• Page:

TOPIC: Transom Repair Question

Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #40890

• havock
  • havock's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
I've got some questions about a transom repair that I need to tackle. I've searched the site but I think this might be a unique case. A bit of background on the boat. It was given to me by a friend after their priorities changed. He rebuilt the Johnson 40 and has replaced the floor.
Now my dilemma, most of the guides I've read say to tackle the transom repair from the inside which either requires me to separate the top of the boat from the hull or cut away the floor. I would hate to cut away part of the recently restored floor but I'm thinking it might be easier to replace a section floor that to rebuild the outside of the transom.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #40892

Pictures really help us to give you advice. I can tell you from experience, that while top removal sounds daunting, it's not all that bad, and I think you get a better job.
Attachments:

Re:Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #40895

• 63 Sabre
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 167
You might have already checked out the "research" section of this site but under transom repair there is a very good guide. You might have to cut maybe the last 4-6 inches of your deck but that can be fixed up at the same time you put in your new transom. If I were to remove the transom shell it might work but it would always be in the back of my mind when I hang a few hundred pounds of motor back there it might fall off. Good luck on you progress and keep us informed. Who knows you can come up with something none of us has tried before or even thought of.
Cal
Attachments:

Re:Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #40903

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
I still have to get some pictures taken of the boat. The pictures would help not only you but myself as I am working off a 10 look see memory before I stored the boat. the boat is a 1962 Cutter, if that helps.

while I have no fear of doing a bad fiber glassing job on the transom, the amount of work involved in rebuilding the hull is something I'd prefer not to worry about and keep things as simple as possible.

I think I might cut the floor back a foot or so and squeeze some new wood in under the "sitting bench" on the transom.

Re:Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #40925

Consider Seacast.
If it is a really rotten transom getting the wood out is easier.
Yes pics would help. Don't do it this way. Because it ends up like this.
Attachments:

Re:Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #40965

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well that doesn't look so bad, nice coat of paint and no one would know. I'd never know, looks like good work to me.

Looks like I won't get pics until Tuesday evening but I will get them for sure.

I considered seacast, I think I figured I'd need about 8 pails of the stuff (going on memory estimates for boat size) I cannot imagine seacast is cheap, I don't want to cheap out but I do need to be as frugal as possible and since my labour is free.... of course if it's just a little bit more then it is certainly an option. Do you know what the price is like for seacast?

Re:Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #40988

www.transomrepair.net/index.php?cPath=1&osCsid=b33667d9d119167dc5c2a3d27279c702

That transom of mine took 7 gallons.
I spent about $500.
1.5" thick.

That paint on the transom is plastic lawn chair paint.
So far so good.

Re:Transom Repair Question 13 years 1 month ago #41020

• havock
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Well it looks good even if it's green :)

I would need about 8 gallons of seacast and I'm seriously wondering if I need to redo the transom at all. I did some poking in the existing holes in the transom and the wood seemed pretty solid and not soft.
The previous owner had pried some of the outer hull away from the wood core at the top (somewhat visible from the pics below) so I'll take a closer look when I'm not in a hurry to get to work.

Here are some pics of the boat. picasaweb.google.com/102504549602596600161/CutterScamp?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCIGY1vnx6bvFKw&feat=directlink

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.188 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6430 guests and one member online