• Page:

TOPIC: First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude

First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40205

• La007
  • La007's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0
Got this boat & trailer combo on August 5th, I believe it to be a '67 MFG Edinboro, I'm not entirely sure on the year so please correct me if I'm wrong. It has what I believe to also be a '67 Evinrude 80HP outboard. Bought it non-running with the trailer for $350. Worked about 16 hours on it during the weekend with my friend and we finally got it to fire off after we troubleshot for just about everything, it was a bad condenser. After that she fired up and idled fine. Replaced the lower gear oil with the recommended "Type C" lubricant for the electric select-a-shift models. New shear pin for the prop and some other odds and ends you do to prep and old motor to run again. Ran it in a 100 gallon tub to check water pump etc & after that we launched it in our pond and puttered around a bit. It was a pretty great experience for me & a great learning one as well as both my friend and I are 17. Got a video and some photos below hopefully! If anyone has any knowledge of this boat/motor PLEASE let me know! Thanks!

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40206

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Welcome to the Site .Sure is nice to see Younger People do what you guys did instead of sitting on the couch on Video games or something .Ill bet you guys were pretty proud when the Old Girl came back to life .Good Job !!! Im sorry but I dont know much about your boat .I do know your Motor Loves gas and has a good appeatite .Must be hard to water ski in that pond ...L.O.L..She sounded pretty darn good thow .
Larry

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40210

• MarkS
  • Thank you received: 5
Welcome aboard, and "good on ya'" little buddy, nice work so far. Like Larry (bobo), I'm impressed! Sounds like she's running pretty smooth. Even though the water pump appears to be working well, consider installing a new impeller very soon unless it's been recently replaced. Age takes it's toll on the rubber, and if the blades (vanes) crack and break off they can become lodged in the passages and cause severe damage. The fact that you bothered to find out, source, and use the proper gear lube tells me your head is in the right place.

Looks like GA registration on the boat, where are you guys located?

Mark

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40229

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Located in Macon GA. I do believe one of the low/idle jets on the carb got trash in it though, so I'll be cleaning the carb and the motors fuel system as I have already installed a new tank and line. Thanks for the comments and advice, if she performs well in the LAKE test, I'm gonna run new wires, hoses, new points, and impeller and the whole nine yards.

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40232

• MarkS
Sweet, I live in Jackson, 30 minutes north of you, about 15 min. from the lake! We'll have to get together for a cruise when you get her sorted out.

Mark

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40234

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'm thinking her first test will be in either Tobosofkee or Sinclair, not entirely sure yet. The trailers gonna need new tires & bearings/lights. It's also gonna need some new bunks & some extra bunks to let my 2nd experience putting it on the trailer go a little better.

Then, if all goes well I'm gonna do a total resto, painting the top to match my '67 GMC pickup and tow it as a package deal to car shows haha. That may be looking a little far ahead but it's me be optimistic.

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40235

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I am thinking you will then have a real nice classic combo of truck , trailer and boat. keep up the good work and enjoy it.
Jim

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40247

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Wow Nice Old Truck there to .Up North they get pretty Rusty .Im redoing a 56 Glasspar Delmar and a 56 Chevy truck to tow it .If you do a search for Delmar youll find lots on me restoring it .Sure is refreshing to see a young man with his head on straight .Stop on by here anytime if you need some help or just want to B.S. about boats .
Larry

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40255

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Do you guys think I have the '67 MFG Edinboro Special?

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40324

Good catch on the condenser. It's good practice to replace it on any old engine you're working on, if it's bad you can cook your coil. As you say, replace the points, spark plugs, all fuel lines and kit the carb. Money well spent that will save you a lot of headaches later. I think new wire harnesses are available (but a little pricey) if yours is crumbley.

Also be sure to take a look at the timing belt. MARK EVERYTHING! before you take it apart, timing can be a real bear if you're not familiar with it (ask me how I know). Take note of all the timing marks, take pictures, shoot a video, whatever you need to do to make sure you've got it in the same place with the new belt.

Pretty boat, I like it. Walmart sells seats on line, I've got a set in mine and for the price you can't beat them.

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40328

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Yeah timing can be fairly complex thats for sure, the only reason I was able to do all of this was because I rebuilt the 250 straight six in that GMC by myself using a Haynes manual haha. The first thing I did after I got the boat was head down to O'reilly and got an ignition switch (I got no key with it) and then headed on down to the public library and found an Evinrude Outboard Repair Manual and a general topic outboard repair manual and went from there. Folks would be surprised at the kind of stuff you can find in your local library. I'm doing a compression check before I spend anymore money on the engine though, if all checks out it'll get the carb kit, new points and proper condenser (if there not all the same), a coil if I can find one because I've been running a chevy engine coil, and all fuel lines etc..

