• Page:

TOPIC: 1965 Formula By Thunderbird

1965 Formula By Thunderbird 13 years 2 months ago #40376

• Hank 11
  • Hank 11's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, i am new to this forum, but thought i'd join since i just bought this neat little boat.
It is said to have been imported from Florida to Northern California around 1971. It spent most of it's time in Lake Berryessa, and has not been used very much the last 10 years.
It is unrestored and complete. Seems like the driver seat is from a more modern boat, and a few of the gauges has been replaced.
Our plan is to re-upholster it, and explore the California Delta.
The engine is from what we have been told a Ford 260cui V-8 with a Shelby intake!!

Looking for more info and pics on these boats!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:1965 Formula By Thunderbird 13 years 2 months ago #40384

• Split
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
..HANK.: WELCOME. Quite a nifty boat you found .. They have a good history .. Early outdrives wee still a work in progress &
maybe not the strongest.... May have to search for parts / info when the time comes... We do have a library section up top on the tool bar . Here is the segment from ThunderBird file.. With Don Arrow as the early designer. Don Aronow founded Formula in 1962 in Miami, Florida. The original 233 deep-V hull design was built at his direction and later earned notable victories on the national offshore racing circuit. Formula was the first of Aronow’s boat companies. While many of today’s Formulas have matured well beyond the speed-only image, the prestige originating with past racing victories is still quite evident in the highly successful FAS3TECH series. In 1961 Thunderbird was acquired by Alliance Machine and Foundry and they followed up by purchasing Formula in 1964. Both Formula and Thunderbird models were then produced in North Miami. An Atlanta-based conglomerate, Fuqua Industries, acquired Thunderbird /Formula in 1969.

Vic Porter once again exercised his entrepreneurial spirit in 1970 and, along with five business associates, founded the Signa Corporation. This venture resulted in a quality line of trihull boats manufactured in Decatur and marketed throughout the Midwest and East. With Porter as president, Signa’s growing success attracted the attention of Fuqua Industries. Fuqua’s offer to buy Signa was accepted in 1973 and, based on his expertise in the boating industry, Porter was named president of Fuqua’s entire small-boat division. At that time there was also a manufacturing facility in Paso Robles, California.

In mid-1976 Vic Porter purchased Thunderbird/ Formula from Fuqua. The second generation of Porters joined in the management team as they finished their college work and gained experience in the business. The trihull design was discontinued in 1979, and company emphasis centered on the offshore deep-V hull configuration of the Formula models.

Formulas were manufactured in California through 1981. In March of 1988, Thunderbird also departed South Florida and consolidated corporate and production headquarters in a brand new, state-of-the-art facility in Decatur, Indiana. Formula continued to grow and evolve in the 345,000 square-foot plant, and, in September 2000, production capacity was expanded with a 143,500 square-foot addition. And again in 2006, Formula expanded with an 85,000 square-foot addition.

Vic Porter, chairman of Thunderbird, continues to be actively involved in the business. With the Porter family focusing on quality in every aspect, it is certain that Thunderbird will continue to maintain Formula’s long-established reputation as a premier powerboat worldwide.

Re:1965 Formula By Thunderbird 13 years 2 months ago #40503

• Hank 11
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the info man! Just got her running today. A little tlc on the trailer, and hopefully time to take her out this weekend!!!

Re:1965 Formula By Thunderbird 13 years 1 month ago #40722

• Hank 11
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
Looking for some old broschures and sales pictures on the Formula Jr. So, please let me know if anyone has and info!! B)

Re:1965 Formula By Thunderbird 8 years 9 months ago #118722

Hello from France

I’ll be the new owner of a Formula Thunderbird Junior 1965 next month to restore, I’m looking for the side logo in chrome metal, "Formula by Thunderbird Junior", where is it possible to find it, do you know a place to buy it or someone who makes it?

Thank you
Attachments:

Re:1965 Formula By Thunderbird 8 years 9 months ago #118723

Hank 11,

WELCOME ABOARD.

yours, satx

Resistance to tyrants is obedience to Almighty God.
Thomas Jefferson, 1803

Re:1965 Formula By Thunderbird 8 years 9 months ago #118726

• Dr.Go!
  • Contributing Member
  • Contributing Member
  • Thank you received: 125
I just recently ran across this. The link should show a place that appears to be able to make what you are looking for.

www.vintageboatworks.com/

I hope this works and helps. Good luck. Other members might offer more help. I am fairly new and learning more every day.

Dr.Go! (Mark)

Dr.Go!

Re:1965 Formula By Thunderbird 8 years 5 months ago #122160

THX Mark.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.187 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
( / Boats)

TEE NEE TRAILER W/BEE BOAT
09-11-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online