Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Motor Question

Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40662

I currently have a 1958 35 horse Johnson. I have a friend who has a 1961? Sea King 40 horse. The color scheme with the Sea King would look great with the boat, a 1958 Sea Fury. Any suggestions or thoughts from the pros on this site would be greatly appreciated. Both motors run fine. Is a 1961 still considered a period motor fo rthat boat? Thanks for any advice/tips. Both are in comparable condition by way of blemishes.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40664

• Oceans2
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 0
I am by no means a pro here but with a '58 engine,'58 boat you can't get anymore period correct than that combo,imo.Not quite like acquiring a numbers matching vintage classic car but almost. Save the '61 engine for a '61(insert your favorite '61 lust boat here).

Melanie

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40667

I realize that but cherry red with cherry red looks so much better. I don't know much about Sea King other than parts are interchangeable with OMC motors. I like them both one for the fact that it's a 58 which matches the period the other for the matching color. Decisions, decisions, decisions. Thanks for your feedback.

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40669

Here is my opinion...

A '58 and '61 boat and motor are period matching or period correct. As Melanie points out, what could be a better match than the same year, I agree, though I would also be more specific and call that "year matching"... the way I see it, a boat and motor from the late '50's and early '60's are from the same period. I call my setup period matching, that being a '59 G3 and '63 merc/controls. I planned to have a period matching setup, but I didnt want a "dock-buster" Merc... so I went with a slightly later model motor.

Just my view of the world, for what its worth :)

Dean

Bandit - 1959 Glasspar G3
See more G3s at www.g3owners.com

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40671

I feel as long as the motor is newer than the boat in the same time period it is acceptable to call it period correct.

A boat could have been re-rigged at some point with a bigger/newer motor.

Older motors on newer boats does not work as well for me. But this is my opinion.
Same year is the best most of the time. I a lot of the time put what looks the coolest. For example. I have a 1965 Carlson contender that came with a 1965 900 merc. But I prefer the 1966-67 1100 motors due to the cool silver stripe put down the middle of the cowl. The 1965's are not my favorite.

Conrad

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40672

I've got a 58 Mark78 on my 58 Owens but with it being a dockbuster I'm thinking of putting the twin 64 LarkIV's on it for better control and putting the 78 on my 58 Cutter.

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40680

I am just this way..1948 Lone Star with a 1948 Champion...restoring a 1948 Sea King as to be able to change things out at times

A 1957 Wood Yellow Jacket with a 57 motor (bigtwin)
A 1957 Holmes will have twin Javelins

a 58 Feather Craft with ...Yep a 58 Fastwin..or maybe a pair for I have 2 and all the parts to put twins on it...and another Lone Star, Feather Craft and a glass Yellow Jacket...all have motors of the same year as the boat bought and in waiting as their turn comes up for restoring

Now for my problem child...a 1969 Thunderbird...have not found a 69 motor (115 hp) that is worth buying ...still have a few years before that project comes up

However as things goes the T bird has been in the family from new....it was re powered in 1976 with a 1976 135 hp; and that is what is sitting on the back of the boat right now.....many boats are done that way...one reason we always bought outboards over inboard/out or inboards...motor goes out ...kick it off and replace it..one day turn around

CAVU

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40683

The choice is really yours to make - do what you want with it. If you want a non original color on a boat or motor - proceed as you wish. Not everyone will agree with you - but that's not what really counts. What counts is doing it they way you would like it. A non original color scheme or motor package doesen't generally destroy the value of a boat. I used to have a red & white SeaFury, it was a cute little boat.

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40685

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hang a 1958 Mark 78 Mercury on it and gas it! ;)

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40768

From an ACBS judging standpoint, you lose a point for every year off up to 5 years. I think there's a 20 point deduction for a motor considered "modern". You are well within the 5 years, so if you showed your boat you wouldn't lose much.

If you're not showing the boat, then run what you want. 99.9% of folks who will see your boat will only see an old boat with an old motor. They won't care that they're three years apart. If you want to sell it someday to make room for your next project, offer the '58 motor as an option if the prospective buyer is concerned...

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40777

Ask and you shall receive. I appreciate all the feedback. I love this site-timely, useful feedback :laugh:

I'm fairly new to restoration, what is the best way to get the shine back on gel coat? It's pretty chalky looking. It's all original from 58. I've tried to sand it a little and it looks good until it dries. Is it time to clean it and paint it? Is there a chemical I can use to bring back the luster with some elbow grease? Is it best to re-post this elsewhere? Thanks again.

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40780

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
There are a couple good articles under the "Restoration" button in the tool bar, here's a direct link;
www.fiberglassics.com/research.html
Jamil and Heather both have good advise in their articles there, probably easier than searching the entire forum with the "Search" button. ;)

To address your specific question about a "magic chemical", there are several products on the market that claim to do just that. (Poly-Glow comes to mind, I'm sure there are several others.) We've been told that this will only last a limited time, and makes repainting or re-gel coating the boat later much more difficult. I believe in the long run you'll be much happier with the wet sand, polish, and wax methods described in the above mentioned articles.

Mark

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40794

• DaveK
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Just me and everyone has an opinion. I would rather see the boat change color than the motor change color, if you are looking for a matched color set. Somehow, the motors are what they are, when they painted them for a specific year. JMHO

Re:Motor Question 13 years 1 month ago #40805

If you are showing I'd stick with the same year or at least the same model looking the same. If you want to just have fun put whatever you want on it. My 58 MFG has a 2003 Honda on it. I got it because of dependability but last few years was a nightmare with gas issues. I think I found the culprit. ADVICE, put a new primer bulb and lines on it that like ethanol.
Attachments:

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 6211 guests and one member online