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40352

• bobo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
Keep up the good work .

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40353

• Neil
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Keep up the great work and keep learning. I really appreciate the fact that you checked at the library. Tons and tons of knowledge for free. At 17 I was eager to tear into anything with a internal combustion engine. It carried me through alot of fun vehicles. You are willing to put in the work and it will pay off big when you are enjoying it. Nice truck and boat. Well done.
Keep the pictures and progress reports coming. If you get stumped on any thing at all, there must be a million years of experience here to help you out. Just ask. You came to the right place.
Neil

Neil and Mary Ousnamer

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40842

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
What are the compression specs on a '67/'68 Evinrude 80HP, I got 90 across all cylinders. Thanks guys, and how hard is it to change the impeller on these motors.

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40888

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
90 is fine on one of these old motors, 007. Great looking GMC! It's gonna be a sharp combo going down the road. Turn a lot of heads. ;)

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40889

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
I can't remember the last time I was impressed with a young mans work and drive. You are going to do well my friend.
God Bless
Jim

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #40926

I am JEALOUS.
That is going to be a serious chick magnet.
Better than a puppy!

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41210

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Possibly going out on her "real" maiden voyage out to the lake either Thursday or Friday when hopefully not many will be out. I'm hoping everything goes well, I've completely replaced all trailer bunks, and added two bunks to help guide it on. Some new lights, wheels, & bearings on one side, repacked the other sides. I want to weld a few things when possible to make it that much more secure, but thats for another day. Fixed a problem with the boat, was running rough but that was due to a bad fuel connector, got that fixed, going to be replacing fuel lines @ the carb. I've been trying to replace the steering wheel, but its frozen on the hub. Are these steering wheels usually pressed on and removed with a steering wheel puller, or retained by some sort of clip? Thanks!

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41236

• MarkS
There is usually a center bolt running through the wheel and helm down through the rack or gearbox. Most wheels have a (some square, some round) "taper" mount to the helm shaft, can be corroded and stuck pretty good! Several good threads on here for how to "persuade" the wheel off, here's the most recent;
www.fiberglassics.com/glassic-forums/2-main-forum/39321-how-do-i-get-the-steering-wheel-off-its-shaft.html#39321

Mark

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41475

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Took the boat to Tobosofkee today. It'll run just fine at high rpm's and cruise around the lake extremely well. However when you slow down to the "shift" zone on the throttle, it bogs down and dies especially when you put it in gear. I'm not sure if the low/idle jets in the carb have gunk in them from sitting, as I havent cleaned them yet, or if its a fuel pressure problem. When it gets low in rpm my dad was keeping it running by pumping the pressure bulb in the fuel line to keep it going. Does the vent on the gas tank cap need to be open or closed? What could be going on, anyone have any ideas?

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41493

• MarkS
Vent open when running, closed for storage. (Best to unhook the fuel line at the motor when you're coming off the lake, let her run until the motor coughs, and shut it off. Leave the fuel line off, as pressure build-up in the tank will push gas back into the fuel system.)

Definitely want to clean and refresh the carbs and the fuel pump with kits, and replace any old hoses. (Don't forget the pulse hose from the crankcase to the fuel pump, I believe that motor has one. They can develop pin-holes and cracks, and cause idle problems as well.) Today's gas wreaks havoc on the old rubber, it will disintegrate quickly and plug up a fresh carb/fuel pump in no time!

Glad to hear you're getting her sorted out, plenty of "season" left around here! ;)

Mark

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41499

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
ditto! what he (Mark) said!

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41508

i've left my gas tank vent open since the day i bought it. (9 gallon tank 3 years ago)even during winter storage. is there a reason for closing it? also the fuel line is connected from 1st time out till i defog and put away for the winter. no problems as of yet. i'm running with the same plugs since 2007. ron

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41571

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Today we bypassed the fuel pump and ran an "IV" drip of premixed gasoline straight to the carb inlet. Ran fine like always above the "start" position on the throttle, however if you lowered it down into the idle range, it started popping out big bubbles from the exhaust out into the water and would suddenly die and sounded like something suddenly "caught". We made sure timing was as right as it could be, however don't rule it out as a problem, could it still be trash in the carb?

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41575

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
007, If the fuel pump was bad, it wouldn't run at WOT without pumping the fuel line bulb.My 63 75hp Johnson lost it's pump last year on the lake and as long as someone give the bulb a squeeze every 5 seconds, she ran fine.Mine has done that "suddenly caught stuff" before and it was the idle mixture adjustment on mine. If yours wont adjust out, pull your carb off,tear it down and soak it in carb cleaner(sprays just don't clean as well) and put a kit in it. The 62 75hp johnny I got this past spring would run great hooked to a hose, but wouldn't turn up on the lake so I done the carb kit.Fixed it up.A clean fresh carb can fix alot of demons :)

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41634

• g3jim
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
is your compression even on all 4 cylinders? low comp can cause your sympton as well as bad crank seal. did you replace the head gaskets yet? I wonder if they may be tired and you are getting some vapor?

