;)

Mark

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #40975

Nobody mentioned rebuilding the fuel pump. that should be done the same time as the carbs.

Nice looking boat, good luck with it!

Frank

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #41002

I guess we should say up-dating the whole fuel system. Fuel pump should not be forgotten.

Re:New Hobby 13 years 1 month ago #41185

• Newman
  • Newman's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for all the tips and the quick reference manual. Im slowly picking away at it and I hope I can still get parts for it around here (Ontario).

Any one know the best way to open the glove box without a key?

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.194 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6410 guests and one member online