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41708

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Would it be good practice to buy a NOS carb kit? Or pay a fortune for one from Sierra? Heres the one I'm thinking of getting this one cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/606-OMC-Carburetor-Repair-Kit-Johnson-Evinrude-NOS-/190567672246?pt=Boat_Parts_Accessories_Gear&hash=item2c5eb7e9b6#ht_3445wt_939

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41724

• MarkS
This is probably going to be one of those subjects where there are different opinions, I'll throw mine out there like a clay pigeon. (Fire away guys!) Normally parts from the O.E. mfg are superior in quality to aftermarket stuff. However, rubber items made "back in the day" had a shelf life of about 10 years, and were not made out of material that would be impervious to today's methanol treated gas. Personally, I go with carb kits made with the improved material, even if you have to go aftermarket. Just my two cents worth.....

Mark

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41729

Try opening the low speed jets.
Has it been checked for " throttle opening too early "
Take the carburetor apart first to see if it actually is in need of a kit.
Most cleaning jobs can be done without a complete kit !!

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41734

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
Mark is right about the NOS verses the newer kits on father time leaving his mark on certain pieces of the kit. I got a kit off of ebay reasonable. Opened it up to find the low speed jet packing rings were ground up into powder.I was lucky and just happened to have left over parts from another kit. As to the newer kits being alcohol resistant,I don't know...jim

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41906

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
Ok, got a hold of a kit and rebuilt the carb, cleaned it well with cleaner and compressed air.. Turned idle screws out 1 1/2 turns and still have the same problem..! I even put the old plugs back in to see if thats the problem and it does the exact same thing!

It will run, run run, drop it into the idle zone and it sputters a bit, it may speed up and run good for a sec and then it'll die. I'm at my limit on knowledge on exactly how these engines work, I honestly have no idea. Does anyone? I do know crankcase oil is leaking into the water from a gasket underneath the main block, I haven't inspected that too far though. Also, this engine has the hot air actuated choke, and the tube that the heat runs through comes from where a valley pan would be on a normal v style car motor, and theres another hole above the tubes hole thats just wide open, what could it be and does it cause my problem? In a picture I found on ebay of someones similar motor theres some sort of vent type thing on it, see pic below. Also, I know it could be electrical but what would cause that in the system?

An open hole is on my motor where the vent is on the engine below

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41929

• Jim L
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
La007 wrote:

Ok, got a hold of a kit and rebuilt the carb, cleaned it well with cleaner and compressed air.. Turned idle screws out 1 1/2 turns and still have the same problem..! I even put the old plugs back in to see if thats the problem and it does the exact same thing!

It will run, run run, drop it into the idle zone and it sputters a bit, it may speed up and run good for a sec and then it'll die. I'm at my limit on knowledge on exactly how these engines work, I honestly have no idea. Does anyone? I do know crankcase oil is leaking into the water from a gasket underneath the main block, I haven't inspected that too far though. Also, this engine has the hot air actuated choke, and the tube that the heat runs through comes from where a valley pan would be on a normal v style car motor, and theres another hole above the tubes hole thats just wide open, what could it be and does it cause my problem? In a picture I found on ebay of someones similar motor theres some sort of vent type thing on it, see pic below. Also, I know it could be electrical but what would cause that in the system?

An open hole is on my motor where the vent is on the engine below

Can you post some pics of this unplugged hole? Did you soak your carb or spray it carb cleaner? I'm not trying to second guess you,just trying to help figure this deal out.I know if I can't figure it out someone else here can . Maybe post it in JEGOs place forum or www.aomci.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=askamember

Re:First boat - 1967? MFG Edinboro w/ 80HP Evinrude 13 years 1 month ago #41938

• La007
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
I'll try and get a pic up as soon as possible. The one should've posted before, I'll fix that. And soaked it and sprayed it, and shot compressed air through just about every passageway.

Ok, got pic on my previous post fixed.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.271 seconds

Donate

Please consider supporting our efforts.

Glassified Ads

Fenders - Tee Nee trailer
( / Parts / Miscellaneous)

noimage
09-30-2024

1958 Skagit Sportster
( / Boats)

1958 Skagit Sportster
09-25-2024

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
( / Boats)

Winner Marauder - the classic 1970 runabout!
09-16-2024

FG Login

FiberGoogle

Who's Online

We have 5403 guests and no members online